NVIDIA Ray Tracing Tech To Be Announced Next Monday, In Partnership With Microsoft

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by polonyc2, Mar 16, 2018.

1. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

VideoCardz just posted an exceedingly interesting leak...according to them, a new NVIDIA GameWorks Ray Tracing feature will be announced on Monday enabling real-time effects such as Glossy Reflections, Area Shadows and Ambient Occlusion

What’s more, this RTX technology is going to be “highly optimized” on the upcoming NVIDIA Volta GPUs, presumably at a hardware level...NVIDIA has partnered with Microsoft to create a DirectX Ray Tracing API; this is already being used by major publishers and developers like Electronic Arts, 4A Games (who are making Metro Exodus, due for release this year) and Remedy Games (now at work on Project 7, due in 2019)...the API is said to be supported by the most popular game engines, from Epic’s Unreal Engine 4 to Unity 5 and DICE’s Frostbite engine, now used in almost all the games made by Electronic Arts...

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-gameworks-ray-tracing-api-microsoft/

2. JRUHg

JRUHg Limp Gawd

3. polonyc2

4. Blackstone

Blackstone 2[H]4U

Yeah, and Half-Life 2: Episode 3 might fly out of my butt.

5. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Oh look. More stuff that will run at 15 FPS on my SLI Titan Xs.

Armenius likes this.
  6. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

He's saying you could have posted the source of the information instead of the ouroboros of WCCFTech.

7. polonyc2

Microsoft has announced the next iteration of its DirectX API, dubbed DirectX Raytracing or DXR...coinciding with the announcement, Nvidia is talking about its support for DXR, plus its own GameWorks Ray Tracing / RTX that offers raytracing features built on DXR's functionality...

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-talks-ray-tracing-and-volta-hardware/

8. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Even better links.

[H]ardocp
    https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/03/19/microsoft_introduces_directx_raytracing

PCPER
    https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics...-Ray-Tracing-Microsoft-DirectX-Raytracing-API

Microsoft
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2018/03/19/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

Anandtech
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12547/expanding-directx-12-microsoft-announces-directx-raytracing

I think it is dead in the water since it can't currently be implemented in drivers for Nvidia cards and the fallback is to use DirectCompute which Nvidia turned their noses up at years ago. This is why I think it is really dead in the water.

DirectX Raytracing Planned Support

AMD Indeterminate - Driver Due Soon

NVIDIA Volta Hardware + Software (RTX)

NVIDIA Pre-Volta Software

That information is from an Anandtech chart as I haven't read enough of the rest of the articles yet. I really doubt that Nvidia is ready to push this new technology when their current cards will be running it in software mode and the competition will be running it on the GPU. We might see it on the XBOX One and the PS4 and as an an option on a PC port. I really doubt we will really see it on PC within the next five years. Nvidia will literally have to convince their customers to upgrade their cards to make it worthwhile to add it to games. I haven't seen a PC game that really pushes my VEGA 64. I have no concerns with skipping the next generation of cards.

It seems like a cool feature though. I just have my doubts that it will amount to much just yet.

Chimpee and polonyc2 like this.
  9. realworld

realworld Limp Gawd

But does the Titan V have this new hardware capability?

10. polonyc2

so does Nvidia have the ability to put this feature into older generations of their cards and they are just choosing not to?...or is it some kind of hardware limitation?

11. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

I suspect that early implementation of this will most likely take a huge hit in GPU, more so than on Nvidia than AMD though most likely still garbage performance on AMD (would like to be proven wrong on that).

cageymaru likes this.
  12. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

Seems that way from the pcper article:

"By using the Tensor cores with RTX for DXR implementation on the TITAN V, NVIDIA will be able to offer image quality and performance for ray tracing well ahead of even the TITAN Xp or GTX 1080 Ti as those GPUs do not have Tensor cores on-board. Does this mean that all (or flagship) consumer graphics cards from NVIDIA will includ Tensor cores to enable RTX performance? Obviously, NVIDIA wouldn’t confirm that but to me it makes sense that we will see that in future generations. The scale of Tensor core integration might change based on price points, but if NVIDIA and Microsoft truly believe in the future of ray tracing to augment and significantly replace rasterization methods, then it will be necessary."

In other words everybody's video cards are now obsolete unless you happen to have splurged for the Titan V, then you are fine for a little bit. Of course the slightly cut down gaming version will be out in under a year and be maybe 1/3 the price.....

13. polonyc2

let me know when the first games come out that take advantage of this new ray tracing tech...

14. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Looks like everything was sprayed with Rhino bed liner to me.

Rhino bed liner is the black grainy stuff everywhere on this vehicle.

Viper16 likes this.
  15. kimura14

kimura14 n00b

Sounds like nvidia had to find a use for their tensor cores and they found it. Am I the only one surprised that this is how they announced Volta for desktop?