NVIDIA quietly introduces the GeForce GT 1010 — A Pascal GP108 GPU with 256 CUDA cores, 2 GB GDDR5 VRAM, and 55 W TDP

At work I do, on breaks. Why, thinking of using one of these to power a TV in card like back in the day?

they still exist, they're just usb now. I've been using mine mostly for nfl for six years now, and never once thought about going back to paid tv..

Or you could just buy a shield tv or atv4k. Who uses HTPC's any longer?

Why do I need a specialized device to do the job of a computer that I already have when the computer is already more flexible and not tied to any specific platform? Then again I guess if you just watch streaming services maybe it's different. I mainly access my very large offline collection of x264/x265 movies.

Do they do a much better jobs than the plex app and co. of a regular smart tv ? I could imagine them being much faster considering the price point and the shield TV more able to not need the server to ever do any work ?

Do they do a much better jobs than the plex app and co. of a regular smart tv ? I could imagine them being much faster considering the price point and the shield TV more able to not need the server to ever do any work ?

Streaming often involves on-the-fly transcoding of the video and/or audio. That's a great thing for compatibility and ease of use but it can introduce compression artifacts and there is no need when I can simply access the movie file directly from my file server over the network using VLC on my HTPC with no transcoding of video or audio. Then there is the flexibility aspect. For example, my receiver is an older Pioneer Elite model that is still very good but lacks support for some newer audio codecs such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio. If I used a streaming device, it would likely trancode that audio that down to oldschool Dolby Digital 5.1 or maybe oldschool DTS if I'm lucky. With my HTPC however, I can decode those newer audio codecs in software and feed it to my receiver using the 7.1 multi-channel inputs. No need to transcode anything. If a new video codec comes out in the future, all I will need to do is download the new version of VLC on my HTPC. Many existing streaming devices however will never be able to play those codecs and at best will force lossy transcoding to an older codec in order to be able to play that content at all.

Streaming often involves on-the-fly transcoding of the video and/or audio. That's a great thing for compatibility and ease of use but it can introduce compression artifacts and there is no need when I can simply access the movie file directly from my file server over the network using VLC on my HTPC with no transcoding of video or audio. Then there is the flexibility aspect. For example, my receiver is an older Pioneer Elite model that is still very good but lacks support for some newer audio codecs such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio. If I used a streaming device, it would likely trancode that audio that down to oldschool Dolby Digital 5.1 or maybe oldschool DTS if I'm lucky. With my HTPC however, I can decode those newer audio codecs in software and feed it to my receiver using the 7.1 multi-channel inputs. No need to transcode anything. If a new video codec comes out in the future, all I will need to do is download the new version of VLC on my HTPC. Many existing streaming devices however will never be able to play those codecs and at best will force lossy transcoding to an older codec in order to be able to play that content at all.

Na, i can play plex, with atmos and dolby vision, from a shield tv. You're thinking of streaming boxes from 2014. The HTPC is a dead market these days.

I do. Mostly for sports. Not paying ridiculous cable prices for stuff I can easily "stream". Sometime before stuff airs even.
I do, mostly because of sports, that was the fine straw there since any cable package comes with "Sports Franchise Fee" which Comcast agreed to pay, which they now line-item so they can advertise cheaper prices. Then there's also a local broadcast fee, which is absolute horseshit to charge because Comcast injects their own commercials so they're making money of it... but yeah... antenna on the roof for football games, or if I can get those stream them in a not so legal fashion, and other not so legal stuff :)

Na, i can play plex, with atmos and dolby vision, from a shield tv. You're thinking of streaming boxes from 2014.

I don't think you read my post. I didn't say that you can't stream current newer codecs using a streaming device, I was just explaining why it wouldn't work in my situation without the flexibility that comes with having an HTPC. My limitation is my home theater receiver which can't decode the newer codecs. If I had a streaming device hooked up via HDMI or S/PDIF I would be limited to 2 channel PCM or traditional Dolby/DTS. Thankfully my HTPC runs 7.1 multi-channel output to my receiver, so literally any codec that can be decoded in software on my HTPC can be fed directly into my receiver, including future codecs that don't even exist yet.

I think your reference to "streaming boxes from 2014" is funny; implying, obviously, that a streaming box from 2014 is essentially obsolete in terms of it's capabilities. Well my HTPC is even older than that, running a CPU from 2011, a Videocard from 2012, and a Sound Card from 2005, yet it's not limited in any way and should be good for years to come. Is there a special reason why I should buy a proprietary streaming device which, if I'm lucky, might match the capabilities of what I'm already using for free? At least for a few years until that streaming device is also obsolete and I have to shell out more money yet again for a newer one.

The HTPC is a dead market these days.

"Dead market"? An "HTPC" is just a computer, and a TV is just a monitor. I'd argue that more people are hooking their computers up to their TV's today than ever before in history.

