NVIDIA Kepler GeForce GTX 680 Video Card Review @ [H]ardOCP

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Last edited:
k1468h.gif

Last edited:
Wow! AMD is going to have to drop the 7970 to $200 for anyone to even bother with it. This is how you launch a new card. This is finally a next generation GPU.

I posted this in another thread, and I want to post it up front right now to head off any questions.

Just keep in mind, as Kyle as already stated, we put a lot of work into it for what's there, and we have tons more planned in separate articles to flesh out specific features and testing so they get more attention and better focus from us. We can often do more in separate articles, rather than cramming it all into one big article at launch. Much much more to come.

We will look at SLI performance in its own article. I will then look at GPU Boost/Overclocking and Adaptive VSYNC in its own article. We will cover these things in more detail, just give us the time to properly look at them.

Wow, smackdown laid. Really didn't expect it to keep up at Eyefinity resolutions. Very impressive.

Nice Brent... Also AMD Take notice!! Not only did they pull one of your tactics on you they also have updated WHQL drivers on release day!!

Soo ummm where are these to buy yet?? Have to wait until 9am PST ???

Impressed. Now let's wait a few days for the Overclocking and SLI/Crossfire Reviews.

HELL YEAH!!!.. time to have a cig, turn the music on and start reading for the next 20 minutes, thanks Brent AND Kyle. also thanks for giving me an excuse to stay up til 6 am again, was actually going to go to sleep early tonight for once but that disappeared pretty quickly.

Wow! AMD is going to have to drop the 7970 to $200 for anyone to even bother with it. This is how you launch a new card. This is finally a next generation GPU.

Over exaggeration, they will need to lower it to about $400, the 7950 to about $350. Exactly the price range/bang for the buck envelope that they have always taken up. Just wondering how quickly that will happen. If it is quick, then I might still look at the 7970 or 7950 for my machine I am building. Otherwise I will probably target the 680.

Very nice, makes me wonder how much of a monster GK110 is.

So I guess Charlie was wrong about the GTX 680 being faster in certain hand picked games.

Over exaggeration, they will need to lower it to about $400, the 7950 to about $350. Exactly the price range/bang for the buck envelope that they have always taken up. Just wondering how quickly that will happen. If it is quick, then I might still look at the 7970 or 7950 for my machine I am building. Otherwise I will probably target the 680.

Not a chance in hell AMD drops their $550-570 card to $400 3 months after release. I'll eat my mouse if that happens, they're gonna just have to suck it up for a while until they feel it's feasible to drop their prices. I'd be pissed if I were a 7970 owner and they dropped the price by $150 3 months after buying the card

Man, that card just rocks... I'll definitely swap my 570 for that one. Max AA/AF in 1080p and it won't choke. Way to go Nvidia, way to go :)

That's where I'm at at the moment: waiting to see what AMD does pricing-wise. If they don't drop in price by a fairly considerable amount, I'm going nVidia for the first time in almost seven years.

If AMD Price drops the 7970's to about $450-$475 they will make it a much tighter ballgame. The real test comes in overlocking and how Nvidia's new boost works with that.

I'm sure a 670/660 etc. will cover those ranges. Considering all the advantages of this new chip over the 7xxx series I think a steep discount will be the only way to make up the difference.

Very nice card :D But I needed a new gpu 2 months ago so what are you going to do ;) Im still quite happy with my 7970. Although maybe the GK110 will be something interesting.

Damn nVidia, you make nice stuff but the wait is killer, I'm too impatient.

That's where I'm at at the moment: waiting to see what AMD does pricing-wise. If they don't drop in price by a fairly considerable amount, I'm going nVidia for the first time in almost seven years.

I'm actually hoping the 7870 cards see a price drop in the near future, two of those cards in crossfire would be awesome at the right price (right now they're $359, which IMO is too expensive for that card at it's current performance)

And as a side note at the bottom of the article, Nvidia's launch drivers are spotless. No problems have been had yet. lol knife twist...

Great card, NV Surround works right out of box, no issues yet it seems, stable drivers, efficient, cheaper.... Fat girl has sung, "put her down Amo, she sucking mud!"

Was gonna wait for the GTX670, but at this performance and price point, screw it.

Great Article Guys! Well done as usual, no fluff or BS there.

Holy Mary mother of God....

Lets see..it is

1. Faster
2. Smooth
3. More power efficient
4. Better detail

for the same baseline price as a 7970. That is what you call "fuck yeah". Thanks nVidia for stepping up. It is a win for consumers all around.

Nice writeup....and I'm pretty happy with price point of this card

Very nice. These things are pretty beast.

Going to keep my 6990+6970 for now though....

Excellent write up, can't wait for the overclocking review(s) :D

Looks good, is there any tearing at the triple display resolutions?

I knew someone was going to ask that question, and I had planned to look at that, then got too busy and it slipped my mind. I'll look at it for the SLI article and report there if I see window tearing across displays of different ports.

Great for those upgrading for single displays.

Those that have a 7970 with 3 monitors have no rush to do so, unless a few FPS matter on a few games.

Good for competition, now maybe AMD will drop their price on a few cards.

Back