NVIDIA quietly introduces the GeForce GT 1010 — A Pascal GP108 GPU with 256 CUDA cores, 2 GB GDDR5 VRAM, and 55 W TDP

erek

[H]F Junkie
"TechPowerUp, however, has managed to put up the specifications of the NVIDIA GeForce GT 1010. According to the site, the GT 1010 is based on a GP108 GPU fabbed on the 14 nm process. The GP108 has a die area of 74 mm2 and is comprised of 1,800 million transistors. Essentially, the GT 1010 is the same GPU as the GT 1030 with some CUDA cores disabled. While the the GT 1030 offered 384 CUDA cores, the GT 1010 will offer only 256 (i.e. two streaming multiprocessors).

The GT 1010 supports 2 GB of GDDR5 VRAM on a 64-bit memory interface. The base clock of the GPU is 1,228 MHz and can boost up to 1,468 MHz. Additionally, the card features 16 texture mapping units (TMUs), 16 raster operation pipelines (ROPs), and a TDP of 55 W, which means it can run on just PCIe power without the need for power connectors.

It is not yet clear whether the GT 1010 will be available for OEM systems alone or for the general public as well. While such a cut-down Pascal GPU may seem odd in 2021, NVIDIA clearly thinks otherwise and sees a potential market for it. Who knows, we may even seen a GT 1020 as well to complete the series."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...es-2-GB-GDDR5-VRAM-and-55-W-TDP.515158.0.html

I'd be curious what spec the HDMI ports use. If this can do hardware x265 with an HDMI output that could handle 4K @ 120hz, or at least 60hz, that would make for a great HTPC card.
Hoping to see pics of the Unit soon!

The last few sentences seem confused as to why.
Nvidia Executive: "Even really old cards are selling for insane amounts on ebay."
Jensen: "Dig through the dumpsters and find those crappy chips we couldn't find a use for 3 or 4 years ago"

Hoping to see pics of the Unit soon!
phrasing.jpg

like most old die-harvest products this probably means that they're flushing inventory, in preparation for launching the RTX 3030 for scalpers to flip.

Actually I really am curious what's going to show up as an eventual 1030 replacement. Did NVidia say all future GPUs would be RTX, or that they wouldn't make any more GTX cards. I thought it was the former, but a notional 3030 would probably only have at most 1k cores, and probably less; making it far below the level of the 2060 and almost certainly too underpowered for even min-spec ray tracing. OTOH keeping the GT branding available for bottom end cards for another 2 or 3 generations wouldn't be crazy.

like most old die-harvest products this probably means that they're flushing inventory, in preparation for launching the RTX 3030 for scalpers to flip.

Actually I really am curious what's going to show up as an eventual 1030 replacement. Did NVidia say all future GPUs would be RTX, or that they wouldn't make any more GTX cards. I thought it was the former, but a notional 3030 would probably only have at most 1k cores, and probably less; making it far below the level of the 2060 and almost certainly too underpowered for even min-spec ray tracing. OTOH keeping the GT branding available for bottom end cards for another 2 or 3 generations wouldn't be crazy.
I suspect there is no way they will have top-to-bottom RTX in the near future. Even they know that would be completely wasted silicon on this level of card.

I hope.

I'm puzzled by the 55W TDP, a 1030 with 50% more cores and 2GB of GDDR5 is only 30W. Even if these are running at higher voltages because they're garbage grade dies, this seems excessively high.

I suspect there is no way they will have top-to-bottom RTX in the near future. Even they know that would be completely wasted silicon on this level of card.

I hope.
agreed. My original assumption was that RTX only going forward meant that the 1030/1650/etc would remain available as fossil products until at least the 40xx series was released. Nothing out of the ordinary for something at the 1030 level, but the 16xx cards were higher than I'd've expected to see it.

::loud announcer voice::

DO YOU want to experience the awesome game performance of the MX150 on a desktop? Now you can! Plug it into your Ryzen 5950! Marvel at sub 30FPS at 720P Low settings game play in games you played five years ago! Be amazed at being slower than an Xbox One! Wonder at the frustration you’ll feel as you question your life choices that led you to buying this crappy GPU.

Seriously: the only use I can see for this is dropping it into older but viable PCs that need hardware playback of HEVC video. We could actually use that in my office as GoPro video at Max recording won’t run on Skylake and lower iGPUs.

Edit: wait...that might not even work due to the 2GB vram limit. Netflix requires minimum 3GB. I had 4GB on my MX150 (Razer 13 - Ultrabook).

Last edited:
::loud announcer voice::

DO YOU want to experience the awesome game performance of the MX150 on a desktop? Now you can! Plug it into your Ryzen 5950! Marvel at sub 30FPS at 720P Low settings game play in games you played five years ago! Be amazed at being slower than an Xbox One! Wonder at the frustration you’ll feel as you question your life choices that led you to buying this crappy GPU.

