NVIDIA on the Cause of RTX 2080 Series Card Failures

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

NVIDIA on the Cause of RTX 2080 Series Card Failures

If you are a fan of games and computer hardware, especially GPUs, you have undoubtedly seen anecdotal evidence that NVIDIA's new RTX 2080 series cards are failing due to artifacting, simply stopping working, and in some cases actually catching on fire. Now it seems that NVIDIA is owning up to there actually being an issue with its new RTX cards.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

DrezKill likes this.
  2. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

FAKE NEWS, THEY WILL FIND AN AMD COMPONENT IN ALL THE FAILED PCs IF THEY SEARCH HARD ENOUGH.

AceGoober and DoubleTap like this.
  3. Joust

Joust [H]ard|Gawd

"See our glowing reviews of the 2000-series..."

Glowing, indeed. An actual torchlight.

4. hesho

hesho Limp Gawd

wow...

i was actually expecting them to somehow say these failures are a "feature"

still seems like a rather BS answer to me though...

5. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

So the whole Xbox 360 thing was just a few screws not tightened correctly and thus "escaped"...yep, bullshit.

ltron likes this.
  6. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Calling it test escapes could be any component on the board that went bad from the cheapest part to the core. That's not letting the public know what was wrong with the cards and what steps they are taking to improve quality. People want to know so that they can feel confident in purchasing NVIDIA products and know that it will not start a literal fire.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

The ONE time I jump on the early adopter bandwagon.... Hopefully the 2070's are immune from this.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  8. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

They should know for a fact what range by serial number is impacted. If they want to maintain consumer confidence they should do an optional recall/RMA of sorts for every affected serial number.

AceGoober, Anemone and Bigshrimp like this.
  9. joobjoob

joobjoob Limp Gawd

So the 2080ti is the Chevy volt of gpu?

Attached Files:

c3k, Master_shake_ and ricson like this.
  10. Gigantopithecus

Gigantopithecus [H]ardOCP Case Reviewer

I was going to pass on the RTX 2080 Ti until I saw Dell recently released a 49" ultraultrawide monitor - I'd like to move from a 1080 Ti and a 3440x1440 display to an RTX 2080 Ti and a 5120x1440 screen.

But now that it's clear Nvidia and its partners are charging a premium price for a product made with bottom-barrel components, I'll keep waiting...

11. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Test: To test the hardware's performance under load.

Escape: To escape your house fire.

AceGoober, Sufu, LightsOut41 and 9 others like this.
  12. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

All the tear downs show the card is actually overbuilt part wise.

The issue is that some faulty parts were allowed through due to a QC human error screw up.

AceGoober, revenant, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  13. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

These cards seem to be working ....... Then deteriorating and failing.

I don't buy that answer. What they said would align more with DOA cards

14. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

DpvpVsXWwAAfs0r.jpg

AceGoober, Bigshrimp, Dayaks and 12 others like this.
  15. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

wow I am shocked Nvidia is owning up to it to be honest. Hopefully they will be able to fix the issues they are having for people cause man $1200+ for a video card to have known failures?

I mean shit after BF5 with Ray Tracing showing to be a failure (IMO might be both dice and Nvidia) whats the point of even buying one right now? Too bad Pascal 1080ti cards are becoming harder to find.

LightsOut41 and ltron like this.
  16. homernoy

homernoy Limp Gawd

I'm really nervous hearing about all of these failures. My RTX 2080Ti arrives tomorrow. I'm going to use it with my existing motherboard and CPU for a few days before I install new ones!! If this thing goes up in flames, I don't want my new motherboard, 8700k, and DDR 4 going up with it.

AceGoober and JokerCPoC like this.
  17. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

The failiure there is on DICE for not delivering a game with a decent DX12 rendering path that doesn't cripple performance regardless of DXR being used or not. DX12 runs on shit on both AMD and nvidia in all the frostbite engine games.

18. nEo717

nEo717 Limp Gawd

If this becomes a deeper "problem" for nVidia, beyond the little smile on Lisa Su's face, if she (has taken) some risk, and 7nm RX Vega 64 is (happens to be) close to release (liquid as previous gen) - it could be just the gap filler for a RTX recall we could be looking for. AMD may not be able to hit 2080 Ti performance I suppose, however 2080 mark should be attainable for them which in this case may not be so bad (for short term).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    ltron and N4CR like this.
  19. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

"Limited test escapes"

what?

How about letting us know how to check our own hardware so we can find out if we have a "Limited test escape" before it burns the house down and kills my family and/or pets. Thanks!

