Nvidia Rolls Out Shield Experience 5.0.2 To Original Shield Android TV

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Owners of the older Shield have not been forgotten, as Nvidia has just released the Nougat update for the original device. The unit is now at 5.0.2, lining it up with the latest (2017) model, which got its update some weeks ago. Looking at the changelog, owners can look forward to GameStream in 4K, a Nvidia games app, and more, aside from the obvious update to Android 7.0. But as someone who already has an HTPC—can anyone think of a reason I should check this out? Thanks to Zarathustra for this one.

…big update! With Nougat, the SHIELD TV will finally be able to do picture-in-picture, but apps have to support it. Live Channels is the example given as an example of an app with support. The settings will also be less terrible in the new update. More exciting is the addition of Amazon Video to the SHIELD TV, which has been a missing piece of the streaming media puzzle for some time. NVIDIA is revamping some of its gaming features in this update as well. The SHIELD Games, GeForce NOW, and GameStream apps are being merged into the NVIDIA Games app. This might not be live right when you install the update as it requires an update via the Play Store too. GameStream is now supported in 4K HDR, and NVIDIA says latency has been improved. The cloud-based GeForce Now gaming service is getting a performance upgrade to roughly GTX 1080 levels of performance.

For me, the best addition is it now supports Amazon 4k Streaming like the 2017 model.

Up till today, if you could find it, you could use the apk from a Sony tv or since the release of the 2017 model the one from that device to install into your 2015 model and get Amazon 4k.

The Shield TV is easily one of the best buys I've ever made. Nvidia supports it like mad, pushing updates to the thing out every couple months and now that doesn't look like it's going to stop for a long while. I really, really want Nvidia to take a swing at a Shield phone.

Instead of updating my htpc i bought a house, room I selected for office is configured in a way to make it not too far to plug the 980ti in the desktop into the avr with a 15' hdmi cable in a conduit in the wall. But for streaming stuff from a local server or the Internet it's wasteful to use a heavily overclocked x99 system to watch movies etc I think when you can sip electricity with your local server or the internet streaming when watching things by using an efficient local server, fast enough internet, and a fast ARM stb like the Shield. I tested it's wifi, it worked fine but I'm a fair ethernet wallfisher and all the things that don't move regularly are plugged in. Only things that move routinely use wireless. Shield doesn't move so besides test when it came from the internet shopping it's been plugged in for lan.

One major reason for this over a Windows htpc: 90 minute updates when you just want to watch a show. :( Also, Netflix 4k is only on smart TVs, brand new Intel processors, and certain Android TV boxes, including this one.

I was in the same boat... been holding on to the HTPC forever, the one box to rule them all. When media center was around you could do TV, DVR, Music, Pictures everything form one interface with one remote. Win 8 tried to get rid of it, win 10 killed it all together. Windows 10 doesn't natively support using a remote control to do everything and the WAF for using a mouse or similar device was low. And the laziness factor also doesn't help.

Only main benefit now for the HTPC is being able to play a DVD or Blu-ray disc, which admittedly rarely happens anymore... but does on occasion (redbox, friends etc). I primarily rip things to my plex server.

Pros to the shield over a HTPC:

Previously the other main benefit of the HTPC was outputting Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.... the shield can supposedly do that now along with Atmos and more (still have to bring it home to try been tinkering with it at work for a while now lol)

Easy to use clean interface controllable with a simple remote.

IR control of Receiver or TV volume

HDMI CEC control to turn off TV (don't know how it would handle a receiver)

With my Kids going off to college I no longer needed the HTPC to function as a gaming PC, Nvidia gamestream handles this task.... but I can also hook up an external HDD to the shield load up roms and also have local retro gaming :) sure I could prob buy games on the NVidia store too... y tho. So now I can play the games on my main Rig (5930k, 1080sli) through the shield at up to 4k :D (now I just need a 4k receiver to match the power on my 3808CI lmao)

FAST... Netflix and other video services load instantly when clicking on a movie or show episode. I don't get the annoying red circle of loading

If you don't like the remote, or want a keyboard and mouse or other device...add it.. it'll work

New controller is great so far, still not crazy about the D-Pad but it works well enough.

Sideloading apps, can have Chrome, teamviewer and etc all on the shield.

Live Channels!!!! Wow... I was able to sideload the old HDHomerun app and the Live Channels app gives me an EPG with my local detected channels!! Hopefully DirecTV now will get off their asses and get an app out for androiud TV and integrate this with live channels.

