Nvidia / Jensen trying to kill off the AMD FreeSync Branding? The F-ing #%$@ Suckers!

Just another reason I really hate Nvidia and that Jensen POS!

So since Nvidia is now supporting FreeSync / Adaptive Sync, they have begun pushing and succeeding at getting monitor manufactures that previously had "AMD FreeSync Technology" branding or wording on the product web page and e-tailors sites (maybe even packaging) to completely remove it and add "G-SYNC Compatible"

What a bunch of dirty bastards! What will AMD do about it? eh, probably nothing...

It seems to me that are monitor manufacturer who are using the larger nvidia user base and more known name to increase sales on their products.

Its an easy way to boost sales of an already made product.. it's a bit cynical? Maybe.. but it may work to boost sales of the monitors by using references to nvidia instead of AMD.

It seems to me that are monitor manufacturer who are using the larger nvidia user base and more known name to increase sales on their products.

Its an easy way to boost sales of an already made product.. it's a bit cynical? Maybe.. but it may work to boost sales of the monitors by using references to nvidia instead of AMD.

The only issue with that logic is that it probably wouldn't impact sales negatively to just include both.

It works both ways, ya know? Keep your substandard Ghetto-sync technology away from a well established G-Sync branding.

G-Sync Compatible != G-Sync

The whole 'G-Sync Compatible' thing has been muddying the waters since day one. I wished Nvidia had come up with a better name. I would have gladly accepted 'Ghetto-sync', but marketing thought otherwise. :p

The big problem with all this is that you don't really know what you're buying and what will work on what, and how it will work. I suppose this is what Nvidia wants, but AMD should react to that. Isn't a mandatory advertising for G-Sync in exchange for retrieving the advertising for Freesync illegal ??? I bet it is, but as usual, the complex globalized market permits any detour to avoid the laws of lawful competition in any state at the moment of the sale. So Nvidia should be remembered for trying to abuse customers again.

I have no issue with adding the "G-Sync compatible" branding to various monitors. It could help to make clear that this is not / no longer something that only works with AMD cards. Keep in mind that FreeSync branding is almost always shown as "AMD’s Radeon FreeSync™ 2" or similar, basically trying to use the feature to directly associate the freesync tech with AMD and Radeon. For a novice user, that sounds like AMD-specific technology that might leave you wondering what happens if you have an Nvidia card. I would like to see monitors include both terms. If Nvidia is actually pressuring monitor manufacturers to not only add the "G-Sync compatible" branding, but ALSO remove FreeSync branding, then yeah I would have a problem with that.

The whole 'G-Sync Compatible' thing has been muddying the waters since day one. I wished Nvidia had come up with a better name. I would have gladly accepted 'Ghetto-sync', but marketing thought otherwise. :p

Yeah, because everyone loves paying $100+ extra for a monitor so it can have a proprietary Nvidia hardware module in it that basically locks you into the Nvidia ecosystem for the life of your monitor. I run a 32" Freesync 2 monitor and the technology is fantastic, works great with my RTX 2080. No regrets about not paying $100 extra.

Last edited:
I have no issue with adding the "G-Sync compatible" branding to various monitors. It could help to make clear that this is not / no longer something that only works with AMD cards. Keep in mind that FreeSync branding is almost always shown as "AMD’s Radeon FreeSync™ 2" or similar, basically trying to use the feature to directly associate the freesync tech with AMD and Radeon. For a novice user, that sounds like AMD-specific technology that might leave you wondering what happens if you have an Nvidia card. I would like to see monitors include both terms. If Nvidia is actually pressuring monitor manufacturers to not only add the "G-Sync compatible" branding, but ALSO remove FreeSync branding, then yeah I would have a problem with that.
FreeSync is AMD-specific, though. Adaptive Sync is hardware agnostic.

Basically, Nvidia has an unwritten rule: if you want to use Gsync in any way, you CAN'T have Freesync.

This is why there weren't any Gsync monitors that also supported Freesync, even though it could easily be done.

