NVIDIA Introduces The GeForce GTX TITAN Z

It's amazing the amount of haters on this card (who I'm sure wouldn't refuse a Titan Z if someone offered it to them). If you hate the Titan Z and want a cheaper, lower grade product, go and ask NVidia for a neutered, watered down version...something with a lot of disabled ROPs, less memory and lesser binned GPUs.

Or go buy an SLi setup of the 780 or 780 Ti if you don't need the Titan's compute abilities. Just because this card may not make sense to you or you may not be in the target market for it, doesn't mean that there aren't a considerable number of people who'll benefit from this card or find value in it.

Last edited:
This is what happens when you buy $1k video cards.

You get $3k video cards.

Thanks Nvidia.

This joke pricing and lack of 6+ monitor support is forcing me to go AMD next round.

This is what happens when you buy $1k video cards.

You get $3k video cards.

Thanks Nvidia.

This joke pricing and lack of 6+ monitor support is forcing me to go AMD next round.

Do you think if nobody bought the $1K Titan that NVidia would lower the price on it? Doubtful. They'd probably just go back to selling them as lower end Quadros or Teslas for a higher price and leave the GeForce line with the GPU rejectamenta from the Quadros (which is what Intel does with its Xeon and i7 lines, with the Xeon rejects being made into i7s). The GeForce line would likely be devoid of compute ability entirely, with that ability being relegated to the Quadro/Tesla line.

NVidia produced $1K video cards and the fact that they sold extremely well is proof of the fact that there is a considerable market for top quality, top shelf products and that people are willing to pay top dollar for them. Time will tell if there is a similar demand for $3K products, but I feel they will continue to sell well.

Well, it all depends. Quadro has a few more features , not all of which are useful for all developers. But it does cost more than either the Titan black or Titan Z (K6000 costs 4000$+). Meanwhile, the Titan has fully enabled compute/DP which is good for CUDA developers, and is better than the gtx 780 in that respect since the 780 has 1/24th DP performance. In the grand scheme of things, the pricing makes sense although I don't agree with even mentioning gaming in the marketing of the Titan Z. Although, perhaps, some CUDA developers are part time gamers. That could make the Titan line work for them, although the primary reason for the cost is the higher compute performance for CUDA development. I think that NV shouldn't even mention gaming in the marketing of these cards whatsoever, as that isn't their strength really.For the professional sector, Titan Z makes sense. For 99.999999999% of gamers, it doesn't.

And, as can be viewed from this thread, there are misconceptions among PC gamers about what the card is actually used for. NV mentioning gaming in their marketing doesn't help this matter - I don't agree with NV marketing in this fashion. But what the hell do I know. You can use it for gaming, sure, but that isn't the reason for the cost. The cost is because of the compute/CUDA development performance which is hands down superior to either the 780 or 780ti.

All that said, and i've mentioned this before, the Titan Z is neither the product I wanted or desired from nvidia. I was definitely disappointed at the news a couple of days ago - i'm a PC gamer and as such, I want PC gaming focused products. I certainly don't want professional CUDA development products. I was really hoping for maxwell tidbits and a GTX 790. No such luck though. Definitely was disappointed, still am.

Well, it all depends. Quadro has a few more features , not all of which are useful for all developers. But it does cost more than either the Titan black or Titan Z (K6000 costs 4000$+). Meanwhile, the Titan has fully enabled compute/DP which is good for CUDA developers, and is better than the gtx 780 in that respect since the 780 has 1/24th DP performance. In the grand scheme of things, the pricing makes sense although I don't agree with even mentioning gaming in the marketing of the Titan Z. Although, perhaps, some CUDA developers are part time gamers. That could make the Titan line work for them, although the primary reason for the cost is the higher compute performance for CUDA development. I think that NV shouldn't even mention gaming in the marketing of these cards whatsoever, as that isn't their strength really.For the professional sector, Titan Z makes sense. For 99.999999999% of gamers, it doesn't.

And, as can be viewed from this thread, there are misconceptions among PC gamers about what the card is actually used for. NV mentioning gaming in their marketing doesn't help this matter - I don't agree with NV marketing in this fashion. But what the hell do I know. You can use it for gaming, sure, but that isn't the reason for the cost. The cost is because of the compute/CUDA development performance which is hands down superior to either the 780 or 780ti.

All that said, and i've mentioned this before, the Titan Z is neither the product I wanted or desired from nvidia. I was definitely disappointed at the news a couple of days ago - i'm a PC gamer and as such, I want PC gaming focused products. I certainly don't want professional CUDA development products. I was really hoping for maxwell tidbits and a GTX 790. No such luck though. Definitely was disappointed, still am.

