NVIDIA Puts the GeForce GTX 1060 under the Knife Once Again

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
NVIDIA is reportedly working on yet another variant of the GTX 1060 for the Chinese market: this time, they’ll utilize the GP104 chip, which is used in cards such as the GTX 1070, 1070 Ti, and 1080. Performance should be no different, however, as the specifications have not changed.

Despite the radical change, GP104-equipped GTX 1060 graphics cards share the same specifications as the original 6 GB model. Therefore, performance should be right in line as well. Although, we can expect some slight, unnoticeable differences in regard to thermals and power consumption. As usual, the new GTX 1060s will be exclusive to the Chinese market.

hmm this says to me they have a glut of GP104's they want to get rid of so either the 11 series are coming soon or NV board builders are holding back

hmm this says to me they have a glut of GP104's they want to get rid of so either the 11 series are coming soon or NV board builders are holding back
Not the first thing that came to mind. My thinking was that the GTX 1060 is slower compared to the RX580 that Nvidia needed to beef it up with yet another variant of the GP104. With driver updates, AMD has made the Polaris architecture faster than the 1060, especially with newer games. Plus, this being China and all, maybe the Chinese look at it like this, in that the RX 580 can mine cryptocurrency and play games well, while the GTX 1060 cannot.

The biggest question is why doesn't Nvidia just lower the price of the GTX 1070? The answer is probably not to devalue the x70 line of cards and people expect to pay less for one.

This is FAR more of an issue with consumer awareness than whatever the hell GPP was suppose to fix.

Like I've said before, NV seems to using whatever scrap they have lying around to mash up into a card anymore.

Even this is too good for NV but somehow feel's appropriate:

Using gp104 for 1060s probably means they're limited by production, they're not going to have core counts higher than gp106 according to the tpu article

Like I've said before, NV seems to using whatever scrap they have lying around to mash up into a card anymore.

Even this is too good for NV but somehow feel's appropriate:

Why ain't my VR working right? You big dummy!

The greatness of this show is that long before Seinfeld thought of it, it was about nothing.

Where my daddy's records?

Last edited:
Not the first thing that came to mind. My thinking was that the GTX 1060 is slower compared to the RX580 that Nvidia needed to beef it up with yet another variant of the GP104. With driver updates, AMD has made the Polaris architecture faster than the 1060, especially with newer games. Plus, this being China and all, maybe the Chinese look at it like this, in that the RX 580 can mine cryptocurrency and play games well, while the GTX 1060 cannot.

The biggest question is why doesn't Nvidia just lower the price of the GTX 1070? The answer is probably not to devalue the x70 line of cards and people expect to pay less for one.
This new 1060 has the same specs as the normal 1060,there are no differences in performance, there's going to be a full GPC disabled vs a 1070.

Using gp104 for 1060s probably means they're limited by production, they're not going to have core counts higher than gp106 according to the tpu article

Yes but, people will try to unlock them anyways, if at all possible.

Even if they dont unlock, overclockability will almost certainly be different.

They must have a huge stock pile of failed 104s that dontmake even the 1070 spec.
No they likely do not have a huge stockpile of GP104s with so many defects that only half the chip can be enabled

No they likely do not have a huge stockpile of GP104s with so many defects that only half the chip can be enabled

Why sell a chip as a 1060 when you can sell it for more as a 1080ti? These chips must be defective, from where I couldn't say, RMA'd GPUs? Just failed chips?

Why sell a chip as a 1060 when you can sell it for more as a 1080ti? These chips must be defective, from where I couldn't say, RMA'd GPUs? Just failed chips?
GP102 is used for 1080Ti and TXp. GP104 is a 4 GPC chip (4 x 5SM). 1070 uses a GP104 die with one GPC disabled. The sheer volume they will be selling in china kinda invalidates the notion that they are defective chips because that's quite an impressive stockpile of half-dud GP104s. The most reasonable justification I can think of is that TSMCs supply is a huge bottleneck, so they are opting to keep ordering wafers of GP104s and use them for chinese 1060s. If TPU (the source of the leak/rumor/whatever you wanna call it) is correct then it will perform identically to a 1060. GP104 is ~300mm^2, i doubt they have yield issues severe enough to supply the chinese market with bad chips.

They're probably doing this to supplement supply in China, along with normal 1060s.

Reactions: Elios
like this
GP102 is used for 1080Ti and TXp. GP104 is a 4 GPC chip (4 x 5SM). 1070 uses a GP104 die with one GPC disabled. The sheer volume they will be selling in china kinda invalidates the notion that they are defective chips because that's quite an impressive stockpile of half-dud GP104s. The most reasonable justification I can think of is that TSMCs supply is a huge bottleneck, so they are opting to keep ordering wafers of GP104s and use them for chinese 1060s. If TPU (the source of the leak/rumor/whatever you wanna call it) is correct then it will perform identically to a 1060. GP104 is ~300mm^2, i doubt they have yield issues severe enough to supply the chinese market with bad chips.

They're probably doing this to supplement supply in China, along with normal 1060s.
That would make sense if 1070 to 1080 were not selling....but they are. So much so the last time i check NVidia store was "out of Stock".

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

upload_2018-5-13_22-3-34.png

This is all about getting rid of borked chips.

Right, given incredibly high demand for GPUs, this is an effort to add a little more supply.

Normally this wouldn't be worthwhile for the small number of chips, and the separate validation process, but everything is currently sold-out.

Any move that adds inventory is viable right now, in this unprecedented year of GPU demand :D

Back