NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti Failures: Gamers Nexus Rules Out "Thermals, Firmware, Windows"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Gamers Nexus has published what appears to be the last article in its series of RTX 2080 Ti investigations. According to Steve’s testing, “thermals were not the issue with these cards,” nor was firmware, as artifacting occurred even under newer revisions. The exact cause of failure remains a mystery, but engineers in the industry suggest it is a “board-level assembly” or “in-silicon” issue.

Speaking with some engineers in the industry, we’re left with an assumption that this is either a board-level assembly issue or an in-silicon issue. NVIDIA has noted that it is replacing any affected cards, so there’s that. The company described these units as “test escapes” and seems to think that the problem is fixed going forward. We have exceedingly high confidence that this is a hardware-level issue, but it does not appear to be an epidemic.

I'm assuming these failure rights are the only thing putting downward pressure on 2080ti prices.

Take what I can get, since I'm not seeing anything else on horizon.

Saw someone estimated the math and if every GPU gen jumped prices as much 1080ti to 2080ti in 10 years gpu would launch at 9k $

Saw someone estimated the math and if every GPU gen jumped prices as much 1080ti to 2080ti in 10 years gpu would launch at 9k $

I'll estimate the math for failure rate for you right now:

If the failure rate and severity continue along the trajectory, you might as well buy on credit or commercial paper, because your $9k card will be DOA, and it'll kill you when you open the box.

If the failure rate and severity continue along the trajectory, you might as well buy on credit or commercial paper, because your $9k card will be DOA, and it'll kill you when you open the box.

But it should handle ray tracing @ 1440p pretty handsomely by then.

Obviously, no one reads my posts.

The Vpp supply, and lack of caps are the prob.

It will be awhile until it's confirmed, but it's super cereal. :)

The fact I can't find numbers on datasheets is proof to me; if they won't publish, it's bad, m'kay?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
And this guy is an computer hardware engineer? More like a weekend mechanic.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'm assuming these failure rights are the only thing putting downward pressure on 2080ti prices.

Take what I can get, since I'm not seeing anything else on horizon.

And there would be people here trying to tell us that we are ignorant if we don't buy it for $9k or we aren't [H]ard enough or something.

Except there is no downward pressure since warranties exist and supply's still constrained. Anyone motivated enough to buy a $1200 GPU isn't going to be put off by the minor inconvenience of swapping in a replacement.

Unfortunately, the magic moment of "cheap 2080Ti's" some people are hoping for as a byproduct of this failure drama I just don't see happening. Would be nice, but won't.

Last edited:
Its called "Made in China"

Biggest example of this is Chinese steel vs anybody else... Chinese steel is crap. I have a 30 year old american stainless chef's knife, that aside from being heavily used, it has no stains, pitting or oxidize on it. All the chinese "stainless" knives I have ever bought, usually wind up stained, pitted, and or become heavily oxidized within the first few months. I have always noticed the same with pots and pans as well. It all boils down to the purity of the materials going in, and adhering to a strict process. They just don't do it. When things breaks, they send you a new one quickly unless you report them to the "authorities" (leave a bad review) in which case they deny everything and blame you for breaking their "quality" merchandise.

Someone probably found they could manufacture the caps or VRMs cheaper by slightly adding in cheaper materials. They work functionally fine, until a few uses and the stuff bakes. My guess is, someone doped the silicon a bit to much this time, or they just used a grade lower than they were supposed to and "claimed" the higher grade. Someone should start looking at bin numbers... if there are any numbers left that is...

Its called "Made in China"

Biggest example of this is Chinese steel vs anybody else... Chinese steel is crap. I have a 30 year old american stainless chef's knife, that aside from being heavily used, it has no stains, pitting or oxidize on it. All the chinese "stainless" knives I have ever bought, usually wind up stained, pitted, and or become heavily oxidized within the first few months. I have always noticed the same with pots and pans as well. It all boils down to the purity of the materials going in, and adhering to a strict process. They just don't do it. When things breaks, they send you a new one quickly unless you report them to the "authorities" (leave a bad review) in which case they deny everything and blame you for breaking their "quality" merchandise.

Someone probably found they could manufacture the caps or VRMs cheaper by slightly adding in cheaper materials. They work functionally fine, until a few uses and the stuff bakes. My guess is, someone doped the silicon a bit to much this time, or they just used a grade lower than they were supposed to and "claimed" the higher grade. Someone should start looking at bin numbers... if there are any numbers left that is...

Blame China all you want. The math makes perfect sense for the profits of American companies, so there we go. If that weren't the case, they would move manufacturing somewhere else.

Looks like its a little more than just a few "Test Escapes"...uh ah Ngreedia …:D

Did you know that the average rate for a hotel room 30 years ago was $19? Today, it's $237. That's a 1,300% increase, so it's not inconceivable to think that in another 30 years, a week in a hotel runs you 20 grand.

FYI: eTeknix just reported that NVidia has dropped the 2080 TI from its on-line store.

Which on further thought could just mean that demand is so far outstripping supply that they don't even want to take more orders. Seems unlikely, but maybe there's precedent for it.

Last edited:
Something I've been thinking about since the stated norm #'s for these rma's.

It's been difficult, to say the least, to obtain a 2080TI for most on the planet. That being said, we have no idea how much bad inventory is out there that simply has not made it to the streets yet.

Interesting that 2070s are doing this too. nGreedia’s Space Invaders Easter egg is quite entertaining to watch develop.

Test escape my ass.

FYI: eTeknix just reported that NVidia has dropped the 2080 TI from its on-line store.

Which on further thought could just mean that demand is so far outstripping supply that they don't even want to take more orders. Seems unlikely, but maybe there's precedent for it.