Basically, if you want to have 'Gsync compatible' as part of your monitor's branding, you have to ditch any mention of Freesync.

FreeSync is AMD-specific, though. Adaptive Sync is hardware agnostic.

I meant AMD-specific in the context of a technology that works with AMD but does not work with Nvidia. Almost all FreeSync 2 monitors work great as "G-Sync Compatible" monitors, even if they aren't Nvidia certified, and even if they don't mention anything about "Adaptive Sync".

I certainly would not be opposed to monitor manufacturers ditching both the "FreeSync" and "G-Sync Compatible" branding and simply using something standard like "Adaptive Sync" to describe both.

Yeah, because everyone loves paying $100+ extra for a monitor so it can have a proprietary Nvidia hardware module in it that basically locks you into the Nvidia ecosystem for the life of your monitor. I run a 32" Freesync 2 monitor and the technology is fantastic, works great with my RTX 2080. No regrets about not paying $100 extra.

3 of the examples shown in the video choosen randomly:

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VG278Q/specifications/

https://zowie.benq.com/en/product/monitor/xl/xl2740.html#specification

https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/g2590fx/specs

all state freesync and gsync support.

others on the acer page just state adaptive sync just like this one

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.JX1AA.004

so again.. it just seems to me that are just manufacturing using the more known nvidia brand name to boost their saes..

KazeoHin I think you are wrong pal.. every manufacturer site state support for gsync and freesync other just state adaptive sync support.. no conspiracy theory this time.

so again.. it just seems to me that are just manufacturing using the more known nvidia brand name to boost their saes..

KazeoHin I think you are wrong pal.. every manufacturer site state support for gsync and freesync other just state adaptive sync support.. no conspiracy theory this time.

They mention Freesync support in text only, the actual branding has been removed.

This is hardly surprising. That nvidia would do this, that people called it, or that AMD seems to as usual do nothing about it. Even the hate towards adoredtv is hardly surprising, haters gotta blindly hate even when the guy is right.

The BenQ doesn't have branding for either. It simply mentions G-Sync Compatible and Freesync in the specs. The Newegg product page title for the BenQ lists both brandings.
Looking at Newegg as the seller, I still do see most Freesync/G-Sync compatible monitors still list both but it does seem like Asus omit Freesync in its listing name and using Gsync compatible branding. I cannot draw any meaningful conclusion until some time has pass. I do wonder how much AMD and Nvidia pays each vendor to advertise their respective adaptive sync tech.

Looking at Newegg as the seller, I still do see most Freesync/G-Sync compatible monitors still list both but it does seem like Asus omit Freesync in its listing name and using Gsync compatible branding. I cannot draw any meaningful conclusion until some time has pass. I do wonder how much AMD and Nvidia pays each vendor to advertise their respective adaptive sync tech.

As far as I know, nothing. Anyone can use the Freesync branding as long as their monitor supports some kind of adaptive sync, even if its crap support. Both Nvidia and AMD charge for more advanced testing (G-Sync and Freesync 2). Full G-Sync testing costs money and I presume Freesync 2 testing would as well. G-Sync Compatible testing may or may not cost money, nothing has been revealed as far as that goes. Manufacturers don't really need to be paid to use the brands since the brand names help sell the monitors.

As far as I know, nothing. Anyone can use the Freesync branding as long as their monitor supports some kind of adaptive sync, even if its crap support. Both Nvidia and AMD charge for more advanced testing (G-Sync and Freesync 2). Full G-Sync testing costs money and I presume Freesync 2 testing would as well. G-Sync Compatible testing may or may not cost money, nothing has been revealed as far as that goes. Manufacturers don't really need to be paid to use the brands since the brand names help sell the monitors.

To add what Derangel said I believe they changed the old Gysnc to “Gsync ultimate” which I took that’s what Kazeohin was talking about. I am no monitor guru but I’ve never seen gsync ultimate and freesync in the same monitor.

AFAIK Freesync doesn’t use HDR?

