NVIDIA Looks to Gag Journalists with Multi-Year Blanket NDAs

That's legalese, bud. Or do you believe that line literally means that only positive things can be said about Nvidia?

Context matters, and just cutting out that line standalone ignores the explanation of it that follows immediately after. Nowhere does it state "write positive stuff about our product or else". It just states you're not suppose to abuse the given confidential info before they allow it.
In an NDA referring to non product confidential information, that legalese means that confidential information must be positive. Guess what that confidential information covers? Embargoed reviews.

Jesus! WTF is happening at NVidia. WIth all the marketshare and midshare they have, why are they hell bent on ruining their reputation? I am not sure, I almost feel like Jensen is using hardline policies like the current white house lol.

Have you thought about putting more onto YouTube? You'd probably have a ton of followers. I get the sense that YouTube can be pretty lucrative if your videos get enough views. And if you're already reviewing the products anyway, it might not take too much additional effort to turn your reviews into videos also. I do prefer text reviews but AFAIK people can't ad-block YouTube.

People have been ad blocking on youtube for years. You can get the plugins for chrome from the webstore.

Have you thought about putting more onto YouTube? You'd probably have a ton of followers. I get the sense that YouTube can be pretty lucrative if your videos get enough views. And if you're already reviewing the products anyway, it might not take too much additional effort to turn your reviews into videos also. I do prefer text reviews but AFAIK people can't ad-block YouTube.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Confidential information Nvidia discloses to reviewers... This has been covered to death in the fifty million posts about this by many media outlets. I linked them above.

It's as Kyle commented in his reply to your message above.
The two big changes are the scope of definition (vague and loose in what it applies to; seemingly anything Nvidia says it does) and the length, five years.

For the purpose of reviewer, receiving hardware to review, why should they agree to an NDA that covers more than the information surrounding the facts - technology, specs, release information and performance results? This is all data that would be publicly disclosed upon official announcement, and one could assume the ability to freely discuss past that point.
Why does the NDA need to cover more than that, specifically everything Nvidia identifies as Confidential Information as relates to ANY product at hand OR policy, program or changes as related to Nvidia.
And, why would any entity choose to agree to those kind of terms, unless it was for fear of losing out to early review copies, which would hurt them where it counts? Or some other invisible force that can't quite be quantified.

For an actual journalist, it's a similar set of questions, however there's both an expectation of higher reporting, and a wider range of topics...such as this NDA, GPP, state of affairs, a 300K supposed surplus of chips being returned....all of which Nvidia could label as Confidential Information, and therefore anyone who signed the NDA would be unable to legally, publicly, discuss those rumors and stories.

That's how I read the NDA using common sense and logic.

I was thinking about a new job as a full time serial killer.

Just think, your truck gets to be your new office.

That would lead to some inventive tax write-offs!

I like the reviews on H as well, it would be nice i could read them without having to look past editoralized Frontpage articles like this one making me question if I'm on the right site. Kyle trashed Polaris for being trash at launch and at the time I stated his article was far too aggressive and only serves to cause problems with AMD, which it did. No surprises there. Nvidia aren't imposing favorable reviews, they're not breaking relationship with H because of product reviews, but because H content has been vehemently anti Nvidia and there's just no incentive for them to keep sending review samples. This is more than just Nidia now, Kyle is essentially calling out the entire media for being in bed with Nvidia, and there are people in this thread talking about how NV is just trying to hide the specs of their next Gen because it's going to disappoint... Nice audience we're attracting here eh? The brightest peas in the pod

I love the backhanded insult at the end there. That's sure to win you tons of praise on the forum.

Nvidia is having a problem. Someone in charge of their marketing is flexing their green muscles because they know they have the power to do it right now and they won't back track or second guess unless they are called out for crappy behavior.

You have a problem with that. So be it. But throwing around insults like that. It really shows how you regard this forum. I question you presence here other than to create issue and troll if that's how you feel.

