Nvidia Scaling broken since 169.04 - Any solutions?

zoglog

Limp Gawd
Well It's been about 4 beta driver releases since then and now we're at 169.25 and Nvidia Scaling is STILL broken...........
Is there any indication that they will ever fix this issue or will I have to use the 169.04 Beta drivers for all eternity. Come on Nvidia................ -_-........

Btw this is for Vista

Here's some pictures of the problem

DSC02166.JPG

DSC02167.JPG

This is via 1280x720 resolution.
And yes my monitor is 16:9

All this worked fine Via Nvidia Scaling in 169.04 and before.

To make matters worse I just replaced my 8800 GTS 640MB with a
8800 GTS 512MB and now I can't even install a 169.04 =(. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a few 480p widescreen games that are getting squished for no real reason.

Try using the other DVI output on the card and see if that helps, sometimes it does in these situations.

Hmmm, I tried the Overscan comp workaround and that didn't work.
Also have tried it with different DVI port and also a different DVI port on the Monitor. No luck whatsoever.

It has to be an issue with something they did with the drivers because what happened basically is the Nvidia Scaling itself just doesn't work even when set. It still uses the display's scaling method. Also in every driver 169.04 and previous, this wasn't an issue at all. I've reverted back and forth between drivers many times every time Nvidia releases a new one and it always works on the previous drivers but none of the ones after 169.04

Edit: Durr - just read you are using Vista. My bad, missed that the first time around. :( The fix I posted was for XP.

IIRC wasn't this broken on Vista before and then fixed while XP users got stuck with the workaround?

Thankfully my monitor scales correctly. I've seen others posting about losing scaling on the newer drivers.

This is th eonly thing preventing me from buying a new card right now. I am sticking with ATI until this is resolved in vista since I want an 8800gts 512 for my htpc and I need to be able to correct overscan.

Supposedly Scaling is broken for XP users as well from the official Nvidia forums. I wonder if that work you posted works for XP users.

But yeah =( Much sadness. At least before I had an alternative until they could get their act together.

good ol nvidia drivers.

are we going back to the nvidia being top performance, but ati being more stable again?

Yeah, for the most part the drivers have been pretty stable (besides Nvidia Control Panel crashing a few times and running really slow for no real reason since I bought my 8800 640MB card......) But anyway, yeah, it's just a feature broke awhile ago and they haven't fixed it yet.

I haven't had stability problems with NVIDIA drivers for some time. Not since before the release of Lost Planet anyway. Some drivers seem to make nice improvements here or there, but generally speaking I've had good results with them.

It doesn't happen with my Dell 3007WFP, no matter what resolution I try. Is this Vista 32-bit or 64-bit? I run 64-bit, so it might make a difference. Have you tried uninstalling and then running a driver cleaner? It may just be how the nvidia cards talk to televisions based DVI/HDMI with these drivers. Heck, DVI/HDMI interfaces through home theater components is bad enough alone. With various incompatibilities, etc.

It doesn't happen with my Dell 3007WFP, no matter what resolution I try. Is this Vista 32-bit or 64-bit? I run 64-bit, so it might make a difference. Have you tried uninstalling and then running a driver cleaner? It may just be how the nvidia cards talk to televisions based DVI/HDMI with these drivers. Heck, DVI/HDMI interfaces through home theater components is bad enough alone. With various incompatibilities, etc.

I'm using a Dell 3007WFP which of course has no hardware scaler chip. I am not sure if that makes any difference. I use NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect ratio which works very well for me.

Supposedly Scaling is broken for XP users as well from the official Nvidia forums. I wonder if that work you posted works for XP users.

It does, I've used it for ages now. It is pretty lame having to run it after every driver update rather than just having working drivers. :|

Interesting - clearly they're borrowing ideas from ATi, whose scaling has never worked. Hoorah, broken scaling for all! Where are 3DFX, S3 et al when you need them!

I use scaling on my system all the time and it works fine. It is Vista, however.

I use scaling on my system all the time and it works fine. It is Vista, however.

What driver Version do you have. I find that hard to believe if it's a newer driver since I've gone back and forth between all the drivers after 169.04 and all the ones after multiple times over and over with the same result.

Nvidia Scaleing works fine for me under XP and 169.21 WHQL's (the beta .21's worked fine too) this is w/ an 8800GT

This is really confusing to me, because i've gone back and forth between 169.04 and all the drivers after it and it always worked for me in 169.04 and when I select it in any version after that it does absolutely nothing.

