NVIDIA Releasing Three GTX 800 Graphics Cards In October?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to rumblings from the rumor mill, NVIDIA will be launching three new video cards in October. We figured you guys would have fun discussing this even though NVIDIA hasn't commented on the rumor yet. :cool:

Nvidia plans to introduce high-end GeForce GTX 870 and GeForce GTX 880 graphics cards based on the GM204 graphics processor in early October. In late October the company intends to release GeForce GTX 860 graphics adapter aiming mid-range market segment. It is likely that the solution will also be based on the GM204 graphics processing unit.

can someone explain the ARM feature and why it's supposedly such a game-changer...is 28nm with ARM a big enough deal on its own or is it better to wait for 20nm?

It's better to wait for AMD on 20nm.

One, price. This card will no doubt be horribly over-priced. 2nd, the performance at best will be 5 or 10 frames faster than the 290x would be my guess if that.

bvbz: I'm going to treat myself to a sweet new build for all my late hard work, time to start researching parts!

Nvidia: New cards in October!

Things I don't have: patience... :(

but how are the rumors turning out that there also going to be "cheaper"....................:confused:

One, price. This card will no doubt be horribly over-priced. 2nd, the performance at best will be 5 or 10 frames faster than the 290x would be my guess if that.

I was under the impression Nvidia said that the 880's would be cheaper than 780 Ti's despite the increase in power?

i would if AMD would offer decent cooling (definitely needed) and driver support (maybe this has changed, I don't know.)

I think I might go 870 this round. I guess we'll see what they have to offer. I'm running INTEGRATED graphics while I wait so I'm excited for any news at all.

i would if AMD would offer decent cooling (definitely needed) and driver support (maybe this has changed, I don't know.)

the driver thing is/was way overblown simply because they're more nvidia fan boys seeing that amd can actually compete if not better them

the driver thing is/was way overblown simply because they're more nvidia fan boys seeing that amd can actually compete if not better them

the crossfire setup i had back in 2010 was one of the worst product experiences i've ever had. it was never overblown, it's simply less terrible now.

I was under the impression Nvidia said that the 880's would be cheaper than 780 Ti's despite the increase in power?

Msrp maybe, but we've been stuck on this performance level for so long I assume the price gouging time period with this release will be a bit longer than usual. Although it won't compare to bitcoin mining madness with R9 290s...

NVIDIA hasn't said anything yet about anything.

It's all a big internet echo chamber at this point and everyone's voice seems to rebound these days.

I'm really hoping this comes together soon. I'm going to be in the market early-October for a new GPU, and it would be nice to be able to jump on board with the current generation.

NVidia as always will hold back on fully unlocked GPU till the end. Just like when they released GeForce 680 and now fully unlocked GeForce 780 TI.

The GM204 graphics processing unit will no doubt carry over to 20nm in 2015.

Personally, even if I were Team Green, I can wait 10 - 12 - 16 months for Nvidia 20nm

but how are the rumors turning out that there also going to be "cheaper"....................:confused:

Because Nvidia has perfected the 28nm node that they can add more cores, up the memory, raise the clocks (Maxwell architecture), be the biggest die Nvidia produced, cost less, use much less power, and be 20-30% faster.

The logic is so much it makes a Used Car and Snake Oil Salesmen hold each other and weep.

If the GTX870 is $400 or Less at launch sign me up for two! If it's more, I'll just wait for AMD.

Whatever it is, it lines up with my upgrade cycle quite well. Unless its completely underwhelming, I'll be getting an 880. But I'll definitely be waiting for reliable post-release reviews before doing anything. Have a 4GB GTX 680 atm.

Most of the new stuff is over priced and over hyped. I'll wait till they come out and several sites do some reviews.

I have my arm and leg ready so I can get one. What nVidia says about lower prices and what actually comes out are 2 different paths. As long as it run cooler I'm all for it.

I love lamp. I love LAMP!

Hey, I'll buy you a virtual beer if you create another new 800-series thread tomorrow.. I'm pretty sure we need moar!

(and you can even pick whichever mundane or outlandish rumor you prefer) ;)

GTX680 was "fully unlocked."

Yeah and Kepler K20X wasn't available at the time the GTX 680 launched. On the other hand, nvidia is holding back release of GM200/Titan II even though the chip taped out at the same time as the 880 series...just because they can wait for AMD's response and steal their thunder.

Yea there won't be an AMD 20nm any time soon, next amd gpu will be same 28nm that is out now cause 20nm isn't ready.

With that said what AMD has is almost unknown. Nvidia we know what they got and what its capable of. Look at 750ti, powerful gpu uses half to almost a third the power of the 2 AMD cards it competes against.

Last edited:
Hey, I'll buy you a virtual beer if you create another new 800-series thread tomorrow.. I'm pretty sure we need moar!

(and you can even pick whichever mundane or outlandish rumor you prefer) ;)

lol part of me is crying inside. I just can't wait until I never hear the word "Maxwell" again.

lol part of me is crying inside. I just can't wait until I never hear the word "Maxwell" again.

Yo dawg, I just heard Volta is coming back and it's gonna be 16nm FinFET taping out in early Q2'15, right after the really real 20nm 3rd-gen Maxwell 900-series drops! :D

Where did you hear that? :D

It's right in the middle of that NoBS #229 interview, right after the part where they talk about it :p

(You can't really hear anything, but you can definitely see Rev mouthing that exact statement to Tom.. seriously, check it out and let's start a new thread about it asap!)

I suppose static bags are the new wooden screws.
At this point I'll actually be disappointed if the 880 doesn't come wrapped in some kind of magic eye/reflective coating static bag. Endless possibilities.

I suppose static bags are the new wooden screws.
At this point I'll actually be disappointed if the 880 doesn't come wrapped in some kind of magic eye/reflective coating static bag. Endless possibilities.

You will get to check out anti static bag prior to viewing the gpu itself.

Nvidia Geforce GTX Antistatic Bag of 880 review! :eek:

Forget Geforce, this is a new BEAST!

YgJf9Qm.png

yeah that was ridiculous, I had 2 5850s which ran worse together than alone. But it appears with the r series they've fixed all the previous issues with X-fire not actually giving worthwhile performance. Pretty sure one of the reviews said that two r9 290xs played "smooth as butter" in 4k

DX12 has been shown to work on kepler series so most likely will be made to

I think that Nvidia's official statement around the DX12 announcement was that Kepler would support some of DX12 and Maxwell also. But they wouldn't support all of the DX12 features because they aren't finalized. I'm sure that someone can dig the exact quote up. All I could find with Google was a Fudzilla article.

Usually people work in percentages. 5 to 10 frames faster on something where the 290x is at 5 frames per a second, a 100-200% increase, would be pretty awesome.

If I try hard not to be a douche and assume you meant 60 fps, +10 frames is 16%. You could be right! I learned about ten years ago it's best to wait at least two generations of cards to actually have a difference you can feel. To your point, you won't notice 5-10.

Back