Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti graphics cards are dying on a lot of users

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Master_shake_, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

Why are we even talking about lighting though? I Think all the lights in my house combined are less than 150W ( 6-10W LEDs)

Armenius likes this.
  2. Gideon

Gideon 2[H]4U

Lots of people still run regular bulbs at 60 watts, but yeah the conversation is silly to some extent. But if you do come close to overloading a circuit the voltage can drop and it will be much harder on the power supply which can cause them to fail. Reality is Nvidia has a problem with their 2000 series that is causing the cards to fail, figure how few there are and how many reports of failures and yeah not everyone had a bad power supply as most people that bought such cards are running sufficient power supplies.

3. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Code 43 is usually associated with a dead piece of hardware.
    The FE has one 6-pin and one 8-pin. Combined with the 6.25A from the slot it can handle 300W. But the PCI-E cables can be overprovisioned if need be. I ran a Maxwell Titan X for years with a custom 450W BIOS without issue, and that was also run with one 6-pin and one 8-pin. So long as the +12V rail from the PSU isn't being overloaded it's fine. My power supply can go up to 70A on the +12V rail, and I was using around 55A.
    The issue with the RX 480 was that it was overprovisioning the PCI-E slot, pulling 8-9A. Testing of the 2080 Ti shows it pulling no more than 5.5A from the slot. The slot is specified to handle up to 6.25A, or 75W. The cables have overprovisioning room built in. A proper 8-pin mated to a strong PSU has no problem handling 15-18A. AMD's own R9 295X2 used an average of 450W while gaming on two 8-pin cables, or 150W + 150W + 75W = 375W max according to PCI-E specification. The difference is AMD had well-defined power requirements for the card while I don't see anything similar from NVIDIA, but in stock condition the FE is still well within spec.

4. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

The question is... if I can get Nvidia to certify my house for use with their cards, will I get a special badge that I can stick on the front?

Maddness, sk3tch, Dayaks and 4 others like this.
  5. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

...and will it [the badge] be RGB? :p

6. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

It will be green and I will like it!

GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  7. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

I was going to buy a 2080Ti but didn't get my mortgage ;)

sk3tch, Armenius and Master_shake_ like this.
  8. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Blaming memory on Reddit

cybereality likes this.
  9. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

10. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

ZOTAC refuses to pay shipping for RMA. Just a heads up to anyone considering purchasing from them.

Mav451, sk3tch, CoreStoffer and 5 others like this.
  11. zerogg

zerogg Limp Gawd

Are watercooled cards failing as well?

12. LBJM

LBJM Limp Gawd

That sucks I've been thinking about getting a 1070 ti mini from them.

13. Johnny_Utah

Johnny_Utah Limp Gawd

I don't think this is a cooling issue--it seems to be vendor specific to some degree but it's hard to nail down. I've seen more reports of the Nvidia FE cards failing than others. I'm watercooling 2 EVGA Ti XC Ultras and haven't had issues.

zerogg likes this.
  14. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Serious question.. does anyone pay for RMA shipping? I thought standard practice if you didn't pre-pay for something extended was you pay to get the card to them, and they cover shipping to you.

I mean last two times I've tried to RMA, I've been given an obstacle course (Sandisk SSD), or talked out of it (MSI) by telling me how long and painful it'd be.

CAD4466HK likes this.
  15. valkrien

valkrien Limp Gawd

16. cybereality

cybereality [H]ardness Supreme

Nvidia did an advanced replacement for me, sent me the new card in about a week and also sent a pre-paid label for me to print out.

I still have both cards, I'm doing more stability testing to be sure the new card is working but things look good so far.

Armenius likes this.
  17. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Most places I deal with over RMAs for customer stuff, it's you pay to ship item to them, they pay to send the RMA back. Unless there is some advanced RMA going on. I don't RMA stuff often (maybe once every 6 months if that. Last item I sent back was a EVGA power supply, only sent literally the PS itself back, got back a fully shrink wrapped entire boxed PS. Had to pay shipping to get it to them. Sent it USPS cheapest option, heavy power supplies can get a bit $$$ to send back.

18. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Most of these cards are new enough that you should be within the return window for most places.

