NVIDIA reportedly wants to cut TSMC orders for next-gen RTX 40 GPUs 5nm wafers amid lower demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
nVidia's real competition is their own older products, has been this way for some time.

But I don't see a ton of 3xxx series cards for sale coming up. Some maybe, the miner cards. But we really don't know exactly how many that is, or how much the market will grow and chew up that pile of used cards. Looking at Ebay, I can see 3090's for just over $700, but for ebay, that is where the price should be. Some of those will be scams so watch out. And all this news to me indicates is that the 4xxx cards will be more reasonably priced. I haven't seen any benchmarks yet, but thinking $999 for the 4080ti. This should be an achievable price, surely by now they have figured out how the supply chain issues we had in 2020.

I’m hearing TSMC isn’t seeing any cancellations for their smallest node (3-6nm) stuff since if you cancel those you pay a penalty and go to the back of the line. But they’re seeing a lot of cancellations for lower end chips.

Wants to and can are two very different things. I do believe they will put out fewer mid and low end 4000 series silicon. But they will simply allocate that Fab time at TSMC to their enterprise product stack. Lots of demand there and long ass wait times too.

Finally back on topic. Really strange period for Nvidia. What is the use case for the 4090Ti? Gaming it sounds so overkill and pointless. DLSS makes the need from a gaming standpoint almost pointless. 4090Ti for professional stuff can make sense but very limited for sells. Hell even the 4080 appears to be overkill for gaming but makes more sense.
It's only overkill because most gamers are stuck are GTX 1060 level of graphics performance and the PS5 and Xbox Series X are basically mid to high end range PCs from 5 years ago. People aren't going to make demanding games for that one guy who bought a 3090Ti and wished to run a game exclusive to his PC. This is why it effects all gamers that graphic card standards are so low. You want GTX 1060 owners to get RTX 3070's because developers will make games with more demanding graphics.
Then Nvidia will be competing against AMD, who can make their cards cheaper and they may well perform better at a lower power.
I feel that AMD and Nvidia have entered into some sort of agreement. If AMD was smart they'd flood the market with cheap GPU's. I don't see AMD flooding the market with cheap GPU's.
I can see why Nvidia wants to cut the order down, can be a darn right blood bath for them.
There's another reason why they want to cut down orders. The amount of over supply Nvidia has right now must be insane. This is what happened back in 2017 when the crypto market crashed. I hope Nvidia doesn't just destroy these chips to prevent a drop in value of their GPU's. That's what these companies tend to do in situations like this.

NVidia's quarterly Gross Profit used to be around $2B per quarter. Starting in 2020, it started increasing, and quarterly profit now stands at $5.4B.
They're sitting on quantities of cards but don't want to lower prices?
Cry me a river, Nvidia.
100%

They can go to hell. Cards available for MSRP? Who cares, it's 2 year old tech at this point. I'll buy a "new" 3000 series at 50% off MSRP, otherwise go jump in a river. I'm not going to pay MSRP for old tech, end of story.

You (nVidia) abandoned us gamers for miners, so why don't you just go sell those extra cards to them? You decided that a hot new mining customer was better than your reliable 20+ year ones, so now you get to reap what you sow, greedy pigs.

100%

They can go to hell. Cards available for MSRP? Who cares, it's 2 year old tech at this point. I'll buy a "new" 3000 series at 50% off MSRP, otherwise go jump in a river. I'm not going to pay MSRP for old tech, end of story.

You (nVidia) abandoned us gamers for miners, so why don't you just go sell those extra cards to them? You decided that a hot new mining customer was better than your reliable 20+ year ones, so now you get to reap what you sow, greedy pigs.
They also jacked their pricing on their Grid software, had to renew it and my ESXi licensing today.... My insides hurt signing that paperwork, the numbers were not small.

100%

LOL. No company abandoned you, they aren't your friends. Oh, and please tell me how Ampere is old tech when it's still the newest and its successor won't be readily available for several months. It's also 1.5 years old, not 2.

I too run 4k 120hz with a 3090, and there are quite a few games that are still GPU limited with DLSS or FSR.
Please name those if you would. From my view, any GPU has limits but are those limits making a difference for the gaming experience?