Last edited:
I do, mostly because of sports, that was the fine straw there since any cable package comes with "Sports Franchise Fee" which Comcast agreed to pay, which they now line-item so they can advertise cheaper prices. Then there's also a local broadcast fee, which is absolute horseshit to charge because Comcast injects their own commercials so they're making money of it... but yeah... antenna on the roof for football games, or if I can get those stream them in a not so legal fashion, and other not so legal stuff :)
Don't even need a outdoor antenna. I use a cheap powered indoor one from Amazon and works fine for the most part.

I get the market. This replaces the aging GT710 which still has uses.. Really though, a GT1610 would have made more sense. Something with just a little more go juice than a 1030, or even make a 1630. With graphics cards the way they are right now, there is a market.

I still use an OTA antennae.

Don't even need a outdoor antenna. I use a cheap powered indoor one from Amazon and works fine for the most part.
Yeah my house eats RF signals like a fat man eats McDonalds. Literally 2 or 3 places in my house where my cell phone gets signal, plus I'm on a hill. So I need something a bit beefier. I did try one of those flat ones that you just stick on the wall, and while it got some channels, it wasn't very many.

Well my HTPC is even older than that, running a CPU from 2011, a Videocard from 2012, and a Sound Card from 2005
How the heck are you playing modern video formats. You claim the HTPC is alive and kicking, yet your setup is ancient.

Bro i'm not criticizing you or your setup, but HTPC was a thing for a long time. They made dedicated HTPC cases that you could rack mount with the rest of your hardware. Hell i held out forever because my CRT projector would accept VGA 1080p. That market is still there, but you cannot with a straight face tell me it's anything like the mid 2000s, it's tiny.

How the heck are you playing modern video formats. You claim the HTPC is alive and kicking, yet your setup is ancient.

It's running an i5-2500 (non-k). Sandy Bridge has aged well, and it is able to do 4k x265 in software, although you can hear the CPU fan ramp up. I was actually running a Core2Quad Q9550 in there up until about a year ago, but although that CPU could do 4K x264, I got skipping and audio/video sync issues with x265. The videocard is a Radeon 7770 and the soundcard is an old Creative X-Fi, both still supported with current drivers thankfully.

Although it works I would still like to eventually swap in a card that can do x265 in hardware.

Yup. I got one of the new ATSC 3.0 HDHomeruns from Kickstarter.
How's that working out for you? I was super jazzed as I'm in one of the "top markets" but didn't pull the trigger because at the time tuners were disgustingly expensive I mean 4k news and the occasional 4k football game, but then COVID hit, and while some markets pushed through, mine stalled out, still it's under development whatever that means.

How's that working out for you? I was super jazzed as I'm in one of the "top markets" but didn't pull the trigger because at the time tuners were disgustingly expensive I mean 4k news and the occasional 4k football game, but then COVID hit, and while some markets pushed through, mine stalled out, still it's under development whatever that means.
ATSC 3.0 obviously still in its infancy and there are lots of bugs and compatibility issues (particularly in NC). Luckily 1.0 is still around for several years while all this gets worked out. They're working on things every day but it will take time. I just bought it for future proofing. It's my first SD product and it's cool that I can watch live TV on my HDTV, Fire Sticks, phone, whatever and put the antenna anywhere in the house that's networked (huge help with positioning). Before this I was using an old Hauppauge PCI-E tuner in my HTPC.

I get the market. This replaces the aging GT710 which still has uses.. Really though, a GT1610 would have made more sense. Something with just a little more go juice than a 1030, or even make a 1630. With graphics cards the way they are right now, there is a market.

I still use an OTA antennae.
That'd miss the same purpose that that 710 had. It was to use up all the partially bad GK208 dies they'd accumulated while making GT 630/635/730 cards. The 1010 is a dumpster to put the partially bad GP108's they accumulated while making GT 1030s. I'm assuming it happening now means they finally ran out of GK208's to fob off on cheapest of all possible product buyers. Since we never had a TU108/208 or a 1630 to begin with I don't anticipate ever seeing a 1610 in the future. My guess would be the next xx10 will either be 3010 or 4010 built around an shader only GA108 or nextgen108 that doesn't come out for 6 or 30 more months.

Has anyone seen these GT1010 cards at any retailers yet? I've been searching eBay for one but can't find any.

I'd be curious what spec the HDMI ports use. If this can do hardware x265 with an HDMI output that could handle 4K @ 120hz, or at least 60hz, that would make for a great HTPC card.
Intel's XE integrated graphics ;)

Has anyone seen these GT1010 cards at any retailers yet? I've been searching eBay for one but can't find any.
I believe I seen them at Mc for a brief moment a while back. I find it funny that the 1010 suppose to be the replacement but every one seems to carry the 710 still. My MC has a ton of them still.

Anyone close enough to a Microcenter to pick up a GT 1010 for me?

Back