NVIDIA RTX 2070 & 2060 Super at Amazon

Remember when AIB prices were lower than reference prices?.

Unless the cooler was utter garbage or the custom PCB was made of horrible parts (see: some bottom of the barrel Sapphire and MSI models of the past), non-reference AIB cards have almost always been more expensive than the pure reference models. AMD and Nvidia reference set ups have always been on the bottom rung of prices for GPUs. Since everything is just bought from either company and the AIB slaps their brand on it vs designing a custom cooling solution or an entire custom PCB its not only cheaper but also they're competing with every other AIB doing the same thing so its advantageous to stick with the MSRP. In the past there were simply more cards at, or near, MSRP than there are now, but custom AIB cards were still more expensive than MSRP.

I think what people didn't realize is that "super" was from nvidia's perspective, not yours.

Prices like these are why I still game at 1440p and not 4k. It costs too much to maintain good frame rates at 4k for little benefit in real world visuals.

Bitcoin is on its was north again. Get your cards while the gettins good. Because 4 months from now its gonna suck.

Unless the cooler was utter garbage or the custom PCB was made of horrible parts (see: some bottom of the barrel Sapphire and MSI models of the past), non-reference AIB cards have almost always been more expensive than the pure reference models. AMD and Nvidia reference set ups have always been on the bottom rung of prices for GPUs. Since everything is just bought from either company and the AIB slaps their brand on it vs designing a custom cooling solution or an entire custom PCB its not only cheaper but also they're competing with every other AIB doing the same thing so its advantageous to stick with the MSRP. In the past there were simply more cards at, or near, MSRP than there are now, but custom AIB cards were still more expensive than MSRP.

I admit there's a lot of crap AIB product out there but in Maxwell/Pascal era some of the partners stepped up and for relatively minor price increases you could get significantly better cooler and OC options over the reference/founders version that for price vs performance comparisons were cheaper. I got my 2x Gigabyte G1 970's for $20 each over reference and those came with the 3 fan windforce cooler plus nice OC's that could go even further. Possibly thousands of hours on those cards until I gave them away. I paid $50 more for Stix 1080TI and got nearly +400mhz over 'founders' clock and once again better cooling. I admit my wording in the other post may not have been the best but it's a fact that for small price increases there have been AIB's who gave more bang for the buck. Still rocking that thing for 1440p. With Turing that went out the window. NV said $999 but most AIB's were $200-$300 more not $20 or even $50 at release. To me, that's a pretty big spike. I don't remember the exact detail but I did read the NV was going to forego something with these supers to the AIB's. Maybe the cooler? This has been rumored to lower the cost to the AIB so we'll see.

Not only are they still in use but lots of people are buying them now with EVGA bstock deals and how cheap they go used.

I was finally ready to pull the trigger on them back when rumors of the 1080's were floating around. Unfortunately instead of the new/used prices dropping they had either held or gone up back then. About 2 months later the 1080's came out and I got a pair but I still look back at those 980Ti's and think how the pairing of the core/mem was one of the most evenly matched ever. The 1080TI with 11GB was neat but strange. You only really see it used at 4k with max settings in a demanding game but then it's working hard for 40-60fps. The super 2080 should finally reach a point it can get closer to4k/60fps but that 8GB is going to be a limiter(I saw it with my 1080's) and the 2080TI is a mostly right match, except price of course, but the 980Ti's were spot on. The core clocks were ample for 1080p/1440p and even today there's many games that will hit 4-5+ GB even in 1440p. I don't know if it's always been that way but I've also noticed the x80Ti's often will go up in price around the time a new gen x80Ti is about to be introduced. Saw it with both Maxwell and Pascal. At this point, though, I doubt that will happen with the current gen.

I admit there's a lot of crap AIB product out there but in Maxwell/Pascal era some of the partners stepped up and for relatively minor price increases you could get significantly better cooler and OC options over the reference/founders version that for price vs performance comparisons were cheaper. I got my 2x Gigabyte G1 970's for $20 each over reference and those came with the 3 fan windforce cooler plus nice OC's that could go even further. Possibly thousands of hours on those cards until I gave them away. I paid $50 more for Stix 1080TI and got nearly +400mhz over 'founders' clock and once again better cooling. I admit my wording in the other post may not have been the best but it's a fact that for small price increases there have been AIB's who gave more bang for the buck. Still rocking that thing for 1440p. With Turing that went out the window. NV said $999 but most AIB's were $200-$300 more not $20 or even $50 at release. To me, that's a pretty big spike. I don't remember the exact detail but I did read the NV was going to forego something with these supers to the AIB's. Maybe the cooler? This has been rumored to lower the cost to the AIB so we'll see.

Yep. That's why I said there used to be more cards "at, or near, MSRP". Pascal started to push AIB prices up, but Nvidia's change to how it handled FE cards with Turing really shot AIB prices through the roof.

I'd love to see a poll or story on how many people are still holding onto their 980Ti's. One of the best gens imho.