In my case the 3960x is limiting the gaming experience on the lows on my 3090. Add in display limitations, the 3090 is not the limiting factor. Plus turning down a few setting that you don't even notice can have a huge impact on performance w/o any significant noticeable iq loss during game play.

At least for me, a new monitor is the next upgrade for one of my rigs.

Please name those if you would. From my view, any GPU has limits but are those limits making a difference for the gaming experience?

In my case the 3960x is limiting the gaming experience on the lows on my 3090. Add in display limitations, the 3090 is not the limiting factor. Plus turning down a few setting that you don't even notice can have a huge impact on performance w/o any significant noticeable iq loss during game play.

At least for me, a new monitor is the next upgrade for one of my rigs.
Plenty on this list here for example, take your pick. Let's not pretend that the 3090 can run any and all games at 4k at 120fps; just because the games you play don't, doesn't mean that others play the same games.

Plenty on this list here for example, take your pick. Let's not pretend that the 3090 can run any and all games at 4k at 120fps; just because the games you play don't, doesn't mean that others play the same games.
Yawn. Most people who game will turn down settings that are visibly different from max in 300% zoomed screenshots. These settings can often eke out tons of extra performance for no visual quality loss in motion. This is no state secret and has been widely known since gaming on PC existed.

100%

Typically prices don't really drop on GPUs. But yeah, I'd think and expect some deals below MSRP this late in the cycle. Not 50% off, but what is typical.

I think most people are on the same page. Why pay $700-1000 on a GPU that will be dated in a few months? Nvidia is going to need to cut prices down a bit to get products moving.

Yes, a price drop is inevitable to clear the existing stock. Personally I would be looking for something with the GP100 chip, like the Titan Xp, mostly for folding duty. Failing that, a 2080S would be an option as well.

Yawn. Most people who game will turn down settings that are visibly different from max in 300% zoomed screenshots. These settings can often eke out tons of extra performance for no visual quality loss in motion. This is no state secret and has been widely known since gaming on PC existed.

Yes, but not having to do that is so much easier.

"who needs a supercar when they have to drive the speed limit"

"who needs a mansion for a family of 3?"

"who needs a 60ft yacht for fishing?"

"who needs Versace if most can't tell the difference from K-Mart?"

You're in a PC enthusiast forum. shame on you.

Yes, but not having to do that is so much easier.

"who needs a supercar when they have to drive the speed limit"

"who needs a mansion for a family of 3?"

"who needs a 60ft yacht for fishing?"

"who needs Versace if most can't tell the difference from K-Mart?"

You're in a PC enthusiast forum. shame on you.

Depends what you value, graphic settings or frame rates. Some people want as much frame rates as possible. Getting both is often not possible. And like he said, a lot of settings these days don't give much real world image quality increases. It used to be minimum to maximum settings were almost like looking at two different games. That isn't as much the case with modern games.

Some things like turning shadows or ambient occlusion from ultra to high makes almost no difference in image quality, but often result in 3-5 frame rate increases. Depends on the game of course.

Not sure about that. I know quite a few people that want to play games with max settings and get the max performance. Thats why you would buy halo products to achieve that.

Sure you can turn down settings, but you don't buy the best of the best to lower settings.

Just a few games that I play and I know are GPU bound at 4k. Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2, RDR2....All still using DLSS too (never go past quality using DLSS).

Not sure your point, what makes 120fps so magical? How much is one really loosing out on the game experience? In addition DLSS and FSR was not used even though some of those games had it. Not to mention settings hitting big on performance with little to no difference in IQ.

Of course people can choose what they want, I just don't see much benefit going over monitor refresh rate while some do for lag reasons. I have a number of games I want to play now, or over that the 3090 would laugh at 4k and beyond.

The use case I would say for many for the 4090 will be weak. Still for some it may prove worth it. When I see a real reason or benefit for that amount of performance, rest of system support, Display etc. Then in my case I would be interested.