Seriously: the only use I can see for this is dropping it into older but viable PCs that need hardware playback of HEVC video. We could actually use that in my office as GoPro video at Max recording won’t run on Skylake and lower iGPUs.
This is totally the voice I read that in :D
e1bna4wjya841.jpg

I am not really sure what the point of this is. Wouldn't a newer-gen Intel or AMD integrated solution be better?

Also apparently the TDP is only 30W, not 55.

I am not really sure what the point of this is. Wouldn't a newer-gen Intel or AMD integrated solution be better?

Also apparently the TDP is only 30W, not 55.
AMD APU, yes.
Intel iGPU, no.

I would be interested if it supported AGP or older interfaces....
That is too much re-engineing for a budget of budget cards. I don't see the point when integrated graphics are probably better. Also they would have to make custom drivers for older unsupported OS. I don't think there is a AGP system that is supported with modern OS.

That is too much re-engineing for a budget of budget cards. I don't see the point when integrated graphics are probably better. Also they would have to make custom drivers for older unsupported OS. I don't think there is a AGP system that is supported with modern OS.
Yeah but it's much more fun than just providing basic video out. At least to me.
I get they're just cleaning in between the proverbial sofa seats. And it certainly looks better than billing them as kinda broken 1030's. Unless the iGPU and APU market really is that bad right now...

Pretty sure this card is meant for Asia, I could see a card like this moving pretty well in India and parts of China, it's 30w not 55w, and easily an upgrade for the abundant 10-year-old systems that keep those areas going. With how things are priced that card would be relatively cheap in those locations in comparison to the rest of the world where it would be disparagingly expensive for what it delivers.

They really should have just called it "now the child you don't love can play fortnite alone, being raised by the internet, while you drink in the other room" GTX.

I'd be curious what spec the HDMI ports use. If this can do hardware x265 with an HDMI output that could handle 4K @ 120hz, or at least 60hz, that would make for a great HTPC card.

it's going t be the same as every other pascal card's HDMI: 4k @60 unless you like subsampling.

I expect this to be the replacement for the GT 710, with significantly better performance! They have a habit of releasing cheaper cuts of cards late in te product's life-cycle.

In this day of Covid "anything with a display output will be s old-out," having half the performance of a GT 1030 for the under $60 range will give you more reasonable options! You don't get around this supply issue by pretending it doesn't exist, so different cut will mean more GPUs available.

People have been buying whatever that can find, and as a result every video card price-point has been periodically out of stock, so this will help reduce the folks forced to upsell (and steal a GPU from a gamer) when their GT 710/GT1030 can't be found.

Last edited:
Or you could just buy a shield tv or atv4k. Who uses HTPC's any longer?

There are some weird AGP boards that can run Windows 10, such as this:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/nvidia/am2nf3-vsta/

So you could run a quad with 16 GB of ram and have your AGP card too.

I don't think you'd have to do too much engineering to get an AGP version of a low end PCIe card, just get one of those Nvidia BR02 bridge chips. It'd limit you to PCIe 1.x, but I don't see a low end video card even today saturating a PCIe 1.x x16 link.

That's a nice unit
It is. I think I might still have the JVC brochure of the 1010 line up I got back in 1990. I know I have the Polk Audio brochure with the SRS SDA 1.2's.
My buddy back in the day had the previous year JVC AVR and the Polk SDA 2.3's. that was an amazing combo back then.
this is a google image of the 1.2's,
polk 1.2.jpg

thinking about this brings back some memories.
I bought my first AVR back in 1990, it was the lower end JVC model, about $400.
I walked to the store, bought it, and walked home with it since I didn't have a car at the time.

Last edited:
It is. I think I might still have the JVC brochure of the 1010 line up I got back in 1990. I know I have the Polk Audio brochure with the SRS SDA 1.2's.
My buddy back in the day had the previous year JVC AVR and the Polk SDA 2.3's. that was an amazing combo back then.
this is a google image of the 1.2's,
View attachment 320276

thinking about this brings back some memories.
I bought my first AVR back in 1990, it was the lower end JVC model, about $400.
I walked to the store, bought it, and walked home with it since I didn't have a car at the time.
I wish I had these speakers in my Apartment, that way whenever my drunk neighbor starts making a ruckus, I could just drown her out.

Or you could just buy a shield tv or atv4k. Who uses HTPC's any longer?

Why do I need a specialized device to do the job of a computer that I already have when the computer is already more flexible and not tied to any specific platform? Then again I guess if you just watch streaming services maybe it's different. I mainly access my very large offline collection of x264/x265 movies.

Why do I need a specialized device to do the job of a computer that I already have when the computer is already more flexible and not tied to any specific platform? Then again I guess if you just watch streaming services maybe it's different. I mainly access my very large offline collection of x264/x265 movies.
Yea me too. Why use a giant computer with a pci-e card to do something a tiny little box can do?

Back