Too bad I can't go back to 169.04 with the new GTS'....

downloaded 169.28 Beta in hopes it would be fixed, but alas still broken.

Man this sucks. Nvidia hasn't really gotten back to me and no real fix seems to be on the horizion. It just really pisses me off since it's something that worked fine and they broke and won't fix.

Here's to still hoping for a 3rd party fix.

Man this sucks. Nvidia hasn't really gotten back to me and no real fix seems to be on the horizion. It just really pisses me off since it's something that worked fine and they broke and won't fix.

Here's to still hoping for a 3rd party fix.

169.28's and NVIDIA scaling are working for me. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

169.28's and NVIDIA scaling are working for me. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

Are you sure your display isn't doing the scaling? This can only be a driver issue because this happened only in drivers past 169.04 and I was able to have the problem reoccur and dissapear switching back and forth driver versions. Also other people have had this problem on the nvidia forums as well.

Are you sure your display isn't doing the scaling? This can only be a driver issue because this happened only in drivers past 169.04 and I was able to have the problem reoccur and dissapear switching back and forth driver versions. Also other people have had this problem on the nvidia forums as well.

The Dell 3007WFP has no hardware scaler. Therefore it is impossible for it to perform any scaling whatsoever. Now generally I don't need scaling of any kind as I can run almost every game out there at 2560x1600. However I use the scaling for Crysis which I can only run at 1680x1050 at the most and still keep the game playable. The scaling works perfectly for me with Crysis. Now I have had scaling issues in the past but not for at least 5 driver revisions or more.

Hmm that's really strange because i'm certain it's a driver issue for me.

Hmm that's really strange because i'm certain it's a driver issue for me.

Do you use the scaling for all your games and applications or something? For those games or applications you don't need it for, try using it and see what happens.

For gaming, my Dell 2407WFP also scales correctly on every driver I've used.

Do you use the scaling for all your games and applications or something? For those games or applications you don't need it for, try using it and see what happens.

Well for games that don't need scaling it works fine.
One of my games uses anamorphic Widescreen 640x480 which worked fine before =/ (I'm assuming because the Nvidia Scaling actually worked back then)

I have a hunch that the Vista x86, Vista x64 and XP x64 NVIDIA drivers are broken, but XP 32-bit drivers are not. They will attempt to do driver scaling for modes NOT listed in the monitor's EDID. For modes that ARE listed in the EDID it makes no attempt to scale and leaves it up to the monitor. At least that is what I have found with NVIDIA drivers on all of those OS's except XP 32-bit. On XP 32-bit I was able to choose NVIDIA flat panel scaling and have it work for all resolutions without a problem.

Definitely sounds like lazy programming to me.

i'm using 32 bit vista and I still have scaling issues so I doubt it's just that.

Interestingly enough my 22" Acer i'm using as a 2nd monitor scales just fine (AL2223W), but I guess that one has an internal scaler.

I have a hunch that the Vista x86, Vista x64 and XP x64 NVIDIA drivers are broken, but XP 32-bit drivers are not. They will attempt to do driver scaling for modes NOT listed in the monitor's EDID. For modes that ARE listed in the EDID it makes no attempt to scale and leaves it up to the monitor. At least that is what I have found with NVIDIA drivers on all of those OS's except XP 32-bit. On XP 32-bit I was able to choose NVIDIA flat panel scaling and have it work for all resolutions without a problem.

XP-32 hasn't had working display scaling/overscan for 8800s without disabling HDCP in the registry for as long as I can remember.

XP-32 hasn't had working display scaling/overscan for 8800s without disabling HDCP in the registry for as long as I can remember.

Weird, so maybe the fix was only for vista when it was working previously, thought that seems a bit strange to me

The drivers all contain the same resolution/settings code. There is no "lazy programming"

On a similar note I was wondering if anyone had a fix. I have my 8800GT connected to my TV by Svideo. Now I can run my video full screen on my TV, but there is of course overscan. The program allows me to adjust this overscan, but as soon as I do it messes with my aspect ratio. So if it is a 16:9 image it will stretch to 4:3. If I restart then it will be back to 16:9, but with the overscan back. Not to mention there is no way for me to save my overscan settings or keep them as defaults. Anyone have any clue how to address this?

Back