Not sure your point, what makes 120fps so magical? How much is one really loosing out on the game experience? In addition DLSS and FSR was not used even though some of those games had it. Not to mention settings hitting big on performance with little to no difference in IQ.

Of course people can choose what they want, I just don't see much benefit going over monitor refresh rate while some do for lag reasons. I have a number of games I want to play now, or over that the 3090 would laugh at 4k and beyond.

The use case I would say for many for the 4090 will be weak. Still for some it may prove worth it. When I see a real reason or benefit for that amount of performance, rest of system support, Display etc. Then in my case I would be interested.
Wait... You think 120fps is going over the monitor refresh rate?

The wallet warriors have invaded. ;) lol I joke... noticed the idea in more and more game communities as well the last few years.

Breaking out the credit card every 6 months does not make you any more [H] then the kid running up grandmas card with $1,000 in lockbox P2W items every week.

When I discovered [H] Years ago... being [H] meant taking Celerons, and other budget chips and upping the voltage, creating the craziest cooling solution you could imagine.... breaking out the dermal to cut blow holes in your cheap find full tower case. Making a couple grand of parts cry and perform like they didn't come out of the value section. Buying the latest greatest pre build AIO... or the latest and greatest GPU that cost 20% more cause it has a 40 pound cooling solution strapped to it sort of makes you un [H]. imo anyway I don't mean to speak for anyone else. lol

Times are a little different with current technology. We are not trying to get our 300MHz Celerons to run at 450MHz and get our framerates from 15fps up to 20fps no longer. You can throw together a modern potato rig and get 60fps out of the box..
The kids today won't understand those days though lol..

Times are a little different with current technology. We are not trying to get our 300MHz Celerons to run at 450MHz and get our framerates from 15fps up to 20fps no longer. You can throw together a modern potato rig and get 60fps out of the box..
The kids today won't understand those days though lol..
No doubt... I would like to think [H] type users where a part of the reason companies rounded out their mid range offerings. I'm sure it had more to do with businesses starting to use low end parts where they could... often cause the [H] types where in the IT and purchasing depts. lol

Your right anyone too young (or too new to the hobby) won't remember a time before a real mid range existed. If you are newer and don't remember those days just imagine if today AMD sold 5600 and 5600G processors... and 5950x and nothing in the middle. On the Intel side just imagine nothing i5 being offered. That is why we took the cheepies and beet them up... processors where mostly a choice of cheap $400 cel, a $900 pentium with the same clock... or the top of the line option for $2k. lol

Typically prices don't really drop on GPUs. But yeah, I'd think and expect some deals below MSRP this late in the cycle. Not 50% off, but what is typical.

I think most people are on the same page. Why pay $700-1000 on a GPU that will be dated in a few months? Nvidia is going to need to cut prices down a bit to get products moving.
This isn't a typical market though. Hordes of used cards are available now. Way more than in the past. The value depreciation of a card (new or used) this cycle is greater than in the past. If they don't want to go 50% off MSRP, that's fine, I'll keep my money and they can keep their card. No skin off my back - they need to sell their card more than I need to buy it.

Which is exactly what they want to achieve.
Any company wants to sell as much product as they can for a good profit. That isn't news.

But what they do not want is to manufacture a bunch of product and have it sit in a warehouse unsold. This is a huge drain on profits, and if the market is flooded, just makes it worse. Manufacturing what the market can bear is the logical thing to do.

It's not rocket science people.

This isn't a typical market though. Hordes of used cards are available now. Way more than in the past. The value depreciation of a card (new or used) this cycle is greater than in the past. If they don't want to go 50% off MSRP, that's fine, I'll keep my money and they can keep their card. No skin off my back - they need to sell their card more than I need to buy it.
Exactly, and the market is looking really bad for them. The situation for Nvidia is far worse than anyone could think of. Firstly they have a shit ton of RTX 3000 chips or cards laying around that they can't sell. Secondly, they're about to release the RTX 4000 series this year. Thirdly, Nvidia tried to get out of their TSMC 5nm deal because they don't want to flood the market. This continues to get worse as you have the used card market which is going to play a huge role in this. AMD still exists, I think. Intel is about to enter the GPU market as well, as they are supposedly going to release them in fall this year. Add the economic situation in the world and you can easily see how MSRP doesn't matter and 50% off MSRP is probably their best case scenario. Patience is a virtue, so just wait and let them sit on their inventory. I care not what they think their products are worth. You got people like JayzTwoCents telling people to buy now, like right now, and he's telling people not to buy used cards. That's pretty scummy since all he's doing is trying to encourage people to buy them now which will maintain their prices. Wait, let them fall to the ground and then pick them up for a fraction of the price. If you're afraid to buy used cards then go by what Buildzoid says since he's got experience with which cards tend to fail. I didn't know that Radeon 7 cards had such a high failure rate.

