NVIDIA Marketing Manager Killed In Train Accident

HardOCP News

[H] News
Phil Scholz, a senior marketing manager at NVIDIA, died after being struck by a train on Monday. Our condolences go our to Phil's family and loved ones.

The Santa Clara Coroner’s office confirmed to Game Front that Scholz was the victim killed in the accident, and according to a report from SF Gate, a second victim was also struck, and survived after being hospitalized for surgery. The accident took place at about 5:30 p.m. at the Santa Clara University-adjacent Santa Clara Caltrain station.

AMDs out to get us! Please AMD, I'll never buy an nVidia product again! I promise!

I never understood how people get hit by trains other than being totally oblivious to the mountain of steel that is bearing down on them.

These are fundamentals that we are taught at an early age, "Don't run in the street". "Look both ways before crossing the road" "Don't play on the railroad tracks" and so on....

how the fuck do people get hit by trains? they shake the ground any time they are coming.. plus they are loud as shit

I never understood how people get hit by trains other than being totally oblivious to the mountain of steel that is bearing down on them.

These are fundamentals that we are taught at an early age, "Don't run in the street". "Look both ways before crossing the road" "Don't play on the railroad tracks" and so on....

I have always shared the same thought. Short of "falling onto the tracks", actively messing around on the train tracks, or a premeditated suicide, I just can't see how someone could be hit by a train. I walk across train tracks every day to get to work. I'll be looking twice today :p

Condolences to his family and friends.

Seriously though, I agree with everyone else here. How in the world does anyone ever get hit by a train? Even if one were to be dumb and play on tracks for a long period of time, trains are huge, loud, cause the ground to vibrate, etc. I would have to think you'd have plenty of advance warning to get out of the way. Don't even get me starting on the clowns that try to go through a flashing crossing in their cars.

Hi guys,

Phil was a friend of mine.

To clarify the article: he was saving someone who fell into the tracks. That person he saved survived and he was killed doing a selfless act.

Hi guys,

To clarify the article: he was saving someone who fell into the tracks. That person he saved survived and he was killed doing a selfless act.

If that is the case, the dude is a damn hero. Sorry for your loss, man.

But yea, condolences to a good guy from what I read. Superhero's don't need skimpy costumes and a cape.

Hi guys,

Ouch. :( Sometimes being a hero means bad timing when you're doing good works for others.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the clarification before the thread got out of control with speculation.

RIP.

Hi guys,

Thank you for clarifying.

I guess it is true what they say, "only the good die young".

If I had to go before my time, I would hope that it would be in the process of trying to save others.

I am sorry for your loss.

Hi guys,

There is no greater love than a man lay down his life for another. Such sacrifices should never be forgotten. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Phil was also a friend of mine (he is the person who brought me into the NVIDIA family as a consultant/contractor/friend). He died the way he lived . . .helping others. Such a loss for the gaming community over-all especially PDXLAN. We knew him as Uncle Phil.

Hi guys,

Well damn. Good ones leave this earth too soon. Glad to see the human spirit at work trying to help someone in need. That leaves more of a lasting impression on me than accolades for materialistic things. Rest in peace young man.

Hi guys,

Sorry for your loss.

Sad news, indeed.

Phil,
Your sacrifice to save another puts a smile in my heart. Thank you for reminding us that this kind of good does exist in the world.

Now we'll see if the media actually gives this incident any attention, and accurately.

Hear what you want to hear™

Hi guys,

Wow, that's at least makes it a little better knowing that he died saving someone else. Gives a little hope to humanity.

A few days ago there was an article about an 8 year old boy who saved 6 people in a fire and died trying to save a 7th (his grandpa).

Rest in peace Phil. My condolences go out to the family.

I find it disturbing and vindictive how everyone assumed to worst and blamed the guy's intelligence/carelessness.

It wasn't until we clarified the circumstances that people started actually treating this like a condolence thread.

Obviously, I never knew the guy, but if he died saving someone else, the guys a hero. Hopefully a few actions are taken at the track so something like this doesn't happen again.

Hi guys,

Wow, That's about the only good reason to be on a train track :eek: RIP too bad he didn't make it :(

Rest in peace Phil. My condolences go out to the family.

I find it disturbing and vindictive how everyone assumed to worst and blamed the guy's intelligence/carelessness.

It wasn't until we clarified the circumstances that people started actually treating this like a condolence thread.

Obviously, I never knew the guy, but if he died saving someone else, the guys a hero. Hopefully a few actions are taken at the track so something like this doesn't happen again.

You are 100% right, and I feel a bit like a dick after my first comment, but generally these situations aren't a rescue gone wrong kind of thing. We had someone here at work who's son got hit by a train.. he was just walking on the tracks and got nailed. It's terrible, but that's how the majority of people get hit, which is completely avoidable, instead of what this guy was doing. Hats off to him for doing what most of us wouldn't

Sad to hear he died.

As a person who has lived in a train centric small town of about 20,000 people, there is at least one person injured every year by a train. It is always the same story of a person who is intoxicated and can't wait for a slow moving train to pass through. They try to go under, climb through, etc and end up getting hurt or killed.

Hi guys,

Sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you, his family and his friends.

Phil was also a friend of mine (he is the person who brought me into the NVIDIA family as a consultant/contractor/friend). He died the way he lived . . .helping others. Such a loss for the gaming community over-all especially PDXLAN. We knew him as Uncle Phil.

Uncle_Phil.jpg

Guy is a hero. I don't know if I would have been able to do the same in his shoes. Some people are just cut from different cloth.

Guy is a hero. I don't know if I would have been able to do the same in his shoes. Some people are just cut from different cloth.

Sure you would, the act of saving another human from danger is embedded into our DNA.

Hi guys,

Far out - What a legend. Sorry for your loss.

Sure you would, the act of saving another human from danger is embedded into our DNA.

Hopefully. Different personality types have different fight or flight responses.

Even if it was instinct, it doesn't detract one bit from acting to save another life. You credit the man, not his lizard brain.

My condolences to Phil's family and everyone that had known him.

I use this train station everyday. To further explain what was said of the circumstances earlier, I'll describe the layout. A pedestrian underpass is used to get to the platform where the accident occurred; walking across the tracks is not necessary at this station.

Someone could fall on the tracks while waiting on the platform. You would think there's time to move out of the way of a coming train, but bullet trains on these tracks travel at 50-70 MPH. Hopefully they can ask the surviving victim what happened.

would this be the incorrect place to put this: ??

[yt]MK0hU0OYvCI#t=26[/yt]

in all seriousness, sad to see such a young guy, with so much potential taken at an early age.

Dies saving someone else.
Wow.
My condolences to his family and friends.
I only hope that whoever he saved realized what was given so they could live, feels the gravity of the act and does what they can to honor his memory.
Maybe a positive can come out of this in the long run.
God bless you Phil.

Back