I think this card provide for the needs of CUDA developers and other professional uses while also providing an ultra high-end product to those that want it. Those who don't want to consider it a gaming card don't have to, although it'll do gaming better than any other card out there. I'm pleased it's marketed as a GeForce product, so QuadSLi should be possible on regular systems, and not just certified OEM boxes. QuadSLi benchmarks for Titan Z should end up being quite impressive. Whatever name the card carries, it's an ultra-premium product for an ultra-premium price, and is not targetted at most users. It does, however, strattle the needs of developers/professional users, as well as the needs of the ultra high-end of enthusiast users. This combined market has been dismissed as irrelevantly small by companies like Intel, but when NVidia made the effort to cater to it with the original Titan, they were handsomely rewarded and I feel will be again with the Titan Z. I hope that NVidia's success in providing for the needs of this market by providing this caliber of product will not go without notice at Intel, and maybe, just maybe, we might actually get a CPU from Intel that is truly worthy of being called [H]...;)

nVidia will probably cut a deal with Crysis 4 requiring dual Titan-Z cards ... :D

At $3000, we already have a WTF edition.

WTF ACX Edition

WTF Kingpin Edition

Asus WTF DC3500 Edition

MSI WTF Lightning II Double F Edition

This is begging for a new series of cards!

GTC is a compute-focused conference according to NVIDIA's intention when creating it many years ago. So I'm not too surprised that they didn't talk much about consumer stuff.

To me it sounds like a lot of their compute customers were buying $1k Titans instead of Quadros and Teslas so they thought it wise to make a $3k Titan for people to buy instead. And they will.

Anyways, if today's 16GB W9100 is $3999 then Titan-Z undecuts it by a grand.

My wish is for something like this WITHOUT the compute capabilities, at a more reasonable price point. Probably won't happen though.

It's amazing the amount of haters on this card (who I'm sure wouldn't refuse a Titan Z if someone offered it to them). If you hate the Titan Z and want a cheaper, lower grade product, go and ask NVidia for a neutered, watered down version...something with a lot of disabled ROPs, less memory and lesser binned GPUs.

Or go buy an SLi setup of the 780 or 780 Ti if you don't need the Titan's compute abilities. Just because this card may not make sense to you or you may not be in the target market for it, doesn't mean that there aren't a considerable number of people who'll benefit from this card or find value in it.

The only thing that people seem to be hating on is the price tag, not the GPU itself. It's an amazing achievement, for sure. But for $3000? C'mon now... for a gaming GPU, that is an absurd price tag. And there is a HUGE difference between being a dumbass and spending $3000 on a GPU for gaming, and happily accepting one if it was given out free.

Nobody is refuting the fact that it is likely going to be the fastest consumer-segment single PCB GPU available. But for $3000? It's a bullshit price tag and nothing more than schemed up money grab from those that feel the need to extend their epeen, and NVidia knows it.

If someone truly needs the benefit of this much compute power, a single PCB SLI "gaming" card is going to be the last thing they look towards.

With all that being said...
If I had the disposable income to spend on one of these, I certainly would be just another dumbass to do so. :D

You realize it isn't ONLY a gaming card, right? The reason for the price tag is the fact that the DP performance is 26-28 times faster than the GTX 780. It is a much better card for compute and CUDA development.

This has been stated in the thread many, many times. I agree with the sentiment that it's a horrible value for PC gaming, but when I see mention of the high price i'm like..."no shit". The card has more DP performance than the Quadro K6000. This is the reason for the high price tag, not sure why this is so widely misunderstood. I suspect that nvidia even mentioning gaming in relation to the Titan Z doesn't help matters, but the bottom line is gaming is not the reason for the high price tag. Compute/CUDA performance being nearly 30 times higher than the GTX 780/780ti is. Better DP performance than the K6000 is.

Honestly, I think NV needs to shut the fuck up with even mentioning gaming with the Titan line of cards. They should just market it as the CUDA development card that it excels at, and then no one would do the usual "WTF" at the price tag. And make no mistake, as a gamer I understand how stupid the pricetag is on the Titan Z for PC gaming. But, it isn't just a gaming card. I mean, you can get 780ti SLI for less than half of this so using a Titan Z for gaming is really, really questionable unless you're growing benjamins on trees.

I honestly have no fucking clue why NV would even partially market this card for gaming. Makes no sense. But what do I know. Maybe NV manages to sell a few cards that way to suckers, which would be unfortunate.