But what they do not want is to manufacture a bunch of product and have it sit in a warehouse unsold. This is a huge drain on profits, and if the market is flooded, just makes it worse. Manufacturing what the market can bear is the logical thing to do.
The reality is they can sell all their cards, for the right price. The problem is nobody wants prices to drop as this is the fear corporations have as customers will wait for the drop. They want to condition you to accept that a RTX 3060 is really worth $500 and not the $250 price tag that it deserves. That RTX 3080 is not worth $800 but more like $500 at best. You can easily buy a used RTX 3080 for $650, and those prices are still dropping. The miners are gone and the GTX 1060 owners are still waiting for a true upgrade from their $250 2016 graphics card.

Exactly, and the market is looking really bad for them. The situation for Nvidia is far worse than anyone could think of. Firstly they have a shit ton of RTX 3000 chips or cards laying around that they can't sell.
I am not sure Nvidia have that much stock of unsold FE edition cards around or chips (which I imagine would often be sold before being made), isn't the AIB that are in big trouble ? (which if Nvidia want to keep good relationship mean that Nvidia are indirectly partly in trouble has well and they can change the release schedule of lower model to keep them happy, but it is not their stock/money in play)

I am not sure Nvidia have that much stock of unsold FE edition cards around or chips (which I imagine would often be sold before being made),
The rumor is they have a lot of RTX 3000 series cards or chips. I don't know about FE edition stuff.
isn't the AIB that are in big trouble ?
Define trouble? That they'll have to sell the cards for much less profit? Sucks to be them. I'm sure they were concerned about how much we overpaid for their cards.
(which if Nvidia want to keep good relationship mean that Nvidia are indirectly partly in trouble has well and they can change the release schedule of lower model to keep them happy, but it is not their stock/money in play)
Nvidia doesn't have to make AIB's happy at all. Nvidia has made it clear that they can make their own cards without AIBs. The FE cards are just Nvidia flexing that they could leave all the AIB's. Wasn't it Nvidia that released their cards first before AIB partners? You can also see with Nvidia's RTX 3000 cards that cooling is done much better than previous generations. Nvidia could pull a 3DfX and just make their own cards without AIB's and dominate the market. I wouldn't blame Nvidia for doing this as AIB's are just unnecessary middle men. What are AIB's gonna do? Make AMD or Intel cards? Nvidia dominates so hard that AIB's happiness doesn't matter.

The rumor is they have a lot of RTX 3000 series cards or chips. I don't know about FE edition stuff.

Define trouble? That they'll have to sell the cards for much less profit? Sucks to be them. I'm sure they were concerned about how much we overpaid for their cards.

Nvidia doesn't have to make AIB's happy at all. Nvidia has made it clear that they can make their own cards without AIBs. The FE cards are just Nvidia flexing that they could leave all the AIB's. Wasn't it Nvidia that released their cards first before AIB partners? You can also see with Nvidia's RTX 3000 cards that cooling is done much better than previous generations. Nvidia could pull a 3DfX and just make their own cards without AIB's and dominate the market. I wouldn't blame Nvidia for doing this as AIB's are just unnecessary middle men. What are AIB's gonna do? Make AMD or Intel cards? Nvidia dominates so hard that AIB's happiness doesn't matter.

