NVIDIA Marketing Manager Killed In Train Accident

I never understood how people get hit by trains other than being totally oblivious to the mountain of steel that is bearing down on them.

These are fundamentals that we are taught at an early age, "Don't run in the street". "Look both ways before crossing the road" "Don't play on the railroad tracks" and so on....

Maybe it was one of those sneaky trains that lurks in the back of the closet, waiting to pounce. Seriously, though, for two people to be hit, either it was a murder suicide, or they were monumentally stupid.

Rest in peace Phil. My condolences go out to the family.

I find it disturbing and vindictive how everyone assumed to worst and blamed the guy's intelligence/carelessness.

It wasn't until we clarified the circumstances that people started actually treating this like a condolence thread.

Obviously, I never knew the guy, but if he died saving someone else, the guys a hero. Hopefully a few actions are taken at the track so something like this doesn't happen again.

Heroic, but what's the other person doing in the tracks? Root cause.

Maybe it was one of those sneaky trains that lurks in the back of the closet, waiting to pounce. Seriously, though, for two people to be hit, either it was a murder suicide, or they were monumentally stupid.

what kinds of an asshat says something like this?

Saving other people is not built into our DNA. Flight or Fight is indeed the norm and no one will ever know until that moment happens.

You can be the biggest baddest man on the planet but until you are in a situation where you could potentially die you'll never really know of your a coward or a warrior.

There is only one instance that I know I where the ratio favors more towards fight and that's when your immediate family is involved and even then there are some that just can't do anything, they lock up.

slider3.jpg

I find it disturbing and vindictive how everyone assumed to worst and blamed the guy's intelligence/carelessness.
Its usually not hard to avoid trains, they don't exactly come out of nowhere in random directions, and most of us are not so altruistic that we'd jump onto the tracks to save another person.

Guy is definitely a hero, and its special because its not a normal thing that most of us would do or even be the first thing we think of in such an accident.

You can be the biggest baddest man on the planet but until you are in a situation where you could potentially die you'll never really know of your a coward or a warrior.
I already know, if I'm going to potentially die you'll get nothing more than a "bro, trains comin" as I take two steps back. Youtube videos show that's quite normal, and most of us enjoy helping others, but not at the risk of our own lives. That takes someone special... a real shame.

Phil was a great guy! I've been to every GeForce LAN and a couple PDXLANs and he always made me and my friends feel welcome and always had time to talk. I really feel for his family and all the folks he worked with, he will be missed!

Rest in Peace Phil!

Saving other people is not built into our DNA. Flight or Fight is indeed the norm and no one will ever know until that moment happens.

There is only one instance that I know I where the ratio favors more towards fight and that's when your immediate family is involved and even then there are some that just can't do anything, they lock up.

Indeedy.

The jokes in this thread are really terrible. And not in the "too far" kind of way, either

Just saw the news today about Phil. I wanted to just send my deepest condolences to his family, friends, and those at Nvidia. Phil was a great person and friend. To hear that he lost his life trying to save another is definitely in his character. He will be truly missed.

- Ton

Hopefully. Different personality types have different fight or flight responses.

Even if it was instinct, it doesn't detract one bit from acting to save another life. You credit the man, not his lizard brain.

Damn straight. The difference is not the stuff he's made from, but that he chose to go into harm's way. He could have chose to do nothing instead. That's what differentiates a hero from the average person - he knew the risks and acted anyway.

The jokes in this thread are really terrible. And not in the "too far" kind of way, either

Don't worry people will end up getting infractions because making bad jokes is only accepted here if it's against Steve Jobs, anyone from MS, anyone involved with Facebook, and/or anyone else that Kyle doesn't favor.

Still sad to see him go. They should dedicate a special edition 760GTX for him..

Damn, that sucks! I knew Phil from years ago and he was a good guy.

Once I needed a firmware update for a reference card and he got me in touch with the right engineer who compiled one for me. He was kind, fun, helpful.

:(

Hi guys,

Phil was a friend of mine.

To clarify the article: he was saving someone who fell into the tracks. That person he saved survived and he was killed doing a selfless act.

THIS.

Here's a better article...
Scholz's death left friends and co-workers stunned -- shocked to lose a well-loved and respected companion but not surprised to hear he died trying to save someone else. He helped people. That is what he did, they said, even to the extent of risking his life for someone he'd never met.

"That's totally Phil, putting someone else before himself," said Matt Conwell of Portland, Ore., who met Scholz 12 years ago in a professional capacity but became fast friends. "That's the way he was. I can only hope to live life like he did."

Nvidia co-founder Chris Malachowsky said the act "completely resonates with something consistent with the guy."

"He was confident, aggressive, capable, I could see that without a moment's hesitation, he's going to act," Malachowsky said. "I'm sure his knee-jerk, no hesitation to help someone else is what caused this -- he goes down as a hero in my book."

Reeling from her sudden loss, Emily Scholz said she's not concerned with what investigators find out about why the man was on the tracks.

"It just doesn't matter at this point," she said in a tearful phone interview, instead reflecting on Philip's final act. "I just want people to know that he wasn't doing something stupid, or that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He wasn't in some kind of argument.

"He was doing the right thing when it happened."

I've met him a few times and have got nothing but laughs and a huge smile from him. A great man he was. He is a hero.

Back