Youtube has just slashed, well last year, they slashed the money paid to youtube stars.

Some of the top youtubers were all moaning about it because they went from phat money to bitching because they were losing phat money.

I dont know how lucrative it is now, but its not nearly as much cash as it was previously.

Plus, they also changed the terms of videos and swearing is frowned upon and can and does cost youtubers money, so thats Kyle fucked before he even starts.

Maybe kyle should choose liveleak instead, that way we will be able to watch him kill nvidia shit, as liveleak loves murder videos.

Youtube has just slashed, well last year, they slashed the money paid to youtube stars.

Some of the top youtubers were all moaning about it because they went from phat money to bitching because they were losing phat money.

I dont know how lucrative it is now, but its not nearly as much cash as it was previously.

Plus, they also changed the terms of videos and swearing is frowned upon and can and does cost youtubers money, so thats Kyle fucked before he even starts.

Maybe kyle should choose liveleak instead, that way we will be able to watch him kill nvidia shit, as liveleak loves murder videos.
Elric from Tech of Tomorrow swears like a sailor and I think he's doing just fine aside from the health issues he's been dealing with.

I WAS feeling like I was going to have a hard time accepting lower performance in a VEGA 64...I was leaning that way anyway due to Freesync support (and the support of Freesync on Samsung's new TVs!), but this absolutely seals the deal. I will never buy another Nvidia product again, I don't care HOW much they outperform the AMD product!

This part is 100% directed at Kyle lol:

Also NVIDIA doesn't need any NDA to cut off media that they don't like to work with for whatever reason. They can simply stop providing information or samples, it's not like NVIDIA has any obligation to work with everyone.

Public perception of NVIDIA has already taken a beating in the wake of the GPP controversy, and it's the duty of press to point out similar misadventures by the company, but maybe not based on misinterpretations of internal documents. We feel that Heise is overreacting and possibly looking to become a martyr, by just following the trend of bashing NVIDIA.

I do agree that Nvidia is not obligated to provide samples to anyone and if I were in charge of media relations over there, HardOCP would be on my permanent blacklist and I’d make sure AIBs also followed that directive because that’s part of protecting your business interests.

I say it nearly everytime but its true, this would never have happened if AMD was competitive. None of this crap Nvidia pulls would have happened because in a tight market with competition, you cant afford to piss people off.

Also NVIDIA doesn't need any NDA to cut off media that they don't like to work with for whatever reason. They can simply stop providing information or samples, it's not like NVIDIA has any obligation to work with everyone.

Public perception of NVIDIA has already taken a beating in the wake of the GPP controversy, and it's the duty of press to point out similar misadventures by the company, but maybe not based on misinterpretations of internal documents. We feel that Heise is overreacting and possibly looking to become a martyr, by just following the trend of bashing NVIDIA.

I do agree that Nvidia is not obligated to provide samples to anyone and if I were in charge of media relations over there, HardOCP would be on my permanent blacklist and I’d make sure AIBs also followed that directive because that’s part of protecting your business interests.

Yes we know you think Nvidia can do no wrong. It's Kyle's site and he is free to call it how he wants, I happen to agree with him that it's anti journalistic and others agree as well. Kyle knew the price he could face and published it anyway cause it was the right thing to do, to let the consuming public know that Nvidia was pushing a anti consumer plan through. It's sad that all you can see is your favorite company being assaulted rather then seeing just how bad this is for you and others. Nvidia could have cleared up the whole GPP thing by clarifying things and chose not to then and then killed the program as backlash grew. This NDA looks to try to keep sites from being able to report such things and that is all bad for us. I dont envy Kyle for doing what he did but I am glad he went forward with his story, many would be to afraid to do so due to the fear of a reprisal and Nvidia is known to be quite harsh. Hell he has pissed off AMD and others at times, sometimes the truth hurts.