That is what 3dfx thought as well and they ended up being a footnote in history. AIB's are important as they spend lots of money marketing the product, thus why you have demand for overclocked cards and the crazy names they come up for them. Simple fact is AMD and Nvidia have to keep there AIB's reasonably happy or they could find themselves between a rock and a hard place. I mean lot's of people on this board want a EVGA card and if Nvidia is no longer available from them and they started making AMD cards then you might cause a market shift, that could seriously hurt Nvidia.

Also had AMD had the extra manufacturing capacity this current gpu generation then their marketshare would of went up considerably due to the lack of availability of Nvidia cards.

That is what 3dfx thought as well and they ended up being a footnote in history.
3Dfx failed because their GPU's used a 256x256 texture size while the Nvidia TNT's had 2kx2k texture sizes. Also, by the time they released a GPU with 2kx2k texture sizes, Nvidia had long released the famous Geforce graphic cards with T&L acceleration and was fully DX7. By the time they released the Voodoo 4 or 5 the Geforce 2 and ATI Radeon cards were out and far more faster. Has nothing to do with AIB cards. PowerVR cards existed too and were decently fast, but lacked the features and performance of the Geforce and Radeon cards.
AIB's are important as they spend lots of money marketing the product, thus why you have demand for overclocked cards and the crazy names they come up for them.
If I remember correctly Nvidia wanted AIB's to use their advertising and unique branding they give their GPU's to be Nvidia only, and that was a big issue. I don't think Nvidia enjoys having their name overshadowed by AIB's branding.
Simple fact is AMD and Nvidia have to keep there AIB's reasonably happy or they could find themselves between a rock and a hard place.
Like what? Most consumers would buy Founders Edition cards and be more than happy.
I mean lot's of people on this board want a EVGA card and if Nvidia is no longer available from them and they started making AMD cards then you might cause a market shift, that could seriously hurt Nvidia.
Maybe but Nvidia also has the potential to pocket all the profits. They could also pass the savings to consumers but that's not Nvidia.

Side note, Intel is about to release their GPU's. So yea, don't buy anything yet.

Never heard of that one, I heard a rumors of large stock of cards/chips being own by people, not by Nvidia themselve.
That they stock of cards, chips and contracted future buy of chips that do not match the forseen future, i.e. the trouble you described to be to Nvidia from what I heard (and think logically) is pretty much all on them, they are the one with a stock of cards and chips
Nvidia doesn't have to make AIB's happy at all.
They have to not make them angry enough/fail enough that they get out of the game or at least it is clearly in intenrest of people to not push things too far with their partner, even giant that can bully them around quite a bit.

Like what? Most consumers would buy Founders Edition cards and be more than happy. Maybe but Nvidia also has the potential to pocket all the profits. They could also pass the savings to consumers but that's not Nvidia.

You talk has if Nvidia was forced to deal with AIBs.... a good example of like what are current situation, they would be the one with a stock on their hands right now would they make cards, there tend to be a balancing of lower risk/lower reward that people do.

3Dfx failed because their GPU's used a 256x256 texture size while the Nvidia TNT's had 2kx2k texture sizes. Also, by the time they released a GPU with 2kx2k texture sizes, Nvidia had long released the famous Geforce graphic cards with T&L acceleration and was fully DX7. By the time they released the Voodoo 4 or 5 the Geforce 2 and ATI Radeon cards were out and far more faster. Has nothing to do with AIB cards. PowerVR cards existed too and were decently fast, but lacked the features and performance of the Geforce and Radeon cards.

If I remember correctly Nvidia wanted AIB's to use their advertising and unique branding they give their GPU's to be Nvidia only, and that was a big issue. I don't think Nvidia enjoys having their name overshadowed by AIB's branding.

Like what? Most consumers would buy Founders Edition cards and be more than happy.

Maybe but Nvidia also has the potential to pocket all the profits. They could also pass the savings to consumers but that's not Nvidia.

Side note, Intel is about to release their GPU's. So yea, don't buy anything yet.

Hope you are not serious about the Intel release. This is already out in specific markets and its a turd.

Neither Nvidia nor AMD make their own cards. They do not own fabs or assembly lines. They contract with a manufacturer to get their FE and "Made by AMD" cards.

