Nvidia RTX 3000 Series "LHR" SKU Re-Release

Ugh. I hope the GPUs that I ordered back in November don't have this once they eventually ship. They're for a simulation rig, but I was hoping I could leave them mining during down time in order to make back the $ wasted by having to buy them in a bundle.

I'm a data scientist that uses these cards, anyone have knowledge on if this will have an effect on work?

On the flip side, this is good, I'm thinking that the card shortage due to crypto mining perhaps has an effect on the gaming market as whole. So even though Nvidia isn't hurting whatsoever, perhaps their partners are really hurting, lower pc component sales, gaming sales, etc.

I'm a data scientist that uses these cards, anyone have knowledge on if this will have an effect on work?

On the flip side, this is good, I'm thinking that the card shortage due to crypto mining perhaps has an effect on the gaming market as whole. So even though Nvidia isn't hurting whatsoever, perhaps their partners are really hurting, lower pc component sales, gaming sales, etc.
What this is going to do is gimp their GeForce line of GPUs for any computation outside gaming, and will now lock anyone who needs FP32 and FP64 non-gimped computation into their RTX/Quadro GPUs - that's not good for anyone but NVIDIA.

What this is going to do is gimp their GeForce line of GPUs for any computation outside gaming, and will now lock anyone who needs FP32 and FP64 non-gimped computation into their RTX/Quadro GPUs - that's not good for anyone but NVIDIA.
FP64 is already gimped. There is zero reason to think FP32 is going to be gimped . Compute in general won't be effected.

FP64 is already gimped. There is zero reason to think FP32 is going to be gimped . Compute in general won't be effected.
I assume (and could swear I read this on HN) they use some sort of classifier to try to detect crypto workloads.
If that's true then there are probably a number of non-cryptomining workloads which will be gimped on these cards.

I am clearly no fan of mining, but arbitrarily locking down general compute HW with bullshit firmware/DRM/licensing is absolutely unacceptable.

I should have said more gimped for FP64 - let's hope not.

I really hope that's the case, I really can't afford to buy a tesla or even a quadro.

AMD did the same thing back in 2015 with the R9 300 series. The previous gen R9 280x could do ~870 or 1024 GFLOPS FP64 (depending on core clock), which was crippled to ~248 GFLOPS on the R9 380x. So if you wanted FP64 perf, you had to buy the more expensive FirePro workstation cards.

AMD did the same thing back in 2015 with the R9 300 series. The previous gen R9 280x could do ~870 or 1024 GFLOPS FP64 (depending on core clock), which was crippled to ~248 GFLOPS on the R9 380x. So if you wanted FP64 perf, you had to buy the more expensive FirePro workstation cards.
Yep. My 7900 series cards did crazy compute performance on DC projects utilizing FP64.

I assume (and could swear I read this on HN) they use some sort of classifier to try to detect crypto workloads.
If that's true then there are probably a number of non-cryptomining workloads which will be gimped on these cards.

I am clearly no fan of mining, but arbitrarily locking down general compute HW with bullshit firmware/DRM/licensing is absolutely unacceptable.
The initial version on 3060's - that was defeated when NVidia accidentally released a driver that didn't enforce it - was so specific it only blocked the specific algorithm ether used. Which made it largely symbolic even before the fail since miners could just do one of the other GPU alt-coins that weren't nerfed. Blocking the entire product line going forward will eventually probably have some effect though; the alt coins are all a lot smaller so it won't take nearly as much mining capacity to swamp them and send their difficulty/reward dropping significantly. That's probably months in the future though.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's not a hardware limitation but firmware. Miners will figure out a way to flash the older versions of firmware on the newer cards.

It's too late to actually matter, Eth mining is on its way out starting in July (a month after the LHR cards launch), not sure if miners will still be scooping up cards after the 30% nerf. If proof of stake hits at the end of the year then it's totally dead. And it doesn't seem like people are rushing to mine the other coins.

All of the mining cards that could cause a Used market crash (re: 2018), have already been purchased between January and now. Nvidia has stopped nothing.
For the record, the 2018 boom lasted 8 months total, and it was enough to wreck the market when Turing launched. It took 6 months for Nvidia to roll out LHR this time.

Last edited:
Looks like if you're in the EVGA stepup queue, you may end up with an LHR model by the time it finally ships.

1622183308384.png

Last edited:
Back