Nvidia Releases List of Games That Support AI and Real-Time Ray Tracing

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Nvidia has released a list of games that support the real-time ray tracing and Deep Learning Super-Sampling (DLSS) found on their new GeForce RTX lineup of video cards. Real-time ray tracing allows for "objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination." DLSS is a "technology that applies deep learning and AI to rendering techniques, resulting in crisp, smooth edges on rendered objects in games."

Games that will feature real-time ray tracing include the following, with more to come:

Assetto Corsa Competizione, Atomic Heart, Battlefield V, Control, Enlisted, Justice, JX3, Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries, Metro Exodus, ProjectDH, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Games that will use DLSS include the following, with more to come:

Ark: Survival Evolved, Atomic Heart, Dauntless, Final Fantasy XV, Fractured Lands, Hitman 2, Islands of Nyne, Justice, JX3, Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Remnant: From the Ashes, Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, The Forge Arena, and We Happy Few.

Last edited:
I think that the two features are built into the Unreal engine so it’s not really fucking with it, it’s just there.

MW5:Mercs that game is going to destroy any semblance of free time I thought I might have.

I'm more intrigued by the SLI... I was under the impression that the card didn't have fingers and how they reworked SLI.

Yay even more fragmentation! I welcome our new Console era PCs that simply cost 5 times as much for the same lock in.

I’d like to see Doom Eternal on this list.
1. It would be really cool
2. If ID incorporates ray tracing into the engine, then presumably the ray tracing is open to AMD and Intel as well

The difference is, Ray Tracing is here to stay, it's always been the goal of developers to get to that point. It will continue to evolve of course, but this is just the start of something that will transform games, and whether you are red or green, RT has always been the goal to achieve in games.

How that is handled, what methods are used, and the performance to accelerate it, that will continue to evolve. At least there is a standard DirectX path for it now.

I’d like to see Doom Eternal on this list.
1. It would be really cool
2. If ID incorporates ray tracing into the engine, then presumably the ray tracing is open to AMD and Intel as well

Unlikely, since ID insists on using it's own custom engine for everything they do in house.

The difference is, Ray Tracing is here to stay, it's always been the goal of developers to get to that point. It will continue to evolve of course, but this is just the start of something that will transform games, and whether you are red or green, RT has always been the goal to achieve in games.

How that is handled, what methods are used, and the performance to accelerate it, that will continue to evolve. At least there is a standard DirectX path for it now.

It might be here to stay, but I'll bet you that there is little implementation of it for years. The cost of entry to the 2080 line is too high, and last I looked most people still run a 970 equivalent.

This change is going to take time.

Anyone know if "Deep Learning Super Sampling" is anything more than a gimmick?

Reactions: DF-1
like this
It might be here to stay, but I'll bet you that there is little implementation of it for years. The cost of entry to the 2080 line is too high, and last I looked most people still run a 970 equivalent.

This change is going to take time.

I can't predict the future, but like many things in 3D graphics for games over time it will become more accepted, IMO. Especially as it becomes more optimized and hardware comes out that can accelerate it well. The method and performance will evolve. Game adaptation may rise once AMD has hardware that can accelerate it well, which will push it more into mainstream games. These things do take time. It's one of the technologies though that I see sticking around since ray tracing is actually easier on developers, they don't have to create lightmaps for each scene. It will make lighting artists very happy.

I can't predict the future, but like many things in 3D graphics for games over time it will become more accepted, IMO. Especially as it becomes more optimized and hardware comes out that can accelerate it well. The method and performance will evolve. Game adaptation may rise once AMD has hardware that can accelerate it well, which will push it more into mainstream games. These things do take time. It's one of the technologies though that I see sticking around since ray tracing is actually easier on developers, they don't have to create lightmaps for each scene. It will make lighting artists very happy.

I agree 100%, I just think with the obviously low adoption rate this price will command, its going to be a generation or two before there is a broad enough market for Ray-Traced games, until then its always lowest common denominator.

Maybe nVidia can get this into next gen consoles, that would speed things up. I won't hold my breath.

I agree 100%, I just think with the obviously low adoption rate this price will command, its going to be a generation or two before there is a broad enough market for Ray-Traced games, until then its always lowest common denominator.

Maybe nVidia can get this into next gen consoles, that would speed things up. I won't hold my breath.
Feel like it will not be the next gen consoles but probably the gen after that when either team green, red, or blue will implement raytracing in the console level.

Dauntless. I'm surprised. I fully expect Dauntless to be dead now that MH:W is out on PC.

It would be fair to point out that, despite the marketing speak on Nvidia's side, RTX means ray-tracing and/or AI. However, the way Nvidia is presenting this launch is that RTX = Ray-Tracing. Also, just because ray-tracing is "here to stay" doesn't mean that the "RTX" 2080ti is a capable enough piece of kit to handle ray-tracing in practical applications. How many times have we witnessed new graphics goodies take multiple generations to gain any real traction?