I had not looked up 980 Ti performance before but just did now and it looks to be very close (fps in games) to a GTX 1070. On eBay it's priced the same as a GTX 1070 but 1070 has 2 GB more mem and runs much cooler because thirdly, it uses far less power. I've read many complaints about high prices on eBay regarding GPU cards but GPU customers brought it upon themselves (due to ignorance on the customer's part)

Saw a commercial that said, "An educated Consumer is our Best Customer!" and was wondering: What planet were they referring too :barefoot:

Lick the bucket???? :D LOL! I assume you meant kick the bucket but, sooner or later, 4k will be viable and now worse than today's prices. That said, getting a good HDR, Freesync 4k monitor is not going to be cheap.

I'm at 1440p/144hz now.

Considering I generally purchase games on steam < $10 (a few) and < $5 (most), I think I'll upgrade to a 4k, HDR, 144hz, ips monitor for $300 sometime around 2025 to 2030 so I can play games that came out in 2020/2021 on my used 5080Ti Super.

Yep. That's why I said there used to be more cards "at, or near, MSRP". Pascal started to push AIB prices up, but Nvidia's change to how it handled FE cards with Turing really shot AIB prices through the roof.

Yeah, back then it was $20 and it was certainly sensible. Now it is $50-70 more. You'll practically never see GPUs at MSRP. And these days you really don't want reference cards. Modern GPUs are just too hot and loud without a good aftermarket cooler. Once you use a decent cooler you just can't go back.

Once you use a decent cooler you just can't go back.

Totally agree. I've had 2 gens of G1's and now Strix's and both with a 3 fan design. All were OC'd from factory and then went some more. I don't know about any other brands but I've been happy with those(although the MSI Trio 2080TI really had me interested).

Yeah, back then it was $20 and it was certainly sensible. Now it is $50-70 more. You'll practically never see GPUs at MSRP. And these days you really don't want reference cards. Modern GPUs are just too hot and loud without a good aftermarket cooler. Once you use a decent cooler you just can't go back.

As far as reference coolers go, I agree. Though, I still prefer reference PCBs in case I want to throw a waterblock on them. Non-reference PCBs get pretty limited support and it can become a bit of a pain to find non-reference blocks a couple years down the road when the one manufacturer that produced them has stopped making new ones or when they only make a limited run.

As far as reference coolers go, I agree. Though, I still prefer reference PCBs in case I want to throw a waterblock on them. Non-reference PCBs get pretty limited support and it can become a bit of a pain to find non-reference blocks a couple years down the road when the one manufacturer that produced them has stopped making new ones or when they only make a limited run.

Too true. I haven't jumped into water yet but the amount of reviews I've read completely support what your'e saying. Another added complication for non-reference waterblocks is when the PCB manufacturer makes a slight change and the blocks no longer fit. I've read a few of those stories too. It's always a PIA when you have to check serial #'s to figure out which version you have before ordering something and the hope they send the right one.

I know there's a thread here on the woes of Asus support, and it sounds like they deserve all the negative coverage, but I've had great experiences with their cards over the years. I'll just rack it up to good luck. I mention them because their custom TI PCB's often get great reviews from tech reviewers that do complete tear downs on them as one of the few to rival or even surpass reference quality. Only problem is Asus 'tax' and like I stated before it wasn't that bad in Maxwell/Pascal days but in Turing they, and many others, took it to a new level.

Lick the bucket???? :D LOL! I assume you meant kick the bucket but, sooner or later, 4k will be viable and now worse than today's prices. That said, getting a good HDR, Freesync 4k monitor is not going to be cheap.

LOL missed that ya lick or kick :p

Nvidia is now partnered with several major finance companies to offer great deals on low interest loans for The RTX 2080 Super.

with approved credit

not all who apply will be approved

your mileage may vary.

You paid that for a new retail card? I paid $700 for a 1070ti, when the 1070ti came out. That was at the height of the Bitcoin Drought.
Don't you love those dum dums that want to let everyone know buying something Used instead of New is cheaper, like it's some revelation.

Even Comix is like "no shit sherlock", and that's a guy that still needs help getting dressed.

Last edited:
My Pascal Titan X (bought at launch in August 2016 for $1200) is still serving me well in my system. Hefty pricetag, but considering I'll probably be using it through at least the end of the year I'm going to get 40 months out of it, so it's only $30 per month of use. Not terrible.

I consider it the best investment I have made in a long time, especially considering its residual value still to professionals.

You paid that for a new retail card? I paid $700 for a 1070ti, when the 1070ti came out. That was at the height of the Bitcoin Drought.
Nope, ebay. I have no interest in paying new/retail & ebay buyer protection is pretty good.

The GTX 1080 I traded up from I bought a year ago at $280, returned from CDW with full manufacturer warranty however...

Is there going to be a SUPER Space Invaders version? I want that

Is it a coincidence that NV is supplying Nintendo ?

Super Space Invaders ? Perhaps they will give us some new classics we didn't even know we wanted. lol

Prices like these are why I still game at 1440p and not 4k. It costs too much to maintain good frame rates at 4k for little benefit in real world visuals.

I think the prices are reasonable tbh. Most people ask companies to release things that are more powerful, cheaper, and cutting edge and expect to have all three catered to. Look at the low end cards now and they are easily as poweful as Top tier cards from 4~5 years ago for $1000, yet we still complain. I also game at 1440p and I'm happy, but I still remember buying the p3 1g for 1k, and the p4ee for expensive also. High end has always been expensive for arguably only a little gain.

Back