From nVidia’s site:

5411A4C7-289C-4E84-9297-119C2505AECB.jpeg

To add what Derangel said I believe they changed the old Gysnc to “Gsync ultimate” which I took that’s what Kazeohin was talking about. I am no monitor guru but I’ve never seen gsync ultimate and freesync in the same monitor.

AFAIK Freesync doesn’t use HDR?

From nVidia’s site:

View attachment 193239

The regular old G-Sync is still around. G-Sync Ultimate is their standard for 4K HDR monitors. As with traditional G-Sync, it requires an add-in board for support. This likely precludes it from supporting traditional A-sync.

While this does seem a bit petty, you can't fault a company for pushing its branding. Considering that AMD would do the same thing if they could it's a bit silly to gripe about.

Reactions: Auer
like this

So since Nvidia is now supporting FreeSync / Adaptive Sync, they have begun pushing and succeeding at getting monitor manufactures that previously had "AMD FreeSync Technology" branding or wording on the product web page and e-tailors sites (maybe even packaging) to completely remove it and add "G-SYNC Compatible"

What a bunch of dirty bastards! What will AMD do about it? eh, probably nothing...

Correlation is not causation. A manufacturer trying to appeal to the much larger Nvidia install base because their monitor supports
VRR with Nvidia GPUs, doesn't mean Nvidia called them all up and said "Remove any Freesync mentions, OR ELSE!"

Last edited:
While this does seem a bit petty, you can't fault a company for pushing its branding. Considering that AMD would do the same thing if they could it's a bit silly to gripe about.

Amd would if they could but didn’t. Sure. This is so NVish. I hate this marketing bullshit.

Basically, Nvidia has an unwritten rule: if you want to use Gsync in any way, you CAN'T have Freesync.

This is why there weren't any Gsync monitors that also supported Freesync, even though it could easily be done.

Basically, if you want to have 'Gsync compatible' as part of your monitor's branding, you have to ditch any mention of Freesync.

Have a link or something to back this up? Or just conspiracy theory?

Have a link or something to back this up? Or just conspiracy theory?

Oh really? Do you have any evidence that it has occurred from AMD? Also, did you watch the video? That is not conspiracy anymore than GPP was a conspiracy.

Did you read the thread? Seems like its not the case across the board.

Nah, I watched the video instead. Seems that it is inline with the monitors that were already Freesync enabled but they had those references removed to favor their own.

In other words you watched the video and blindly believed it because it fits your narrative.

How the heck is having the evidence right in front of us blindly believing? So, is the Freesync technology branding still prominent on those monitors? Show me that they are please, if you can.

Next thing I know, you will tell me GPP was false as well, right? LOL, it is right there in your face, believing is not needed.

Watch. The. Video. :D Sorry but, I go to the source, as unpopular as that is around [H].

I don't need to listen to Jim drone on when I can look at the thread and see the evidence presented and call out that it does not appear to be happening across the board. You'd know this if you took the time to do real research instead of blindly believing something.

Well if gsync super duper flimflam rating is a superset of freesync - then it makes the freesync label redundant.

Brilliant move leather jacket guy

I don't need to listen to Jim drone on when I can look at the thread and see the evidence presented and call out that it does not appear to be happening across the board. You'd know this if you took the time to do real research instead of blindly believing something.

So, because it is not happening on ALL monitors, it is not happening on the ones that Nvidia took over? LOL! Then you will believe what you choose and ignore everything else, oh well.......

So, because it is not happening on ALL monitors, it is not happening on the ones that Nvidia took over? LOL! Then you will believe what you choose and ignore everything else, oh well.......

So you've been present for backroom deals and can provide first hand accounts of what went on?

I did too notice that all new release monitors are saying Gsync compatible too. Of course they are going to do that.. Nvidia wants to sell more cards and the monitor makers want to sell more panels.

You know, probably the worst thing about this is all it will do is hurt the PC gaming market. I am so looking forward to the next gen consoles and their much more powerful hardware.

Back