There is a reason why Nvidia has opened the flood gates on pre-orders prior to ANY useful 3rd party benchmarks. If they had something killer and they knew it, this launch wouldn't be as hyped or publicized as it is as Nvidia would be better off letting the accolades roll in. This whole marketing song and dance reminds me of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge launch. Samsung's steaming pile was made apparent when compared to the Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6/6s.

Lastly, buying a graphics card without a major console release anywhere in sight seems a bit foolish since most games are primarily designed for said consoles then optimized post-facto for the PC.

Last edited:
Show me the review specs by third parties who aren't NVIDIA shills, or stay home.

Has to start somewhere, and that's usually with expensive, early adopter hardware. Its success isn't defined by how quickly it reaches lowest common denominator, or consoles.

There is a reason why Nvidia has opened the flood gates on pre-orders prior to ANY useful 3rd party benchmarks. If they had something killer and they knew it, this launch wouldn't be as hyped or publicized as it is as Nvidia would be better off letting the accolades roll in.

No the actual reason is because they've always done it this way. They announce the new cards, and then the benchmarks start rolling in from third party review sites soon after. The accolades will roll in any way - the prices are reflective of that. The preorders are so there's something tangible, and they aren't accused of "paper launch!"

Lastly, buying a graphics card without a major console release anywhere in sight seems a bit foolish since most games are primarily designed for said consoles then optimized post-facto for the PC.

Not sure what consoles have to do with anything. Nvidia does not concern itself with the peashooter console boxes. They launch the flagship that will dominate the next two years and re-up their halo effect, and then work backwards to midrange cards.

Maybe? I expect there to be some major growing pains with it and I wonder what the performance hit will be. Deep learning/AI like this is still relatively new so its going to take time to really pan out. It has a lot of potential, but I imagine adoption will be slow as it probably requires the AI to learn how to do things game-by-game which will take time. I'll be really interested in seeing it with something like FFXV though, that game could use some better AA options.

No the actual reason is because they've always done it this way.
That's BS. Nvidia has not done a launch like this, ever. Even Nvidia will attest to that.

Not sure what consoles have to do with anything. Nvidia does not concern itself with the peashooter console boxes. They launch the flagship that will dominate the next two years and re-up their halo effect, and then work backwards to midrange cards.
Since the original Xbox, consoles have been the main, driving factor when it comes to major jumps in graphical detail. If you don't know that by now with 10k posts, then what have you been doing on here?

Since I don't believe in unicorns, I want to see benches and real-world performance with these "small miracles" turned on that are supposed to make eyes uncontrollably orgasm. I can afford 2x Titan Vs and whatever Threadripper I want. But, for what I do, the cost/benefit isn't there. You are welcome to shill and sing Nvidia's praises all you want. Just know that pre-ordering a $1200 new generation card with unknown performance that is pushing un-adopted ray-tracing for personal use seems a bit... questionable.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Does that game even work? They should probably worry about their current systems before trying to implement cutting edge systems.

So, what new game is going to come bundled with the new cards?

It would be fair to point out that, despite the marketing speak on Nvidia's side, RTX means ray-tracing and/or AI. However, the way Nvidia is presenting this launch is that RTX = Ray-Tracing. Also, just because ray-tracing is "here to stay" doesn't mean that the "RTX" 2080ti is a capable enough piece of kit to handle ray-tracing in practical applications. How many times have we witnessed new graphics goodies take multiple generations to gain any real traction?

There is a reason why Nvidia has opened the flood gates on pre-orders prior to ANY useful 3rd party benchmarks. If they had something killer and they knew it, this launch wouldn't be as hyped or publicized as it is as Nvidia would be better off letting the accolades roll in. This whole marketing song and dance reminds me of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge launch. Samsung's steaming pile was made apparent when compared to the Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6/6s.

That last part of what you had to say is beyond ridiculous. Games get more demanding regardless of whether we have new consoles or not.

We won’t know until Brent/Kyle reviews it. Ideally it replaces AA which blurs physical edges to give the appearance of less pixelation. Running higher resolutions is way better looking but more taxing. DLSS is a way to applie “AA” to any edge, offer no blurring and supposedly doesn’t require additional sampling.

Anyways that’s my simple understanding of it.

Seriously - Fuck new technology!
Don't get me wrong, it'll be awesome once it can be used on the following one or two generations of cards without significantly impacting performance. Developers need to get a grasp of it as well. I've played Far Cry Primal and Batman Arkham Knight at a point where they ran rough with the GameWorks features enabled, I came back months or years later to play the games with the same GPU (GTX 1080) and found the performance significantly improved with those same features enabled but after the developers tweaked the usage of the NVIDIA features and NVIDIA probably went through a number of driver updates that improved performance in general.

Unless developers have learned from their past mistakes, it's going to be rough for a while until they learn to utilize these new features in moderation.

Back