NVIDIA Powers Digital Dashboard in New Tesla Electric Sedan

HardOCP News

[H] News
When the highly anticipated Tesla Motors Model S electric sedan makes its debut Friday, so will the NVIDIA Tegra Visual Computing Module (VCM). Based on the same powerful Tegra processor used in smartphones and tablets, the Tegra VCM will power the vehicle’s 17-inch touchscreen infotainment and navigation system – the largest ever in a passenger car – as well as its all-digital instrument cluster.

If something similar ends up in a mass produced vehicle...imagine the possibilities:

-Root your entire Dash!
-Have a "cop button" (ala the boss button), angry birds playing tight in front of your steering wheel that at a click of a button is back to your normal gauges!
-Cause all new kinds of accidents on the roadways!

If something similar ends up in a mass produced vehicle...imagine the possibilities:

-Root your entire Dash!
-Have a "cop button" (ala the boss button), angry birds playing tight in front of your steering wheel that at a click of a button is back to your normal gauges!
-Cause all new kinds of accidents on the roadways!

There have been a series of ads with some new Cadillacs that have something similar.

I can't help but think they ripped off Tesla, but where able to develop it faster than Tesla was...

I wonder how much fuel I have... hmmm... "Wait Report Close" WTF? Ok then Wait... Back to home screen? WTF? Where did my gauges go?

I wonder how much fuel I have... hmmm... "Wait Report Close" WTF? Ok then Wait... Back to home screen? WTF? Where did my gauges go?

The touchscreen dash actually seems to work pretty well, judging by engadget's video.

It seems to drive pretty well too..

I'm feeling like with this car, useable electric has finally arrived.

They have cool remote management apps for IOS and Android as well.

Taken from this article back in October, so things may have changed since then...

When the highly anticipated Tesla Motors Model S electric sedan makes its debut Friday, so will the NVIDIA Tegra Visual Computing Module (VCM). Based on the same powerful Tegra processor used in smartphones and tablets, the Tegra VCM will power the vehicle’s 17-inch touchscreen infotainment and navigation system – the largest ever in a passenger car – as well as its all-digital instrument cluster.

But can it play Crysis?

No seriously, I couldn't care less about the power of the display screen I won't pay much attention to, just another device that takes your attention away from what is going on around you, and allows you to plant yourself in a tree, or wrap the car around a lamp post, maybe even wander through the opposite lane and remove yourself from the world.

But can it play Crysis?

No seriously, I couldn't care less about the power of the display screen I won't pay much attention to, just another device that takes your attention away from what is going on around you, and allows you to plant yourself in a tree, or wrap the car around a lamp post, maybe even wander through the opposite lane and remove yourself from the world.

It replaces the button controls in the car, controlling everything from opening and closing the sun roof, climate controls, radio controls, navigation, etc. etc. etc.

While I believe it does have a browser in it, that's not really the point of it, and I presume it will be disabled when the car is in motion, otherwise they'd get sued to death the first time someone has a crash while browsing on the dash.

If anything, by having a nice, clean and efficient layout for controlling your music, it saves all the distraction that goes along with fumbling for the right song on your ipod or tuning on the regular radio.

Having tested the car in person (stationary, I didn't get to ride or drive) I think it works well, is very intuitive, and would be a plus from a distraction perspective, not a negative.

I'm just concerned with how well they will be visible in sunlight.

I dunno, I'd rather have actual buttons as you know where they are, a flat piece of glass (and highly reflective from what I saw) won't help you find the AC dial by feel or location, as your too busy watching the road. I have reservations about going totally touch screen for the basic environmental controls, the radio not so much, but everything else should be an actual control until the car can drive itself with no margin of error.

I can see it now, cop pulls you over and asks " DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WHERE GOING?" No sir driver stopped responding!

Zarathustra[H];1038858293 said:
Actually, answering this question is very very easy without even looking at the dash.

You have no fuel in this car, ever, unless you are transporting something :p

Ah, touché ! ;)

I dunno, I'd rather have actual buttons as you know where they are, a flat piece of glass (and highly reflective from what I saw) won't help you find the AC dial by feel or location, as your too busy watching the road. I have reservations about going totally touch screen for the basic environmental controls, the radio not so much, but everything else should be an actual control until the car can drive itself with no margin of error.

I fully agree. To me, there are two non-essential that should always be physical controls: the volume knob, and air conditioning controls. These are both things that are commonly adjusted, and having easy access is paramount. Things like song selection I may do only once or twice during a trip; having that be inside a touch menu is acceptable. I'd still prefer iPod style, circle wheel navigation with a large LCD screen displaying track data, but I'm willing to accept a touch interface.

The volume knob being physical is a personal thing, and one many people won't share. I absolutely hate touchscreen volume controls, even on portable devices. However they are a necessary evil on many of them, so I begrudgingly use them. In a car however, I have a dashboard that is likely to be quite sizable. I'm willing to give up a couple square inches to allow myself the pleasure that is tactile feedback. In an automotive environment, I do not even like rocker switches as I feel they require you to look down too much.

Climate controls are something of a touchy subject for me as I am extraordinarily picky. I accept buttons, but I HATE automatic climate controls. The temperature I'm comfortable with is narrow, and buttons are not granular enough. I have a hard time imagining myself getting comfortable in a car with touch interface for climate controls.

Back