NVIDIA lauches the real Titan Xp

You know the speed difference is negligible and it costs twice as much? No one in their right mind would buy the Titan XP over a 1080ti.

You can't tell the difference between 62 and 65 Hz...

Maybe there was no 1080ti when you purchased the og Titan XP

Maybe there was no 1080ti when you purchased the og Titan XP

That doesn't make sense with the post I was responding to. He was saying the new Titan is a slap in the face to 1080ti users.... It's 5-10% faster and $1200 vs 700. It's not even in the same ballpark and the perf difference is neglible to users.

In a blind study you couldn't tell the difference... unless it involved a stack of $20s.

No no... It was my post. I was saying the new Xp is the twisting of the knife to people who purchased the og XP after getting stabbed in the back after 1080ti release.

There's always going to be something faster, in the future, that's released, no one should be surprised by this.

I just like the fact NVIDIA is continuing to release new cards despite there being no competition for them but themselves.

Even if you can't afford the price, it's nice to have the option of faster video cards on the table. I'd rather have the option, than not.

This...and the 1080Ti are why I stopped buying Titan cards. They are not worth it and Nvidia just craps on the buyers later on. I got burned on the first generation Titan...never again.

Some people like getting burned...

No no... It was my post. I was saying the new Xp is the twisting of the knife to people who purchased the og XP after getting stabbed in the back after 1080ti release.

why don't you set up a poll and ask those people if they feel that way ;)

All I have to say is:

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Those poor early adopters.

See, I don't look at it that way. Those early adopters have been enjoying the best performance possible all this time and having the best gameplay experience possible. They got what they paid for, how is that bad? That's the whole point.

There's always, always always going to be something faster on the wings, ready in the future.

See, I don't look at it that way. Those early adopters have been enjoying the best performance possible all this time and having the best gameplay experience possible. They got what they paid for, how is that bad? That's the whole point.

There's always, always always going to be something faster on the wings, ready in the future.

I bought two Titan X (Maxwell) cards when they first came out. I never felt burned by the 980Ti's introduction. I knew it was going to happen because I recall the cycle before that. I got to enjoy the performance 980Ti owners were getting for far longer than they did. It's not as though the 980Ti's introduction some how made my cards worse. Similarly, I don't feel burned by the existence of the Titan Xp. It costs a lot more for what's likely a minimal performance gain. I wouldn't have bought them even if they were available when I grabbed my 1080Ti's.

The name "Titan Xp" is fucking stupid. We've already had two Titan X's and people on the forums often referred to the Pascal Titan X (incorrectly in my opinion) as a "Titan XP" to only further the confusion.

I bought two Titan X (Maxwell) cards when they first came out. I never felt burned by the 980Ti's introduction. I knew it was going to happen because I recall the cycle before that. I got to enjoy the performance 980Ti owners were getting for far longer than they did. It's not as though the 980Ti's introduction some how made my cards worse. Similarly, I don't feel burned by the existence of the Titan Xp. It costs a lot more for what's likely a minimal performance gain. I wouldn't have bought them even if they were available when I grabbed my 1080Ti's.

The name "Titan Xp" is fucking stupid. We've already had two Titan X's and people on the forums often referred to the Pascal Titan X (incorrectly in my opinion) as a "Titan XP" to only further the confusion.
Same. I feel the same way about this release cycle. I somehow felt that Pascal was going to play out like Kepler Gen2, and it did. I also bought a GTX Titan X knowing full well a 980 Ti would be coming just a few months later.

I'm not bothered by the Xp naming scheme. I personally think it's hilarious, even though it doesn't necessarily make sense from a marketing perspective.

I'm not bothered by the Xp naming scheme. I personally think it's hilarious, even though it doesn't necessarily make sense from a marketing perspective.

I think Nvidia is trolling us with the Titan names.

feel the same way, I just want more memory lol, but I don't want to spend the extra to get a quadro, that is the only thing I'm disappointed with, the performance, well ok there is always something better in the future, no big deal there. Every year and half I upgrade anyways, so just the normal cycle.