They usually put a notify me tag On the product if it sells fast and sells out. They never take the product off the page. They stopped making 1080ti, yet the Fe card is still on their site.

Screenshot_20181118-131435.jpg

GN already has been wrong on this issue. Sillicon could be the culprit but ram at 95°c isn't helping either.

This shitposting meme I made has never been more relevant than now...

tree of RTX.jpg

I just had a gigabyte 2080ti gaming oc perish. This was after a month of use with no issues whatsoever. I did not overclock as there was no need. It was handling 120+hz on ultra settings so no need to OC. My monitor only is 100hz and ultra settings all games with ULMB was my goal and it was met with this card.

Then it simply died in the middle of BF5. In the middle of a game I got an error the GPU was removed from the system! No I did not remove the GPU just to be clear.

Post crash I attempted DDU. Could not even get card to post. Fresh install of windows,etc. The card is dead after a month. Blank screen. Odd as usually hardware failures occur earlier than A MONTH?

In retrospect, The only thing I tried different before the sudden death was the ray tracing. I tried RTX for a short time however due to the very large FPS hit I was RTX off when the crash occured.

I will RMA but it is something I wanted to avoid.
Currently using another card just fine so there are no other system issues, besides gpu.

Last edited:
Someone should tell him to send it to Kyle rather than the weekend GPU guy. I would, but I refuse to have a Twitter account.
Yeah it looks like my 2080ti was a casualty of BF5 as well. Described in a separate post. Just to add I had the same "space invaders" mesh pattern across screen just before it crashed

Last edited:
Everytime I see that guys hair....some folks can carry it off...he can't.

Someone should tell him to send it to Kyle rather than the weekend GPU guy. I would, but I refuse to have a Twitter account.

And what is Kyle going to do about it? Shoot it? Actually... Fuck yeah, send it to Kyle...

If it was me, I’d send the thing to the Blendtec guy, and send the dust back to nGreedia in a used Twinkie packet.

nGreedia RTX smoke, don’t breathe this...

I just had a gigabyte 2080ti gaming oc perish. This was after a month of use with no issues whatsoever. I did not overclock as there was no need. It was handling 120+hz on ultra settings so no need to OC. My monitor only is 100hz and ultra settings all games with ULMB was my goal and it was met with this card.

Then it simply died in the middle of BF5. In the middle of a game I got an error the GPU was removed from the system! No I did not remove the GPU just to be clear.

Post crash I attempted DDU. Could not even get card to post. Fresh install of windows,etc. The card is dead after a month. Blank screen. Odd as usually hardware failures occur earlier than A MONTH?

In retrospect, The only thing I tried different before the sudden death was the ray tracing. I tried RTX for a short time however due to the very large FPS hit I was RTX off when the crash occured.

I will RMA but it is something I wanted to avoid.
Currently using another card just fine so there are no other system issues, besides gpu.
dude WTF this exact same shit happened to me! new OS install, driver and game update. Card worked perfect for the last several weeks, no OC or anything changed. Turned on Dx12 and RTX, BF5 ran for about 2 minutes and it started to spit artifacts and crashed. Card will post but will not run any game for more than a minute or less and that's even with BF5 set back to DX11. I threw an old 1080 in there and everything works perfect again. 2080Ti is on its way to the graveyard for a full refund, no way am I putting another one of those turds in my house at $1200. What a shit show of a launch with bloated pricing. FFS someone please compete in this market! lol

dude WTF this exact same shit happened to me! new OS install, driver and game update. Card worked perfect for the last several weeks, no OC or anything changed. Turned on Dx12 and RTX, BF5 ran for about 2 minutes and it started to spit artifacts and crashed. Card will post but will not run any game for more than a minute or less and that's even with BF5 set back to DX11. I threw an old 1080 in there and everything works perfect again. 2080Ti is on its way to the graveyard for a full refund, no way am I putting another one of those turds in my house at $1200. What a shit show of a launch with bloated pricing. FFS someone please compete in this market! lol
At least you can refund. Was a month out for me so I am stuck with RMA...shipping on me no less! Maybe if this "repair" one is a turd I will cut my losses and go skeet shooting

I feel for ya guys. I do not recall a PC item of this cost, having this kind of issues. Correct me if I am wrong. There must have been a few?
Some may say the high priced Intel chips that have the current speed crippling patches, but these still work regardless. Myself I am drawing a blank as far as failing hardware that expensive.
Like many have said. Ware's the competition? We are truly in the dark days of GPU's.

At least you can refund. Was a month out for me so I am stuck with RMA...shipping on me no less! Maybe if this "repair" one is a turd I will cut my losses and go skeet shooting
I work in the channel which makes that much easier but under normal circumstances i'd be hosed. I'm very sorry to hear RMA is your only option and I do hope you get a solid working card as the replacement. You also absolutely should not be paying shipping, i'd fight that as much as possible. The margin made on these from the top down is ludicrous and they should be able to cover that easily. good luck man and game on.

I work in the channel which makes that much easier but under normal circumstances i'd be hosed. I'm very sorry to hear RMA is your only option and I do hope you get a solid working card as the replacement. You also absolutely should not be paying shipping, i'd fight that as much as possible. The margin made on these from the top down is ludicrous and they should be able to cover that easily. good luck man and game on.
Thanks and I did already ask gigabyte and they were firm on paying shipping for return. Only rma experience I have had was with an asus monitor. Asus picked up the cost automatically just sent me a shipping label. This will be my last purchase with gigabyte it seems.
I have been doing research on nvidia forums. It seems a lot of these cards are being repaired and returned rather than replaced.

Glimmer of hope is I talked with Gigabyte again today and they said they do not have any 2080ti repair plans and no stock so they have been giving refunds. I certainly am hoping for this option and will stick with my "old" Rx Vega setup at least it works.

Last edited:
Back