Nvidia RTX 4090 power connectors melting?

They weren't different gauges, just different voltage ratings. That means one would have slightly thicker insulation than the other. Both are more than adequately rated for 12V, so both are acceptable.
My bad, for the wording of my post. What I was getting at was that two different style cables, and two different types of soldering. One being able to break easier than the other.

I respect that he was able to admit they don't have the resources to draw any conclusions, rather than draw false conclusions as other reviewers do.
Too many people are afraid to say "I don't know".
You're right. GN has always been the more level headed of the reviewers out there IMO. Most others are just in it for the views (won't name names, but we all know). I do believe they brought to light about the different cables with more importantly the soldering being different between the two.

My bad, for the wording of my post. What I was getting at was that two different style cables, and two different types of soldering. One being able to break easier than the other.
That is interesting, yes. If I might be permitted to engage in baseless speculation for a moment: We know that nVidia was aware of this problem since September, before the 4090 was released. Therefore it's reasonable to assume that they made changes to address it. Perhaps one of the two designs was the original one that had overheating problems, and the other is a modified design that works properly. Maybe the older ones were never supposed to make it to end-users, but someone somewhere made a mistake and released them, leading to this debacle.

That is interesting, yes. If I might be permitted to engage in baseless speculation for a moment: We know that nVidia was aware of this problem since September, before the 4090 was released. Therefore it's reasonable to assume that they made changes to address it. Perhaps one of the two designs was the original one that had overheating problems, and the other is a modified design that works properly. Maybe the older ones were never supposed to make it to end-users, but someone somewhere made a mistake and released them, leading to this debacle.
That would be a good assumption.

Geez I got to the point Steve is looking for info. Nvidia has a real issue when one of the biggest gaming hardware tubers with 1.7 million subs is offering to buy peoples card at full retail so they can inspect them. That doesn't give anyone the impression you can't trust Nvidia at all does it.

When he was giving people people instructions on how to pull cable sleeves to send him info... I thought ok this is going to make Nvidia upset. Then he progressed to offering to buy cables... and I thought didn't Nvidia want all these back, this isn't going to make them very happy either. Then he full on offered to buy complete cards. ouch

Only Nvidia could launch the fast card ever made... and then alienate most of the market with pricing. Then screw up a cable which probably costs them under a buck so bad that people biting the bullet on the price are too scared to plug them in. To be fair anyone can get bit by iffy suppliers... with reports of these issues before launch though this feels like a pretty massive Nvidia F up.

Two different wire specs between Igor's and GN's both in terms of V rating as well as solder points. Both of which could lead to breaking those wires easier.
This is the question. It would seem that most people are getting 300V + 2 -> 3 cables. If true, this would explain why only a few people are getting defective cables. Otherwise, the mystery continues.

You're right. GN has always been the more level headed of the reviewers out there IMO.
Hmmm? I mean I didn't watch the video (and to fair, not going to I set my limit at about 3 videos on the same exact subject). But that intro/thumbnail pic looks very clickbaity unless they in fact did need to pull out a fire extinguisher and use it

This is the question. It would seem that most people are getting 300V + 2 -> 3 cables. If true, this would explain why only a few people are getting defective cables. Otherwise, the mystery continues.
I am actually leaning more towards it being the socket or combination of the pins in the socket and adapter not mating well rather than the adapter itself.

Hmmm? I mean I didn't watch the video (and to fair, not going to I set my limit at about 3 videos on the same exact subject). But that intro/thumbnail pic looks very clickbaity unless they in fact did need to pull out a fire extinguisher and use it
That may be true, but we have to realize it is still somewhat a form of entertainment. GN certainly has little of the entertainment side compared to others, but their hard work on their topics are above the rest IMO.

I think this is the takeaway since you are lacking any opinion or quoting on this, but rather just posting links as is usual. We have a standing rule here, if you are going to post up links, state your opinion, or do not post it. I am still sticking with my above opinion for the moment, however this is a very interesting statement from JG.

SO, YOU’RE GOOD WITH THE 12VHPWR CONNECTOR?

Yes and no. I’m good with the connector on the GPU side as long as “rules” are followed. Proper material. Proper crimp. Proper wires. And I’m sure most GPUs out there have proper PCB layers, copper weight, etc.

Unfortunately, as of this writing (10/29/2022) Nvidia’s included adapter uses solder, some terminal I’ve never seen before (it has two splits instead of one) and I don’t know what else. Which turns an otherwise excellently designed connector into a disaster.

I am actually leaning more towards it being the socket or combination of the pins in the socket and adapter not mating well rather than the adapter itself.
What would be the main difference with the 3090TI that did not seem to have that issue ?