I guess you just want an echo chamber here. Sad to see how a once fun site to visit has ended up.

so you think this site is no fun do ye? I can't think of one single website at the moment that I go to that is FUN to visit all of the time and it's getting more so as time marches on. I find there are quite a few rather intelligent folks here at [H] and if one has a need to be pampered then perhaps they need to go to a different website to get stroked (which is ok time to time, we all need hugs now and again)

In the early days of internet access most folks online were tech geeks, scientists, etc but as time marched on John and Jane Q. Public caught on and soon, disruptive types with an evil agenda started popping up in number.

There's a difference between stating one's opinion of disagreement compared to being disruptive to achieve an end goal

100% agree.

I am sorry that you feel blanket NDAs that could harm peoples' ability to practice journalism is overreacting.
What is the "trend of bashing NVIDIA?" NVIDIA is not getting criticized over anything that is has not brought to its own door.

I have been blacklisted by every major hardware company on the planet at some time or another. Nothing new to see there. NVIDIA uses its power over AIBs and forcing them to not sample us is a bit of a push into a gray area, but I knew that was a possibility when I exposed GPP to the world....something I would not have been able to do under NVIDIA's NDA.

Also, you might consider there is a distinct difference between a video card reviewer and a tech journalist. This NDA was issued to be specific to journalists.

Buying cards/chips/boards has been done for decades around here, and will continue to be done. Intel has had us cut off for 4 or 5 years. We still covered those too. You can even go back and find GOLD awards to companies that we were currently blacklisted by. Reviews and Journalism are two very different things.

EDIT: so to post sites who've signed the NDA and expect anyone to buy into the idea that after signing that NDA those sites would be willing to step up to say that sucks, really? That would already be NDA violation, so of course these sites are singing the NDA praises...
Holy crap, you are right!

(1) NDA says, NDA is confidential. (1. "Confidential Information" shall mean any and all technical and non-technical information disclosed [...] including but not limited to the terms of this Agreement)
(2) NDA says, Confidential Information can only be used for the benefit of NVidia

So all publications who have already signed the NDA are barred from talking negatively about it or any of its aspects. If they discuss the NDA itself, then this is permitted only in a way that "benefits NVidia".

I guess you just want an echo chamber here. Sad to see how a once fun site to visit has ended up.

What's sad is you thinking that the deletion of Ieldra's post was because he had a different opinion than Kyle. Especially since the reason for the deletion was given in the post you quoted.

Here are all the statements made so far, please feel free to let me know when Kyle starts insulting the editor at anandtech over Twitter while simultaneously chiding people for acting childish and claiming to have the moral high ground. And yes, I was paid by Nvidia to make these posts.

You being paid says all I need to know.

By all means carry on, reasonable people will be waiting on the other side when you come about.

I can find a lawyer that will say anything, any laywer worth their salt will ultimately say one thing once boiled down: maybe.

You being paid says all I need to know.

I can find a lawyer that will say anything, any laywer worth their salt will ultimately say one thing once boiled down: maybe.
Yeah, the lawyer said interpretation could be different with different people. So, maybe Nvidia needs to be a bit more specific or reword it somehow.
The lawyer said a lot of not to worry much on stuff. That is when you should take another look and think on it.

It's not hating Nvidia, it about them telling p

Yeah, the lawyer said interpretation could be different with different people. So, maybe Nvidia needs to be a bit more specific or reword it somehow.
The lawyer said a lot of not to worry much on stuff. That is when you should take another look and think on it.

Thats the problem, blanket, indefinite, and vague. It will be at Nvidia's discretion today and tomorrow what is classified as what, and their legal team is much larger than everyone else's and they have a document you signed.

This is bad, not good, no matter how the shills want to spin it.

BTW, the only one that has consistently not shilled around here is Kyle, he is loved and hated by both sides depending on the day. That's journalism. Suck it up princesses, or you know, roll over and take it up the ass from corporate and other elites.

By all means carry on, reasonable people will be waiting on the other side when you come about.

