Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

after all the backlash, I think Nvidia will reverse course on this and keep things the way they are...locking drivers behind some silly program is setting a bad precedent...forcing people to do anything will never turn out well from a public relations and practical standpoint

after all the backlash, I think Nvidia will reverse course on this and keep things the way they are...locking drivers behind some silly program is setting a bad precedent...forcing people to do anything will never turn out well from a public relations and practical standpoint
Now would be a good time for them to issue a statement about how they misjudged what the community wanted or some other nonsense like that. I wouldn't expect them to backtrack on this, they've done similar (or worse) things already and showed no remorse.

Now would be a good time for them to issue a statement about how they misjudged what the community wanted or some other nonsense like that. I wouldn't expect them to backtrack on this, they've done similar (or worse) things already and showed no remorse.

when you have an 82% market share in the desktop GPU market things like this start to happen

So it looks like you'll be a member of the 10% group that downloads drivers once every quarter from Nvidia's website.

If they pull this shit I'll be the member of the group that shows a huge middle finger to nvidia, and

a. get the drivers from unofficial sources
b. go over to the competition, even if it means slightly less performance.

I don't give in to bullies. If I were still inside the first 30 days from my purchase I'd return my 980TI right now.

Is this something hackers / tech-code enthusiasts can disassemble and release as stand alone? I an wait a few days for these scene drivers

If they pull this shit I'll be the member of the group that shows a huge middle finger to nvidia, and

a. get the drivers from unofficial sources

Is this something hackers / tech-code enthusiasts can disassemble and release as stand alone? I an wait a few days for these scene drivers

DRIVERZ

I only install the main driver and physX, I don't need anything else.

Yes, but in the future you will need to register before you can download and install Game Ready drivers. I do hope that it gets changed to the way it was before. My Canadian brothers from another mother just bought GTX 970 after my recommendation today.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blo...=MCP:en-US:official&client=firefox&gws_rd=ssl

2n7eio5.jpg

Can you block all those services or straight-up delete the files without breaking GFE itself?
If it were possible to get GFE to run completely standalone (no background processes) then it would be tolerable.

Meaning, it starts when you load the program, it closes when you end it. No footprint.

Wow this is almost as shitty as the time they lock off overclocking for mobile users (almost) typical Nvidia BS. makes me sad because I fell they make the superior product but this kind of shit makes me feel compeled to go with "team red" just because I feel like if I pay $300+ for a piece of hardware I should be able to use it however I want.

Can you block all those services or straight-up delete the files without breaking GFE itself?
If it were possible to get GFE to run completely standalone (no background processes) then it would be tolerable.

Meaning, it starts when you load the program, it closes when you end it. No footprint.

You can delete them and it installs fine. That's how I have been doing it for years now.. Although I don't think the NVI2 one can be deleted. Will have to test it.

edit: No.. NVI2 cant be deleted.

I'm cracking up at Factum aggressively defending GFE here.

He's like the pure distilled form of "I'm not having any problems so everyone else must be making it up".

I think they forgot to put this on their signature:
Member of Nvidia Focus Group. NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

Here's my GFE menu screen

Last edited:
I think they forgot to put this on their signature:
And what about some of the retarded posts some AMD fans have made in this thread? I won't name names, but you know who I'm talking about.
We know AMD loves their blacklists, though. Start branding people "NVIDIA" so they know who to discredit.

Beta drivers before Day 1 drivers?

Hmm... something doesn't seem right here...

I use beta drivers for development all the time, so there has to be a way around not using geforce experience ;), Big hint right there.

Just eyeballing my system, since some of you made me curious, all of the NVIDIA services running in the background on my PC use 40MB of RAM. Total, including GFE.

For comparison...

Battle.net: 102MB
Google Chrome: >1GB
Afterburner: 6.3MB
Origin: 103MB
uTorrent: 106MB
Google Drive: 63MB

I think the people concerned about their system background processes are making a big deal out of nothing.

Just eyeballing my system, since some of you made me curious, all of the NVIDIA services running in the background on my PC use 40MB of RAM. Total, including GFE.

For comparison...

Battle.net: 102MB
Google Chrome: >1GB
Afterburner: 6.3MB
Origin: 103MB
uTorrent: 106MB
Google Drive: 63MB

I think the people concerned about their system background processes are making a big deal out of nothing.