What would be the main difference with the 3090TI that did not seem to have that issue ?
Dunno, I would have to have a series of connectors from both to dissect in order to answer that.

Do we have a single case of a direct ATX 3.0 connected PSU with no adapter involved that melted the connector of a 4090 ?

Do we have a single case of a direct ATX 3.0 connected PSU with no adapter involved that melted the connector of a 4090 ?
This is what I think is happening to be succinct, which PCI-SIG pointed out in some of its initial reporting.

Now, from there, you can look at the pin and/or socket receptacle constriction/design. I do not think it is the solder/crimp joints from what I have seen. Just a guess, I have no hands on, I could be 100% incorrect.

1667164958885.png

Cases are listed here if you want to dig in and look for yourself.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ydh1mh/16_pins_adapter_megathread/
100% adapter related (and no founder edition, small and easier to plug or more US market with the better adapter shipped ?), if the list is correct, such a small number of case and with we can imagine a low rate of PSU outthere being 3.0 is maybe not saying much, but the 3090TI while a niche card has been out a very long time.

My suspisions the issues on a direct connection will cause a misfunction not a firehazard (and will be much rarer, it will not accept to send giant quantity of more current to the better least resisting pin, it will stay at 12V. I could be very all wrong.

No FE's reported. No third party cables reported (only the supplied adapter).
AIBs got shipped a bad batch of cables, or accidentally an old faulty design.

Or there just aren't enough FE's in the wild for them to start melting.

No FE's reported. No third party cables reported (only the supplied adapter).
AIBs got shipped a bad batch of cables, or accidentally an old faulty design.

I would suggest to you from the data that I got, that FEs were likely 3 to 5% of the total cards sold in NA. And just to be brutally honest, NVIDIA's quality control is much higher than any AIB overall. But of course NV can be, as they have are making a lot less cards and keep boots on the ground while those are being produced.

Seem to be by far the most common model on the reselling web site, but it could still be very little considering the large amount of models there are and that the lowest priced one that have good demand like the FE would be a scalper top choice:
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=RTX+4090&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

11 of the 60 last sold on ebay were FEs and that giant near 20% seem to be common

Just checked my connector and it still appears to be fine. I've also accidentally banged the edge of it against the card a few times while I was trying to disconnect it, and it still shows no damage. These connectors are tough... assuming you get a good one.

Seem to be by far the most common model on the reselling web site, but it could still be very little considering the large amount of models there are and that the lowest priced one that have good demand like the FE would be a scalper top choice:
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=RTX+4090&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

11 of the 60 last sold on ebay were FEs and that giant near 20% seem to be common
All that tells you is that Best Buy sold the most to bots. You can see my comment above on quantities, it is very close to perfectly accurate. It is not a guess.

It really seems like the issue with these are the same as the issue i have with Molex 4 pin power. The fuckin pins wobble around in the housings and never want to line up cause tolerances are poor. Sad thing is they werent built like this in the 90s and they didnt have the issue anywhere near as bad.

It really seems like the issue with these are the same as the issue i have with Molex 4 pin power. The fuckin pins wobble around in the housings and never want to line up cause tolerances are poor. Sad thing is they werent built like this in the 90s and they didnt have the issue anywhere near as bad.

It's not that Molex connectors were better in the 90s. It's that in the 2000's, you started dealing with a lot more cheap adapters -- Molex to SATA; Molex to 6pin PCI-e; all manner of trash-tier cooling and lighting fire hazards. Actual PSU-end and device connectors were always way more solid less garbage.

They were, however, still garbage.

So the short version is, Nvidia and possibly other brand's cables are badly made?

It's borderline amusing reading some of the theories knocking about online about this, the mental gymnastics on display is amazing. I've even seen one guy claim people are buying 4090's and are pissed off at the high price, so they're staging the issues with these cables as a "fuck you" to nvidia. :rolleyes:

Yup, tinfoil hat mode for sure..

I could convince myself though of people possibly doing it for attention and clicks for ad revenue if it could exceed the value of the card.

But seriously why cant someone who is able to take photographs end up with one of these. These pics keep looking like sasquatch photos using potatoes as cameras

I could convince myself though of people possibly doing it for attention and clicks for ad revenue if it could exceed the value of the card.

But seriously why cant someone who is able to take photographs end up with one of these. These pics keep looking like sasquatch photos using potatoes as cameras
It's also funny how most of these don't show how the card and cable sat in their case.

Taking a good photo of something that small requires a macro lens, and not many people have one of those, even if they can take good photographs otherwise.
oh i know how to take photos, im saying it would be nice if this happened to someone that could as well. when taking pics to send to our manufacturers sometimes i just end up using an eye loupe and my phone.

Back