The admited inexperience with NDAs in this field as well as reasuring "maybes", "probablies" and "assumptions" from the lawyer really reassured me that there is nothing to see here. And the only thing Kyle said that he desputed was the ability to talk about the GPP. Everything else stands.

Last edited:
It's you're, and I think this post is very telling of precisely why I may as well try talking sense into my cat.

Arguing grammar, you have already lost.

Look, I know your position, I also know it's full of bias. Thus your opinion is worth as much as the dump I take in the morning.

I say it nearly everytime but its true, this would never have happened if AMD was competitive. None of this crap Nvidia pulls would have happened because in a tight market with competition, you cant afford to piss people off.

Which is complete bullshit.

12 page FUD campaign in 2001 because someone may make something better?

Cheating in 3Dmark03 because the ATI cards at the time were kicking the living shit out off GeForce 4?

Cheating in 3Dmark again because they had just bought Agea and wanted to make everything non Nvidia look bad?

Disabling PhysX if the drivers detected an ATI GPU in the system?

Price fixing?

There's even more than that but this was all when Nvidia was losing to ATI, or competition was stiff. It doesn't matter if AMD is competitive or not, in my opinion Nvidia is a bunch of shady assholes. Always have been, always will be.

Winning, losing these terms don't hold any meaning to me. All I know is that an actual lawyer has answered many of the concerns raised by people over this issue and you're upset and it's extremely entertaining to watch
And that lawyer stated that if a different lawyer were to answer the questions, his answers would probably differ than his.

Brought to by Carl's Jr.

And that lawyer stated that if a different lawyer were to answer the questions, his answers would probably differ than his.

Brought to by Carl's Jr.
Bog standard NDA, as stated by every media outlet out there and the aforementioned lawyer. I'm sorry reality doesn't satisfy your need for a scapegoat.

Bog standard NDA, as stated by every media outlet out there and the aforementioned lawyer. I'm sorry reality doesn't satisfy your need for a scapegoat.
So this is Nvidia's standard NDA since they started? So just now people are complaining?

If Nvidia's lawyers did the Q and A in the video, I would be impressed. They are the ones who's interpretation means something.

Sure Nvidia was doing shady stuff years ago, but you can’t deny that the lack of competition has made Nvidia worst. I feel like the level of crap they are trying recently is almost an attempt put the dagger in AMD. We need competition more than ever

Bog standard, hah they only say that after signing the NDA...
1fd57482-649a-4740-99ad-2e20933841a7.jpg

Steve Burke (GN) finally did a video on this with their lawyer. Fast forwarded to the GPP part:

And it makes a good story to say, there is no way to enforce that NDA, which is fine, but when it comes to defending that in a court of law, AND PAYING FOR IT, are two very different situations. How many times has Steve paid his lawyers a quarter of a million dollars to defend a baseless lawsuit. He is talking out his ass about all of that. Theory is great, real world legal system is a totally different story.

Did you sign it. Steve? Ah yeah.... I bet you did.

"Solely for the benefit of NVIDIA" - Laywer: I don't really know what that means. LOL

Sure it's a bog standard NDA for contractors and consultants... not journalists. How you're not banned is a mystery to me. Equally mysterious is nvidia's thinking - paying trolls isn't going to help. Neither is blacklisting reputable reviewers like Kyle. I'm not going to base a purchase on the word of some tarted up entertainer like Linustechtips or jayz2cents. I've probably forgotten more about enthusiast hardware than the two know combined. I trust the reviews from this site, and have made plenty of informed decisions based on their content.

Nvidia would never tell us the terrible things they are going to do....

Really.. you think that?

They would couch it in. "You might hear about this promo we are doing with our trusted supply chain vendors. It's to allow us greater insight into their environment and assist with their development. here are all the details you can see it isn't anything evil I promise. If you hear otherwise just dismiss it. Oh and this is covered by the NDA so you can't talk about it."

This lawyer probably told him to sign it so of course he will give his opinion on it to validate it.

Last edited:
Back