I can Chromecast anything to it.

13 Watt usage while doing things (streaming etc) 6.5 Watt when idle 6 watt when in sleep mode (this is with a small USB 3 2TB drive plugged in that is powered off the USB port). If I unplug the drive it uses 4 Watt in sleep mode.... so still drains some power.

Loving my shield but will love it more when The Actual Home Assistant update comes around and when DirecTV Now comes to it... why they have it for Android and FireTV which is android... but not Android TV I have no idea... side loading doesn't work.

Last edited:
Finally Amazon OFFICIALLY comes to the Shield, been missing that for quite a while!

I love mine! Can't wait to get the update onto it! Amazon was the last reason I kept a Roku on the same TV. I also have a full gaming PC attached, but I don't like playing media from that when I can help it. The Shield has a much better interface for accessing that type of thing.

been using a amzon sony app side loaded for a while and its a bit flaky. the new update is more than wellcome.

on another note ive also won the new shield which is exactly the same as the old shield i think

been using a amzon sony app side loaded for a while and its a bit flaky. the new update is more than wellcome.

on another note ive also won the new shield which is exactly the same as the old shield i think

I think it's mostly the same. I think the CPU/GPU/etc. are all the same. However, if I remember correctly, it may have some updated hardware for video/decoding/etc. So as far as playing games goes, it would be the same. It's a nice piece of hardware.

I too used an HTPC for ages, but after the death of WMC, I decided to change things up a bit. The Shield is the best product I've ever purchased for a TV. I loved my HTPC because I could play games, Blu-Rays, etc, but the disadvantage of it was issues with DRM and HDCP handshaking with my AV Receiver in the mix, and the lack of a remote for services like Netflix and Amazon. Plus, as other posters have stated, power draw. Now, I have a Shield which I use for live/recorded TV, Netflix, Vudu, Google Play movies, Youtube, Twitch, and now Amazon. The Shield is fast, supported by NVIDIA with frequent updates, and has by far the fastest and most pleasant to use 10 foot UI I've ever had the pleasure of using.

The biggest advantage for me though was the live TV via Kodi. I currently have a MSI Cubi pc sitting on a shelf headless running Windows 7 and NextPVR and an HDHomerun Dual and antenna. NextPVR handles guide data, recording, and timeshifting of live tv, and has built in Kodi TV server capabilities. I use the NextPVR addon for Kodi to access my TV stuff. So, I have a whole home DVR without having to pay a dime to Charter. Android TV is the only platform that has Kodi available in its store, so in the bedroom we have a FireTV that I have to sideload Kodi onto in order for us to watch TV.

So Megalith, in short, the Shield TV can easily become the only device you need connected to your TV unless you need Blu-Ray playback from the disk.

I always had HTPC in living room because nothing else could match it. But computers are expensive so In bed rooms every year would get some new shitty streaming device, and they all are hugely lacking and UIs are absolute shit, LOL. Always end up being disappointed. Got a Shield TV when it came out and the search is over, lol. I even bought a 2nd one and retired the HTPC. On top of it kinda doing all the things I want, the UI being so fast really makes it great.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I upgraded yesterday and the thing I was really looking forward to was the Amazon Video app. I tried it but it's not playing 4K content... I'm going to do more investigating.

I love nVidia devices. I have the old shield tablet and the "older" Shield TV but they have been consistently providing updates for their devices, even old ones. Thank you nVidia.

Updated myself last night and loving it. Haven't had a single issue with the Shield. Really think it is the best android box out there.

Not to mention the game streaming (local network from PC) works really well. Granted the control methods vary depending on your HT setup, but the Shield gamepad is among the better pads I've used. The shield also works great with every USB controller I've tried, from classic NES to Logitech etc. I've only used it on a 1Gb wired connection, so not sure about WiFi but on wired it's nearly perfect.

Updated myself last night and loving it. Haven't had a single issue with the Shield. Really think it is the best android box out there.

It is the best Android TV currently. Runner up us Xiaomi MI Box which is still stuck on Marshmallow and can't run the latest Amazon plugin that was made for the Shield.

