nVidia Quad SLI GeForce 7950 GX2. how does it compare to the 8800s?

My quad sli got about 14,000 3dmarks, my single 8800GTX gets just under 20,000.

BIG HUGE SOB!!:)

you are not kidding!?!!

they should replace the quad 7950 with quad 8800s!

I would put the 8800gts ahead of the 7950gx2 just because its a sinlge gpu card so it does not have to worry about sli drivers for all games to get its max performance and with overclocking it can start to rival the 8800gtx.

people are always talking about the "better image quality", i don't see it, i got a gts, and, i don't see it.

Going from a 7800GT... THe image quality difference on my GTS is amazing... 16x AF is incredible.

people are always talking about the "better image quality", i don't see it, i got a gts, and, i don't see it.

Quess your one of the people who did not see ATIs better IQ in the past years either. Well others are so called "golden eyes" that spot these things better.

On the Quad thingy, I think the whole concept of SLI/CF is hoax and is just another way to sell us more cards, but thats just me. I mean you throw 2x the money at them and get maybe max 50% performance increase and shit load of driver issues :D

I'm sorry but the 8800gts obliterates a 7950gx2... especially if you enable AA, AF, HDR etc. The 8800 series is simply a different architecture altogether, with it's stream processing et al the 7950gx2 can't hold a candle to it, particuarly at high resolutions (ie 1920x1200+)

The difference is easily noticeable by just about anyone. Even in 2d, the colors are a bit better due to the new 10bit ramdac. In 3d the difference is much more prominent, all of the shimmering problems with the 7x series are gone, and the AA is a lot better too.

The difference is easily noticeable by just about anyone. Even in 2d, the colors are a bit better due to the new 10bit ramdac. In 3d the difference is much more prominent, all of the shimmering problems with the 7x series are gone, and the AA is a lot better too.

I went from a 7900GT to an 8800GTS and believe me, I saw the difference. It's huge.

I don't own an 8800 (yet), so I felt it best not to reply to JVC's "I don't see it" comment, so thanks guys for chiming in with what I thought and hoped was the reality. But his statement that he owns a GTS raises the issue of why he's even asking the question posed by this thread. Is he contemplating buying a set of 7950GX2's from a buddy or something? If so, I'd say a big no. The power draw is horrible, the effectiveness of Quad-SLI is spotty at best, and the tech is now outdated. I'm sure that for less than the cost of even a used pair of GX2's he could buy a second GTS for SLI, a setup that would absolutely crush the GX2's.

Does anyone know if you can use two different brand 7950 GX2's in Quad SLI. IE say I have an XFX and a BFG 7950 GX2. Same goes for the 8800 GTX's? I'm selling my XFX 7950 GX2 and someone asked me this. I was pretty sure you could but not totally positive. Any assistance would be helpful!

Also as for the image quality, I always that that ATI was way ahead of Nvidia in that area but the 8800 GTX image quality is superb.

I don't own an 8800 (yet), so I felt it best not to reply to JVC's "I don't see it" comment, so thanks guys for chiming in with what I thought and hoped was the reality. But his statement that he owns a GTS raises the issue of why he's even asking the question posed by this thread. Is he contemplating buying a set of 7950GX2's from a buddy or something? If so, I'd say a big no. The power draw is horrible, the effectiveness of Quad-SLI is spotty at best, and the tech is now outdated. I'm sure that for less than the cost of even a used pair of GX2's he could buy a second GTS for SLI, a setup that would absolutely crush the GX2's.

He might have a 6bit monitor or something, and from his viewpoint, there would be no difference. Who knows.

I too was utterly underwhelmed with Quad SLI. I got them for free through the EVGA step-up from SC 7900 GTX's, and I regretted doing it almost immediately. The performance WAS better, but there were tons of driver issues and I had to scrap my plans for watercooling with them. Now I'm back to a single card with the 8800GTX, and couldn't be happier.

This thread makes me want to upgrade my cards to an 8800gtx =\ The C2D system will be here in a week and now Im having seconds thoughts about keeping my 7800gtx's....thanks guys....lol

Back