NVIDIA Releases VRWorks Audio and 360 Video SDKs at GTC

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, May 8, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

NVIDIA is making VR more immersive, and VR development easier, with the release of VR audio and 360-degree video stitching as part of our VRWorks software development kit.

Released at the GPU Technology Conference, kicking off today at the San Jose Convention Center, the VRWorks Audio SDK provides real-time ray tracing of audio in virtual environments, and is supported in Epic’s Unreal Engine 4. The VRWorks 360 Video SDK addresses the complex challenge of real-time video stitching.

VRWorks Audio for Physically Accurate Audio - Traditional VR audio provides an accurate 3D position of the audio source within a virtual environment. However, sound in the real world reflects more than just the location of the source -- it’s also a function of the dimensions and material properties of the physical environment.

NVIDIA VRWorks Audio helps create a truly immersive environment by modeling sound propagation phenomena, such as reflection, refraction and diffraction. And it does so in real time, thanks to the massive processing power of GPUs. Using NVIDIA OptiX ray-tracing technology, VRWorks Audio traces the path of sound in real time, delivering physically accurate audio that reflects the size, shape and material properties of the virtual environment.

See the video here.

Ongoing Discussion

heatlesssun likes this.
  2. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

It's like reading old Creative Soundblaster copy......

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

More like Aureal, whose tech Creative buried. Have to wonder if this stuff won't prompt a lawsuit from them, even if it is generated organically from internal assets...

Deleted member 93354 likes this.
  4. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Gawd

cool stuff. Audio is a good thing to do well in general (kinda wish we'd get more 7.1 audio options though (other than just getting a full system). My creative 7.1, still working, is... old. lol.) and good positional audio and all that in VR will help make it better :)

5. Spire3660

Spire3660 [H]ard|Gawd

The happy ending to the Aureal saga is that all those patents are now expired. 3D audio is mostly patent unencumbered at this point (a ton of patents were made in the 60s and 70s, like 'ambisonic' tech). Hell MP3 jsut lost its patent protection recently and Fraunhofer Institute stopped selling licenses for it.

{NG}Fidel and IdiotInCharge like this.
  6. djoye

djoye 2[H]4U

This stuff sounds fun, but good luck with it being implemented into games unless NVIDIA is going to volunteer to do all of the implementation. We saw how far AMD's audio endeavor got, I'll be impressed if NV's fairs better.

7. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

This should be in normal games. True sound reflection off walls and stuff. Finally sound evolves in games.

8. Whatever happened to AMD's audio processing on their video cards?

I predict the same will happen. It will go nowhere.

9. IdiotInCharge

AMD's solution was hardware, and this is software, so while they are both audio 'solutions' being provided by GPU makers, they're not directly comparable. And given that Nvidia's software solution works with UE4, we might see broader adoption of it, especially if it is GPU agnostic in terms of performance (and it likely is).

djoye likes this.
  10. If it's software it will bog the system down. That was the advantage of putting it in hardware.

Knowing nvidia, they will tap the GPU resources, and software emulate it for AMD to showcase how "Bad" AMD cards are. (Similar to the crap they pulled with PhysX)

Bahanime likes this.
  11. lollerwaffle

lollerwaffle Gawd

I'm just happy Audio is being discussed again. It's such an important part of immersion, VR or not.

mrp, fuzzylogik and ChoGGi like this.
  12. P4B

P4B Limp Gawd

ppl just want to hear footsteps and cars as they hunt there next victim in BG, COD type games. this is all a waste of time.

13. p.i.m.p

p.i.m.p Gawd

this will be awesome with Half-Life 3

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. IdiotInCharge

If...

Knowing...

I'll wait for actual reviews of implementations, thanks.

15. mrp

mrp n00b

Glad to see audio being looked at again, the gaming audio experience has been dead for too long.

Tags: