NVIDIA Releases GeForce 461.40 Game Ready Drivers

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Includes support for GeForce RTX 30 Series laptops (RTX 3080, RTX 3070, RTX 3060).
  • Provides support for The Medium, a new adventure-horror game that features raytracing and our performance-accelerating NVIDIA DLSS technology.
Fixed Issues in this Release
  • [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: The game may crash on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs. [3220107]
  • [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: HUD in the game is broken. [3169099]
  • [Resident Evil 2 Remake/Devil May Cry V] Games which used the RE2 engine may crash in DirectX 11 mode [200686418]
  • [DaVinci Resolve]: Error 707, application crash, or application instability may occur. [3225521]
  • [Adobe Premiere Pro]: The application may freeze when using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA). [3230997/200686504]
  • [Zoom][NVENC]: Webcam video image colors on the receiving end of Zoom may appear incorrect. [3205912]
  • [Detroit: Become Human]: The game randomly crashes. [3203114]
  • [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (without running any GPU hardware monitoring tool in the background) [3152190]
  • [Assassin's Creed Valhalla]: The game may randomly crash after extended gameplay [200679654]
  • NVIDIA Broadcast Camera filter may hang. [200691869]
  • [Zoom]: Chrome browser flickers with Zoom app. [200695072]
  • [G-SYNC][Surround][RTX 30 series] PC may restart when enabling NVIDIA Surround with GSYNC enabled on RTX 30 series GPUs. [3202303]
Windows 10 Issues
  • [World of Warcraft: Shadowlands]: Random flicker may occur in certain locations in the game [3206341]
  • [Supreme Commander/Supreme Commander 2]: The games experience low FPS. [3231218]
  • Wallpaper Engine app may crash on startup or upon resume from sleep. [3208963]
  • [Batman Arkham Knight]: The game crashes when turbulence smoke is enabled. [3202250]
  • [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game while any GPU hardware monitoring tool is running in the background. [3152190]
  • [G-SYNC][NVIDIA Ampere/Turing GPU architecture]: GPU power consumption may increase in idle mode on systems using certain higher refresh-rate G-SYNC monitors. [200667566]
  • [YouTube]: Video playback stutters while scrolling down the YouTube page. [3129705]
  • [Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]
  • [G-Sync][Vulkan Apps]: Performance drop occurs when using G-SYNC and switching from full-screen mode to windowed mode using the in-game settings. [200681477]
  • To workaround, either launch the game in windowed mode directly or disable G-SYNC."
https://www.techpowerup.com/277730/nvidia-releases-geforce-461-40-game-ready-drivers

Good to see they finally fixed the Detroit: Become Human crashes. The RE2 Engine DX11 problem has also been going on for quite a while.

Well at least Nvidia has finally recognized the flicker issue in Shadowlands that has been present for the past 3 or 4 drivers. Now if they could actually fix it that’d be great.

Nvidia drivers for the past few months have been nothing to be proud of. They need to get back on the ball.

Well at least Nvidia has finally recognized the flicker issue in Shadowlands that has been present for the past 3 or 4 drivers. Now if they could actually fix it that’d be great.

Nvidia drivers for the past few months have been nothing to be proud of. They need to get back on the ball.
I disagree. They were very lax with the fixes in the past year. They have really stepped up in that area for the past few releases. Listing more open issues is also not necessarily a bad thing, as this means they have officially recognized it after being able to reproduce it in their test environment. Being listed also means that they're working on it.

I disagree. They were very lax with the fixes in the past year. They have really stepped up in that area for the past few releases. Listing more open issues is also not necessarily a bad thing, as this means they have officially recognized it after being able to reproduce it in their test environment. Being listed also means that they're working on it.
The WoW Dev team diagnosed the issue and sent it to Nvidia for correction 2 driver revisions ago (over a month ago) and the issue has been persistent for months prior to that. Still not fixed. The VR stutter issue was also just recently fixed after weeks/months of people reporting it.

I also experienced the Ampere crash to desktops issue which took I think 2 weeks to fix and recently the 1080 Ti black screen issue that wasn’t corrected for weeks either. From my personal experience with Nvidia cards they are usually much faster to fix issues than they have been over the past few months.

Known Issues
  • Frustration levels in owners of Turing and Pascal generation products increased by 43%

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
For the last few (three-ish) drivers, I've had to go into NVCP and disable Shader Cache. Certain games like Destiny 2 were unplayable with that setting left to the default of "on."

For the last few (three-ish) drivers, I've had to go into NVCP and disable Shader Cache. Certain games like Destiny 2 were unplayable with that setting left to the default of "on."
Seriously asking, why was it unplayable? Did it not work or did it just not run perfectly? Stutters or crashes?

Seriously asking, why was it unplayable? Did it not work or did it just not run perfectly? Stutters or crashes?
A wonderful mixture of both. There were instances where the performance would improve slightly after some minutes, and others where the stutter resulted in single digit framerate until TDR kicks in and the executable is killed. ALT+Tab out would most of the time exacerbate the situation. Destiny 2 was affected in the extreme, other games/engines performed without issue: Codemasters' EGO engine was fine, so was Ubisoft's Dunia/Anvil(next), and Guerilla's Decima. I only started messing around with Glacier (Hitman 2 and 3) and wasn't sure if the stuttering was my fault or the drivers' just yet.

Speaking of yet to try: I haven't deleted the cache (seems safe?) or gone full DDU (ah yes, the nuclear option). Disabling the setting in NVCP resolves it and I haven't noticed any negative effects.

I was surprised/annoyed that after the driver install I had to go back in and disable it again.

I thought this patch was supposed to help solve black screen driver crashes at idle/low usage (due to TDR values).

However I now see it in the known issues list on their forum post for this driver:
  • [Ampere] Chrome/Edge may experienece random TDR while browsing [3195894]
I get this issue in Firefox from time to time, particularly when watching video (YT, Twitch, etc). Driver crashes to black screens then restores itself after 5-10 seconds, then I have to refresh page/restart video to see it again. Never happens during gaming, furmark, or otherwise.

There are some huge threads about this on Nvidia forums, so seems to be at least a semi-common issue for RTX 3xxx owners
Disabling hardware acceleration in browser works as a workaround, but not a great one

Back