You realize it isn't ONLY a gaming card, right? The reason for the price tag is the fact that the DP performance is 26-28 times faster than the GTX 780. It is a much better card for compute and CUDA development.
The Titan Z is actually more like 56 times faster than a GTX 780 when it comes to double-precision performance.

Not only is the Titan Z fully unlocked, it has an entire extra GPU on-board...

Erm, yeah, that's true. I had single GPU stuck in my mind when I posted that. Nonetheless, that's the reason for the pricetag, the significantly higher compute and DP performance.

I am still confused as to why NV would even attempt to market it even partially towards gaming. I really think they should focus primarily towards professional use to avoid market confusion and all that sorta thing, then they wouldn't get the "WTF 3000$" reactions. But maybe NV knows what they're doing. I dunno. Definitely don't agree with the gaming spin though, even though all Titan's technically do fine for gaming. Wouldn't be the first or last time stupid things have come from marketing in general.

Last edited:
True. I just hope this doesn't rule out the possibility of a DP neutered GTX 790, since DP doesn't generally matter at all for PC gaming performance; I would find a consumer level 790 to be pretty interesting since i've been downsizing my rig for SFF as of late.

Perhaps with AMD supposedly working on their dual GPU Hawaii, we'll get something more aligned towards PC gaming specifically in a 790, instead of a hybrid CUDA / gaming type of deal. I dunno though. They certainly did not do that (compute card > consumer oriented card) with the original Titan until several months after. Oh well. We'll see I guess.

It was an instant turn-off when he showed that the card has only one DP port.

NVIDIA actually publishes a 60W "Graphics Card Power" spec for the Ti, not a thermal design power spec. Whether the two are one and the same I don't know.
One of you may want to reach out to Peterson for clarification.
Well... that just makes the rating even more confusing :p
So Nvidia actually says the card is rated to draw 60w under load (not TDP, actual power draw), even though the BIOS wont let it get anywhere near that?
This sounds like it could become an issue come newer Maxwell cards.
Say we get a GTX 880 with a 200W TDP. It performs great and all but while everyone is doing their testing & or mining etc the card never goes pulls over 150W. Do we blame Nvidia for false advertising? Will modding bios' become necessary to achieve a real 200W from the card.
We thought it was bad now with only a few cards having an unlocked power limit. Imo the future looks a little dim in that respect.

I TRULY DO NOT GIVE A FUCK.
You should, since you bring up TDP perf. a lot. It has been shown by several websites that the added 6Pin power on the 750 Ti does nothing for performance. This backs up the news that the TDP of 38.5W is locked into the BIOS.
This only further proves your point of how efficient Maxwell is Vs...everything....:confused:

Last edited:
It is kinda weird how they used the Titan branding for this card. The previous Titans were "wealthy gamer / poor man's number cruncher" cards, but this card is the "moderately wealthy number cruncher's card / gamers need not apply".

So are they going to make an SLI 780 / 780Ti card without tripling the price? Obviously the infrastructure is there. Though it's kind of way late to do so I suspect.

It is kinda weird how they used the Titan branding for this card. The previous Titans were "wealthy gamer / poor man's number cruncher" cards, but this card is the "moderately wealthy number cruncher's card / gamers need not apply".

I was surprised also, until I realized nvidia were stuck branding this card as geforce/titan since quadro cards use ECC ram.

Also I can't see the workstation market wanting to design, support, and certify a dual gpu card system on top of multi-card systems.

is the ecc ram on the quadro cards mainly aimed at intensive compute applications? (I mean the whole card pretty much is, right, but then the quadro cards are also used in graphics design apps) when would ecc ram on a gpu really make the difference?

I don't understand why people are getting upset over this card. It's not meant for gaming, it's a workstation card, and if you're on a workstation budget, then you will be able to afford this card.

I wish they could have unveiled something different, but this is what we got.

I don't understand why people are getting upset over this card. It's not meant for gaming, it's a workstation card, and if you're on a workstation budget, then you will be able to afford this card.

Someone didn't read the article... Second sentence:

"Built around two Kepler GPUs and 12GB of dedicated frame buffer memory, TITAN Z is engineered for next-generation 5K and multi-monitor gaming."

As already pointed out, YES it is for gaming. Just like the Titan was marketed that way too yet some people denied it.

Someone didn't read the article... Second sentence:

"Built around two Kepler GPUs and 12GB of dedicated frame buffer memory, TITAN Z is engineered for next-generation 5K and multi-monitor gaming."

This is just from one article, sorry, I read it somewhere else.

And since it is a Dual GPU won't it only be able to utilize 6GB of VRAM?

unless they somehow found a way to pool memory and gpus, doubtful though

Back