I too used an HTPC for ages, but after the death of WMC, I decided to change things up a bit. The Shield is the best product I've ever purchased for a TV. I loved my HTPC because I could play games, Blu-Rays, etc, but the disadvantage of it was issues with DRM and HDCP handshaking with my AV Receiver in the mix, and the lack of a remote for services like Netflix and Amazon. Plus, as other posters have stated, power draw. Now, I have a Shield which I use for live/recorded TV, Netflix, Vudu, Google Play movies, Youtube, Twitch, and now Amazon. The Shield is fast, supported by NVIDIA with frequent updates, and has by far the fastest and most pleasant to use 10 foot UI I've ever had the pleasure of using.

The biggest advantage for me though was the live TV via Kodi. I currently have a MSI Cubi pc sitting on a shelf headless running Windows 7 and NextPVR and an HDHomerun Dual and antenna. NextPVR handles guide data, recording, and timeshifting of live tv, and has built in Kodi TV server capabilities. I use the NextPVR addon for Kodi to access my TV stuff. So, I have a whole home DVR without having to pay a dime to Charter. Android TV is the only platform that has Kodi available in its store, so in the bedroom we have a FireTV that I have to sideload Kodi onto in order for us to watch TV.

So Megalith, in short, the Shield TV can easily become the only device you need connected to your TV unless you need Blu-Ray playback from the disk.
For my HTPC remote I use a Steam controller which does more then any remote I had before because it can interface with anything from a click standpoint combined with a Logitech wireless keyboard which also has a trackpad. Steam controller for games on the HDTV is rather good as well. I use it for streaming Netflicks, Blu-Rays and car racing games (like the big screen for that). Video quality is better then the smart TV netflicks/youtube etc. I just find it way more versatile and more powerful having a HTPC then a streaming device which all the old ones became obsolete. The HPTC was basically free or very low cost since it is built from old parts I already have or bought. It has a 290, when I upgrade the Nano in future it will automatically get upgraded etc. (mobo's, cpu's, ram) Recycling at its best baby :)

Been into HTPC's for a while. Thinking of dumping them for the Shield as reading good things about it. But the Shield no longer has built in IR receiver. How would I control it with a Harmony Hub? I prefer to have one remote that does it all (TV, Cable, Kodi, AVR) so I'll need to continue using my harmony.
thanks

Been into HTPC's for a while. Thinking of dumping them for the Shield as reading good things about it. But the Shield no longer has built in IR receiver. How would I control it with a Harmony Hub? I prefer to have one remote that does it all (TV, Cable, Kodi, AVR) so I'll need to continue using my harmony.
thanks
Harmony Hub pairs with the Shield over bluetooth. I have a harmony hub, harmony touch remote and harmony smart keyboard, and they all work fine with the Shield, even the trackpad on the keyboard. Though, to be honest, I hardly even use my harmony remote anymore, because the Shield turns on my receiver and TV through CEC, and controls volume, and the Shield remote is slick, it works really really well.

The Shield TV is easily one of the best buys I've ever made. Nvidia supports it like mad, pushing updates to the thing out every couple months and now that doesn't look like it's going to stop for a long while. I really, really want Nvidia to take a swing at a Shield phone.
They should also reinforce it with Kevlar body armor so it can actually be used as a shield

They should also reinforce it with Kevlar body armor so it can actually be used as a shield
It's tiny. I mean, it's really tiny. It's about the same size as 2 stacked CD cases. You could put it down the front of your pants to shield your junk, I suppose.

It is the best Android TV currently. Runner up us Xiaomi MI Box which is still stuck on Marshmallow and can't run the latest Amazon plugin that was made for the Shield.

What makes it the best Android TV? I see some people claim the Roku 4 is the best and others claim Sheild TV is the best but they never say why. Do you just work for Nvidia or something?

Nvidia Shield TV also has some native (as in they run on the box, not through game streaming) PS3/Xbox 360 era games like Resident Evil 5. Austin Evans talks about that a little in his most recent view.

What makes it the best Android TV? I see some people claim the Roku 4 is the best and others claim Sheild TV is the best but they never say why. Do you just work for Nvidia or something?

Depends what you use it for. If you don't care how sluggish the interface is and you can live with what streaming options Roku provides and you don't plan or want to do anything else with it, then the Roku 4 is a fine choice (and cheaper to boot). But if you want to do other things with your video streaming box (like streaming games from a PC or cloud service) or you want to stream video/music from a home server or attached external drive with a wide variety of file types on it or play Android games (some built specifically for the Shield), then the Shield TV is easily the best streaming box you can get right now. It does everything the Roku does and more and does it much quicker. And Nvidia updates it like crazy, which is always nice.

Back