I still don't get why anyone who bought a Titan X (Pascal) and/or a 1080 Ti would feel "Burned".

If you bought the Titan X (Pascal), you most likely did it at or near release, August 2016.

That means you enjoyed the performance premium for a solid 7 months before the 1080 Ti dethroned you. You also enjoyed a solid 8 months of premium performance over Titan Xp buyers, and are now a mere ~15% behind them. So why would you be jaded now? We are talking about GPU's here folks, not the Bicycle.

Enjoy what you have while you have it, it will soon be replaced.

Last edited:

The naming is wonky but people buying these things aren't confused. I think that should just go with a simple numerical sequence scheme, Titan I, Titan II, Titan III, etc. and yeah, use Roman numerals. I have to figure someone at NVidia has thought this but for whatever reason it didn't get adopted.

The naming is wonky but people buying these things aren't confused. I think that should just go with a simple numerical sequence scheme, Titan I, Titan II, Titan III, etc. and yeah, use Roman numerals. I have to figure someone at NVidia has thought this but for whatever reason it didn't get adopted.

I'd have liked to see the Roman numeral scheme or something like Titan Mark I, II, etc.

d1b89a25b60430dc5aec8bbbb952957ed5585a9c3cd63983bc68aca8296a7aa2.jpg

I can understand why they want to keep the Titan branding for their flagship GPU but at the same time it's confusing. They need a better way to differentiate them from one another.

I can understand why they want to keep the Titan branding for their flagship GPU but at the same time it's confusing. They need a better way to differentiate them from one another.

Titan is fine, like, Titan, then a Titan Ti, Titan black, or what ever, use it like the use GTX. So Geforce Titan XXXX what ever, nice and easy , the first to release is Titan, and updated versions have a moniker attached to them, monikers that are stable, so its easy for people to understand them. Granted people buying 1k cards are going to be pretty aware of what they are buying, but just makes it easier for reviewers and people like us, forum members to talk about them lol, branding has to make that easy to that's how things get stuck in peoples minds.

I still don't get why anyone who bought a Titan X (Pascal) and/or a 1080 Ti would feel "Burned".

If you bought the Titan X (Pascal), you most likely did it at or near release, August 2016.

That means you enjoyed the performance premium for a solid 7 months before the 1080 Ti dethroned you. You also enjoyed a solid 8 months of premium performance over Titan Xp buyers, and are now a mere ~15% behind them. So why would you be jaded now? We are talking about GPU's here folks, not the Bicycle.

Enjoy what you have while you have it, it will soon be replaced.

Yup, what I did - and I simply watercooled & overclocked my Titan X (Pascal) to the max from day one and have been enjoying a level of performance that even an overclocked 1080 Ti can't match. It does suck a bit though that Nvidia finally opted to release the Titan Xp now (full chip implementation - what they should really have done from day one) However, we are only talking about another 10% bump in performance, which isn't exactly mind blowing. I will be sitting out the Xp and enjoying what I have, awaiting the arrival of Volta. No regrets with my original purchase and the past 8 months of use - but it does suck for anyone that just purchased a Titan X (Pascal) recently. If Nvida were smart, they would offer some sort of trade-up program for original Titan X (Pascal) owners along the lines of EVGA's step-up program. Would probably get a lot of earlier adopters to bite that way.

My personal opinion is people should just avoid the Titan line altogether. I watched a video on it by JayzTwoCentz and am in complete agreement. Video below. As if 700 isn't already enough to spend on a GPU...

My personal opinion is people should just avoid the Titan line altogether. I watched a video on it by JayzTwoCentz and am in complete agreement. Video below. As if 700 isn't already enough to spend on a GPU...

Problem with Jay Z's stance, is is a person that is saving up money for a Titan, that isn't the card for them, these are depreciating products, anyone saving money to get something that is atrociously bad for perf/S, a product that wasn't ment for the average consumer. Everything he stated about the naming convention and what not yeah thats all screwed up right now.