I don't know about keeping anybody "happy", but they each need to maintain business relationships to sell their chips.

Never heard of that one, I heard a rumors of large stock of cards/chips being own by people, not by Nvidia themselve.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-4000-gpu-launch-delay-geforce-3000-oversupply
They have to not make them angry enough/fail enough that they get out of the game or at least it is clearly in intenrest of people to not push things too far with their partner, even giant that can bully them around quite a bit.
Nvidia has like what, 90% of the GPU market? Who would lose if Nvidia pissed off AIB's?
You talk has if Nvidia was forced to deal with AIBs.... a good example of like what are current situation, they would be the one with a stock on their hands right now would they make cards, there tend to be a balancing of lower risk/lower reward that people do.
I'm not saying Nvidia is going to dump AIB's right now, but that Nvidia could and that means that AIB's being happy isn't their priority.
Hope you are not serious about the Intel release. This is already out in specific markets and its a turd.
The thing is worse than RX 580's and GTX 1060's. Considering you can pick those up cheaper, it's a stupid card for sure. That doesn't matter since even if these cards performed the same as a GTX 1060 they still wouldn't buy it. What matters is what their mid range GPU's will perform and what price. Nvidia just released their GTX 1630, which is equally as bad and stupid. The only difference here is that the GTX 1630 would be great as low profile cards for certain Dells and HP desktop machines.

Yes exactly:
The Nvidia RTX 4000 release date could be pushed back even further due to the oversupply of RTX 3000 graphics cards currently flooding the used market, in addition to those yet to be shifted by board partners and retailers

No mention about Nvidia having a stock of unsold cards on their hands

Nvidia has like what, 90% of the GPU market? Who would lose if Nvidia pissed off AIB's?
They piss them off all the time like every company in position to do so I am sure, but there is a limit to not cross, for example if they piss them off all AIB that do only Nvidia cards and do not do AMD cards could start to make AMD cards has well and that include one of the best card maker EVGA, has long has more AIB make Nvidia cards than AMD cards a statue quo and a world in which AIB make cards is not a bad one for them.

I'm not saying Nvidia is going to dump AIB's right now, but that Nvidia could and that means that AIB's being happy isn't their priority.
DO not shift happy by not extremely piss, if you think that AIB relationship will not even be a talking point in the decision to push back the release, I think that pushing it.

Any company wants to sell as much product as they can for a good profit. That isn't news.

It's not rocket science people.
Oh, the market will be bear, you can be assured of that.

Yes exactly:
The Nvidia RTX 4000 release date could be pushed back even further due to the oversupply of RTX 3000 graphics cards currently flooding the used market, in addition to those yet to be shifted by board partners and retailers

No mention about Nvidia having a stock of unsold cards on their hands

"For now, retailers’ more immediate concerns appear to be the stockpiles of RTX 3000 cards that they are growing “desperate to move”, as worries mount that they won’t be able to sell the graphics cards for a profit."

The sad truth is that retailers want to wait for the used cards to sell before their inventory is released. If they're going to not make a profit then someone somewhere needs to lose a yacht.
They piss them off all the time like every company in position to do so I am sure, but there is a limit to not cross, for example if they piss them off all AIB that do only Nvidia cards and do not do AMD cards could start to make AMD cards has well and that include one of the best card maker EVGA, has long has more AIB make Nvidia cards than AMD cards a statue quo and a world in which AIB make cards is not a bad one for them.
If all it takes for AMD to grow in market share is to get Nvidia only AIB's to sell their cards then AMD would have had 50% market share long ago. Fact is too many people buy Nvidia and Nvidia only. That works against AIB partners.
DO not shift happy by not extremely piss, if you think that AIB relationship will not even be a talking point in the decision to push back the release, I think that pushing it.
AIB relationships don't matter. As long as it doesn't ruin Nvidia's image and ability to sell, then it really doesn't matter. Like I said, Nvidia could sell Founders Edition RTX 4090's all day long and still sell out because their mind share is that big. What that means is that Nvidia could let AIB lose money or eat the cost and still be begging for more, cause the reality is Nvidia can make chips and sell cards while AIB's can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back