A lot of the people "complaining" in this thread are known AMD fanboys/trolls. I'm pretty sure that outside a vocal minority of NVIDIA customers, the majority won't care and will appreciate an application that notifies them when driver updates are available and lets them grab it without having to navigate to a website.

GFE already notifies its users when there's an update. Nvidia is just removing a feature that already exists... The change benefits no one except maybe Nvidia themselves, ergo it's a bad change. I don't know why anybody would defend it. if you already get your drivers thru GFE, then good for you... But please don't screw over the rest of us.

GFE already notifies its users when there's an update. Nvidia is just removing a feature that already exists... The change benefits no one except maybe Nvidia themselves, ergo it's a bad change. I don't know why anybody would defend it. if you already get your drivers thru GFE, then good for you... But please don't screw over the rest of us.

GFE already has a registration option so the only change now is that it requires it rather than make it optional. This obviously benefits NVIDIA as they can send you marketing material and the easy solution is to simply use a junk email account. It also frees up their website to have quarterly updates rather than clutter it with the constant updates that NVIDIA puts out. Nobody is getting screwed over here, all I see is a bunch of histrionics from a vocal minority and AMD trolls.I'm sure for the small percentage of NVIDIA customers that are strangely adamant about not having GFE present on their system will find alternative download sites that mirror the drivers--I may start tossing them up on my domain if TPU or Guru3D doesn't do it first.

A lot of the people "complaining" in this thread are known AMD fanboys/trolls. I'm pretty sure that outside a vocal minority of NVIDIA customers, the majority won't care and will appreciate an application that notifies them when driver updates are available and lets them grab it without having to navigate to a website.

Thank you. Because holy crap, this is absolutely incredible. People wanting to return their video cards and screaming like toxic children seems to be the norm in the Nvidia section and it's really fucking irritating.

They seem to be billing this as part of a grander plan. I suspect they're going to somehow merge GFE with the Shield and try to create their own gaming platform or something that ties everything together. I guess we'll know in December.

Thank you. Because holy crap, this is absolutely incredible. People wanting to return their video cards and screaming like toxic children seems to be the norm in the Nvidia section and it's really fucking irritating.

And instead of bitching about other people bitching, you could just add them to the ignore list. Problem solved.

Because OMG, you can only speak in awe and appreciation of the holy greenness in this section of the forums. There is no place for infidels here.

So let me get this straight. We got people here defending the move of a multi billion dollar corporation that clearly has absolutely zero benefit to anyone besides their own greed, and it possibly paves the way for them to put up to date drivers behind a pay wall. And who dares to criticise the move is automatically an AMD fanboy/troll.

"Double standards" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Amount of new AMD card purchases this move will compel: 0.

I don't give in to bullies. If I were still inside the first 30 days from my purchase I'd return my 980TI right now.

I'd be happy to take it off your hands, I'm looking for one.

I'd be happy to take it off your hands, I'm looking for one.

Sure, if you're willing to pay the full retail price I paid for it in the EU. Which comes to about 850 USD.

Sure, if you're willing to pay the full retail price I paid for it in the EU. Which comes to about 850 USD.

You've got a freesync monitor, you'd be better served selling the 980 ti and grabbing an AMD gpu. Put your money where your mouth is.

You've got a freesync monitor, you'd be better served selling the 980 ti and grabbing an AMD gpu. Put your money where your mouth is.

I've just sold a 290x crossfire setup, and freesync was crap on this monitor.

And I don't intend to loose money again. If I could return my card and get it's price back I would. But selling it second hand is not an option.

There should be 0 services using 0MB of RAM.
I could simply uninstall those applications or shut off the services if I wanted to.

The point is, background services like these generally serve a purpose:

Steam - automatically updates and patches my games
Origin - automatically updates and patches my games
Afterburner - overclocking and system monitoring tools
uTorrent - seeding my torrents
Google Drive - cloud back ups
Chrome - caching my most regularly viewed websites.

It's simply a matter of "is a few hundred MB of RAM worth this convenience". For me the answer is yes. I really can't see how that's a big deal, almost everyone on this forum has >8GB of RAM on their PCs. When's the last time you were REALLY RAM constrained?

Back