Last edited:
Jen-Hsun: He, let's completely confuse the Titan market. Everyone already calls the current Titan X the Titan XP to differentiate it from the old Titan X...or the Titan XM. So we'll release the *actual* Titan Xp and fuck everything up!

The Titan Xp(p) - Titan X PEE PEE. What a genius!

Maybe I was naive, I came from a xfire 290x setup. VR doesn't play well with SLI/xfire and it was a pain to deal with support in games. So I was like instead of spending money on 2 cards let's just spend it all on 1 that's amazing. Only to end up here : / spending a lot for something better costing 1/2 the price.

Problem with Jay Z's stance, is is a person that is saving up money for a Titan, that isn't the card for them, these are depreciating products, anyone saving money to get something that is atrociously bad for perf/S, a product that wasn't ment for the average consumer. Everything he stated about the naming convention and what not yeah thats all screwed up right now.

Thanks for reminding us plebs of our place in the world.

Thanks for reminding us plebs of our place in the world.

Dude, if I was saving money up for a Titan X, man, I got better places to spend my money!, its like a guy getting 500k a year and wants to get a supercar, go for it, he can do it, but don't expect him to get one every 5 years, he won't be able to sustain that. Not only that what he buys now in one year will be old, there will be something faster.

its not about how much money you make, spend your money wisely, titan X is not a product for a person that needs to save up money for it, cause at the end he/she won't get the extra satisfaction of "having the top end" for more than 1 year. Just won't happen.

Correct. My advice to ANYONE ever considering purchasing a Titan card in the future: You are LITERALLY paying for "Early Access" to a Ti model card. You pay a 40% premium to get the Ti 4-6 months in advance. That's all you're getting. If you cannot accept that, do not buy a Titan card. They don't even come with game bundles, either, because they "aren't a gaming card" according to nVidia. It's the worst deal in the universe, but I digress as I have TWICE now fallen to the millenial vice called "instant gratification" that I couldn't wait for the Ti.

1/2" equals 1000 FS points apparently...

It's more like 1/4", my epeen is big enough right now, need to let it chill out a bit til Volta
Its like 7% faster clock for clock against the 1080Ti. Not worth it. It will probably be near 15% in some games because of the specs but I doubt anything significant.

Dude, if I was saving money up for a Titan X, man, I got better places to spend my money!, its like a guy getting 500k a year and wants to get a supercar, go for it, he can do it, but don't expect him to get one every 5 years, he won't be able to sustain that. Not only that what he buys now in one year will be old, there will be something faster.

its not about how much money you make, spend your money wisely, titan X is not a product for a person that needs to save up money for it, cause at the end he/she won't get the extra satisfaction of "having the top end" for more than 1 year. Just won't happen.

Woosh!

Jen-Hsun: He, let's completely confuse the Titan market. Everyone already calls the current Titan X the Titan XP to differentiate it from the old Titan X...or the Titan XM. So we'll release the *actual* Titan Xp and fuck everything up!
You should have listened to me

Maxwell Titan = Mitan
Pascal Titan = Pitan
Pascal Titan XP = Pitan X

I don't. I've never called it that. I differentiate them in my posts as Titan X (Maxwell) or Titan X (Pascal).

A guy making 500k a year probably can't afford the maintenance on a super car and he'll probably be buying said car on credit unless he lives well below his means and saves up for the car. There is a guy around here who has a McLaren MP4-12c and lives in a 200k house. It's a nice enough neighborhood and all but it's only roughly middle / upper middle class housing in DFW.

As far as the naming convention, what about calling them: Titan XP1 and Titan XP2?

LOL Milk them while you can. That is what is exactly happening here. How many of the early adopters get titan xp and and sell of their titan. I bet quiet a few, Seriously Nvidia really can do whatever they want. I guess they probably expect Vega to compete some what since they are milking as much as they can before Vega comes out lol.

Back