If a manufacturer wanted me to pay shipping for RMA i'd laugh and just return the card to Amazon/Newegg/whoever. Fuck that noise.

Armenius, Killdozer and cybereality like this.
  19. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I’m sure most people want a card back sometime soon, rather than go back to fishing for a deal. My time is worth more than that.

cybereality likes this.
  20. Advil

Advil [H]ard|Gawd

You can't send it back to the retailer after 30 days.

Also, all the RTX cards sold on Newegg were "return for replacement" only. You can't get your money back, just another card.

Also power supplies. I go through a LOT of Corsair power supplies. I rarely have a bad one but I'm sending one back right now. It's just under 2 months old. I have to pay shipping to them. That's how it is.

Armenius likes this.
  21. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

My only experience with a Corsair power supply was from around 8 years ago at this point, and it gave me headaches for years across two different builds. The first build was a nForce chipset and I thought it was freezing because it was.. nForce. Then when I got an intel chipset and was getting the same freezing issues I realized it was the shitty corsair power supply. I only buy Seasonic now.

22. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

It's just one and a half memory modules effected. Releasing a driver/firmware to utilize only 9.5GB of memory soon. :p

Master_shake_ likes this.
  23. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I run my 2950x on Corsair HX1000i on 240v. No chance in hell of voltage dipping unless its utilities fault

24. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

Checked my PSU, 99.9A on the 12V rail available. Not near maxing it. Card working fine, I think other than some specific driver bugs related to RTX, I've been good.

For RMA, I've been a fan of EVGA for years with their system.

Armenius likes this.
  25. valkrien

valkrien Limp Gawd

2080 ti ref 11.PNG 2080 ti msi 11.PNG

Saw this on another forum. The left side is the stock 2080ti FE, the right side is an MSI 2080ti. The voltage regs are snuggled up against the memory chips on the stock FE. MSI moved them away. The micron chips will self destruct past 90c apparently. This *could* be what we're witnessing. If so, even if my new 2080ti FE is working ok, my thought is that long term survival is pretty low....

26. reaper12

reaper12 2[H]4U

Who did you buy it from? They should be handling your return.

27. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

The power phases should not be getting that hot unless you're doing some serious overclocking. I did see a Reddit post that mentioned slightly underclocking the memory fixed their issues, though. Maybe GDDR6 wasn't ready for prime time, yet.

Johnny_Utah likes this.
  28. Porter_

Porter_ [H]ardness Supreme

interesting. for those of us with Zotac AMP 2080 Ti's, our cards use the reference board design (same as the FE): https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_AMP/5.html
    i'm sure a ton of other AIB cards fall in the same boat.

relevant to this (link was posted by someone else in another thread): https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...leidet-offenbar-an-erhoehter-ausfallrate.html

when overclocked the FE can see ~92 C near the memory, which is rated for 95 C. I don't know if this is making a mountain out of a molehill but it's interesting nonetheless. for the time being i'm removing the fairly low overclock i've got on my card. it will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Armenius and NukeDukem like this.
  29. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Or Micron is just a shitty RAM producer?

30. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

Not in my experience.

31. shansoft

shansoft [H]ardness Supreme

Zotac is a shitty brand with horrible quality issue in the past.

Not sure why people want to purchase from them. Even in China (where they came from) they are consider as the budget brand like Colorful with high failure rate.

NukeDukem likes this.
  32. Could these problems result in a class action suit?

33. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

all depends on the determined cause of failure, the responsible of said failures and how the situation is managed.

34. JMCB

JMCB Limp Gawd

Ugh, I really want to upgrade, but not to this. Guess I'm waiting until this is resolved.

35. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Newegg. Of course my card failed right after the exchange (not return) window so I'm stuck dealing with Zotac.

36. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

What would be the point. They are being replaced with in warranty. With Nvidia they are being quick and saying shipping to replace their cards. Seems Nvidia fucked up and is going to cost them a lot to keep replacing cards already.

37. supastar1568

supastar1568 Limp Gawd

So any indication that there would be an issue here with the 2080 FE cards? or is it just the ti variant?

38. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Evga customers are complaining about high mem temps on there 2080ti ICX cards as they can see the temps on there cards.

39. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Curious, how is the temp they are reporting.

SickBeast likes this.