Nvidia / Jensen trying to kill off the AMD FreeSync Branding? The F-ing #%$@ Suckers!

Yes, it has been announced that they support "FreeSync". But how is a consumer supposed to know that "G-Sync Compatible" is synonymous with "FreeSync", and not that it is "G-Sync" which is nvidia-only?

They announced support for Adaptative Sync. They have never used the term "Freesync" because they can't as AMD owns that trademark. That name is dumb and can be confusing, but since the majority of G-Sync Compatible monitors seem to list both that and Freesync in etail listings there is s much lower chance of confusion.

They announced support for Adaptative Sync. They have never used the term "Freesync" because they can't as AMD owns that trademark. That name is dumb and can be confusing, but since the majority of G-Sync Compatible monitors seem to list both that and Freesync in etail listings there is s much lower chance of confusion.

Only AMD can use "Freesync"?!?!
The F-ing #%$@ Suckers!

I'm still waiting for a good reason that this is "anti competitive".

Anti Competitive seems to have been watered down to mean, "It's unfair that Nvidia is able to take advantage of AMD's inability to market their own products and technologies".

They were able to manage to market their own products and technologies. I suppose you mean it is unfair that Nvidia is able to pay to take advantage of AMD's inability to pony up the same amount or more on already established brands and technologies, right?

They were able to manage to market their own products and technologies. I suppose you mean it is unfair that Nvidia is able to pay to take advantage of AMD's inability to pony up the same amount or more on already established brands and technologies, right?

Not sure what you are arguing about, I've already shown the accusations in the video are false.

I'm still waiting for a good reason that this is "anti competitive".

Anti Competitive seems to have been watered down to mean, "It's unfair that Nvidia is able to take advantage of AMD's inability to market their own products and technologies".

If (and its a big if) Nvidia is using backroom deals to force/convince manufacturers to remove Freesync branding from their monitors in order to increase customer confusion and hurt AMD, that is entirely anti-competitive. However, if that were happening I'd expect AMD to find ways to "leak" that information to the tech press so it gets spread around and widely reported, like they did for GPP.

Because they were very specifically Freesync Technology monitors. Otherwise, it is a clearly anti competitive move, by unsurprisingly, by Nvidia. No emotion there, just simple, obvious facts as they are. If they want to have their branding on monitors, they need to have their own monitors or just have it added as another tech, not replacing what already clearly existed. This is simply GPP for monitors with the same Nvidia folks claiming the same arguments.

Straight up, this hurts PC gaming as a whole so do not come crying to me when things are not as good as they could be.

This doesn't make any sense. Why are these monitor manufacturers not allowed to change the branding on their products?

And why would they remove the Freesync technology from the monitors when that is the very technology enabling the monitor to meet the "G-Sync Compatible" branding standards in the first place?

Yes, it has been announced that they support "FreeSync". But how is a consumer supposed to know that "G-Sync Compatible" is synonymous with "FreeSync", and not that it is "G-Sync" which is nvidia-only?

Who cares if they know the difference or not? If anyone has a reason to care, it would be Nvidia since it makes real, hardware backed Gsync look less valuable. Those who *do* care are probably looking at Freesync 2 and Gsync 2, both of which cost more due to the more ridged standard, or in the case of Freesync any standard.

Sure it might result in less monitors sold, but companies like Asus that make both monitors and cards might be pressured by nvidia to do this. The fact that Asus brought AMD cards back to their ROG line immediately after GPP was cancelled is clear evidence of this kind of coercion occurring in the past.

Again, this seems like more of an Nvidia problem than AMD. And Nvidia doesn't seem to be having any trouble selling GPUs, and AMD doesn't make any money from the Freesync standard seeing as they released it to be used by anybody who wanted to implement it.

Last edited:
Sorry man but, you did not prove a thing in that post, other than finding things to support your point of view. I checked the monitors in the video and sure enough, the product placement where they were being sold was completely scrubbed of any mentioning of Freesync on monitors that were clearly Freesync marketed, previously. Therefore, you are not correct.

So you continue to believe what supports your point of view. I do not doubt that a few items on Amazon can have missing/incorrect specs. I checked 4 different ones (chosen randomly, 1 from the first couple of manufacturers to try and get wider view) and they all mentioned freesync.

What I suspect is the case, is that ONLY those monitors mentioned in the video, conform to his theory. So much ado about nothing.

Believe what you want.

So you continue to believe what supports your point of view. I do not doubt that a few items on Amazon can have missing/incorrect specs. I checked 4 different ones (chosen randomly, 1 from the first couple of manufacturers to try and get wider view) and they all mentioned freesync.

What I suspect is the case, is that ONLY those monitors mentioned in the video, conform to his theory. So much ado about nothing.

Believe what you want.

It's not much ado about nothing, it's much ado about potentially something.
Which was the message I took from AdoredTV's YT video bringing light to what could be GPP2.

Is it? Not enough information, and not enough brands have made similar changes to support this opinion.
Is it not? Too many coincidences to flat out say no, but not enough brands have made similar changes to support this opinion.

Us little folk don't have crystal balls to know if these actions are coordinated at Nvidia's behest with delivery of $$$, or just an oddly timed coincidences by various vendors trying to maximize their install base.

Should we light up the torches yet? No, but with Nvidia's history I believe they should be soaking in gasoline.

I'm neither going to attack you for defending Nvidia or downplaying these changes, nor am I going to defend those already drafting lawsuits against Nvidia for being anti-competitive.

Like any sane person, I'll wait and let the facts (or nothing) come out, and go from there.

As should we all. :)

Who knows if they updated the listings after backlash...
Some have done what ignoredTV said and others have not. Surely that warrants attention none the less? Especially with Nvidia history..
At this point some of you are arguing semantics.

That seems unlikely, as the only "backlash" are theories in 1 youtube video (that I know of) and this thread. Have any other news sites actually done any digging?

...Too many coincidences to flat out say no, but not enough brands have made similar changes to support this opinion.

Agreed, moreso with the second half of the statement. Is this something said in the youtube video, or your own thoughts? I would be pleasantly shocked if this was how Adored framed it.

...Like any sane person, I'll wait and let the facts (or nothing) come out, and go from there.

As should we all. :)

Same.

I work at a company that produces displays. I spoke with our display engineers and they have a particular disdain for Nvidia. Their certification program is a joke. They receive little specification to tune to up front (engineer showed me a postit of the info they have received from Nvidia), send the hardware off for verification, and receive ONLY a pass or fail. So if you have a failure, Nvidia doesn't tell you why or what.

None of this surprises me.

I work at a company that produces displays. I spoke with our display engineers and they have a particular disdain for Nvidia. Their certification program is a joke. They receive little specification to tune to up front (engineer showed me a postit of the info they have received from Nvidia), send the hardware off for verification, and receive ONLY a pass or fail. So if you have a failure, Nvidia doesn't tell you why or what.

None of this surprises me.

What company?

Are the monitors locked in any way in detecting nvidia graphics cards? Issues discussed aside it would be an easy way for someone in the now to buy a nice freesync monitor, just buy the g-sync combatible one and use it with your amd card..

Are the monitors locked in any way in detecting nvidia graphics cards? Issues discussed aside it would be an easy way for someone in the now to buy a nice freesync monitor, just buy the g-sync combatible one and use it with your amd card..

That isn't how it works. The GPU and driver needs support for GSync/Freesync. Not the other way around.

Back