Anemone, Bcc335, watertown28 and 11 others like this.
  20. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

Wasn’t the 2080ti delayed a week or two? You think Nvidia knew about this issue but sent out the cards anyway? Tinfoil hat on.

21. RealBeast

RealBeast Gawd

Nope, it's a feature -- the 2080Ti Arsonist version.

Add a Diablotek PSU shaped object and you can torch the place in no time. ;)

22. Advil

Advil [H]ard|Gawd

Every ubergeek teardown done on these cards had the opinion that they certainly "appear" to have been overbuilt as hell.

If I was Nvidia, I'd be pretty demoralized when their reference design is this beefy and yet somehow just plain bad parts somehow end up in a design that strong.

23. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Yeah, the teardown showed that the reference build could support fairly insane power levels if you kept the card cooled, and gamersnexus has shown that even the somewhat limited FE blower keeps all the parts (even on the cards that are failing) well within acceptable temp ranges.

Whoever nvidia contracted out to build these things fucked up big time with the QC.

24. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

so they have been skimping on testing the PCB parts for their flagship GPU??...sad...I'm shocked they actually admitted this...another GTX 970 VRAM class action lawsuit might be incoming

25. aokman

aokman Gawd

NVIDIA havent cut any corners with part selection or build. The fire I cant work out considering all the power inputs are fused.

Probably a bad batch of a part or soldering issue caused by thermal fatigue.

26. workshop35

workshop35 Limp Gawd

Quote from the geforce forums linked in the article. Would make sense that the initial cards having problems would have micron memory since they all have micron memory. Of course thats only if what the poster is saying is true...

27. Krenum

Actually, the fin stack on the 2080 FE (Reference) cards is a bit anemic. Within spec, but only just.

28. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

We speculated early on that it wasn't sufficient - but go watch the gamersnexus video where they look at the temps. The design is keeping everything well within spec.

I don't think Nvidia would have shipped these cards with the ability to push 124% power target if they thought their cooler wasn't good enough.

Armenius and ltron like this.
  29. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

I saw the post in the other thread this morning about that EVGA. Have there been any other AIB reported failures too? How's your Strix doing, since I'm still on the hunt for one? Just trying to keep track of the trails.

30. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Good on them to stand by the product. If it were Apple it would have been full on excuses on why you held it wrong to install.. oh wait, Apple doesn't even let you do that! ;)

31. Joust

Joust [H]ard|Gawd

Some actuary probably said, this problem is going to burn someone's apartment building down and the lawsuit is going to be horrendous. Credit where it is due.

32. aokman

aokman Gawd

Considering people are cooling the VRM passively, I find that hard to believe.

Dont mistake high temps for insufficient cooling, the fans are set to ramp up as needed and are more than capable flat out.

33. Krenum

Who's cooling a reference RTX 2080 series card passively under load?

34. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

But...only 0.02% RMAs. :cry::rolleyes:

35. Advil

Advil [H]ard|Gawd

I'm cooling a Windforce OC with a Morpheus II and dual 120mm fans on the front and two thin smaller fans blowing on the back. No other heatsinks. So far, I can touch the VRMs or the VRAM chips on the card during a full load bench and it won't burn me. A lot of air is getting blown on the card on both sides...

36. A Little Teapot

A Little Teapot [H]Lite

I do wonder how many cards are out there with marginal parts on them, just waiting to fail. If I had one of these initial release cards, I'd be returning it.

37. Crystoff

Crystoff [H]Lite

The old saying is: "You can't test in quality". I don't reject NVidia's explanation, but find it strange that they need such strict component testing to weed out bad ones in the lot they receive. Don't their parts vendors take care of all of that? They're supposedly equipped to do a very good job of it, and would want to. Could NVidia be buying cheapo parts? They'd have no motivation to do so on high-end boards, certainly.

I'm surprised at this finding. I thought it would probably be non-conservative board layout or some overloaded power component.

38. Soulmetzger

Soulmetzger [H]ard|Gawd

All jokes aside, I'm glad I dodged this bullet.

AceGoober likes this.
  39. Crystoff

Crystoff [H]Lite

And for the fellow whose 2080ti board caught fire and is worried about an RMA: I'd think EVGA would be sending a courier to his house ASAP to get it for analysis, and dropping off a replacement while there. And a refund.

40. aokman

aokman Gawd

Everyone was watercooling just the gpu before waterblocks arrived. Everything else was passively cooled and this was overclocked TI cards with shunt mods.