NVIDIA Introduces The GeForce GTX TITAN Z

HardOCP News

[H] News
Continuing the TITAN legacy of supercomputer-inspired performance, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang unveiled the GeForce GTX TITAN Z today at our annual GPU Technology Conference. Built around two Kepler GPUs and 12GB of dedicated frame buffer memory, TITAN Z is engineered for next-generation 5K and multi-monitor gaming. With two GK110 chips, TITAN Z is powered by a total of 5,760 processing cores, or 2,880 cores per GPU. “If you’re in desperate need of a supercomputer that you need to fit under your desk, we have just the card for you,” Jen-Hsun said.

Unlike traditional dual-GPU cards, Titan Z’s twin GPUs are tuned to run at the same clock speed, and with dynamic power balancing. So neither GPU creates a performance bottleneck. And that performance is delivered in a card that is cool and quiet, rather than hot and loud. Low-profile components and ducted baseplate channels minimize turbulence and improves acoustic quality.

Even I am sad to see the price of this card. And I am the fool that forked over $1k per Titan card when they came out. I see myself using my Titan's for another 3 years.

Imagine the beast-mode mITX system you could build with one of these.

You would need a 3 slot case but still...

So, when can we expect a GTX 780 Z? :D

You didn't get the email from eVGA regarding preorders for the GTX780 6GB edition *cough* Titan, that can't be SLIed with Titan *cough*. I've been waiting on the price to drop on the original Titans so I can SLI, but it looks like NV is doing everything it can so that people will have to move up.

So I wonder what we're looking at as far as power connectors. Are two 8-pin going to be enough to get the job done or will they add a third?

You didn't get the email from eVGA regarding preorders for the GTX780 6GB edition *cough* Titan, that can't be SLIed with Titan *cough*. I've been waiting on the price to drop on the original Titans so I can SLI, but it looks like NV is doing everything it can so that people will have to move up.
How does that have ANYTHING to do with a supposed "GTX 780 Z" (which would be a dual-GPU card similar to the Titan Z that this thread is about)?

And the 6GB GTX 780 can't be SLIed with a 6GB Titan because it's NOT a Titan. The specs don't match.
- A Titan has more SMX units enabled than a 780.
- A Titan has MANY times faster Double Precision support than a 780.

Putting 6GB of RAM on a GTX 780 doesn't suddenly make it a Titan :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So I wonder what we're looking at as far as power connectors. Are two 8-pin going to be enough to get the job done or will they add a third?

Seeing as my 290X lightning takes two 8 pins plus a 6 pin, I would imagine this would take four 8 pins

This is not made for gaming but maybe there be a 780-Z model later , not sure how that would stake up against top Maxwell model , once we get feature set .

No thanks. Proving that Nvidia is suffering at some level to have to shill some twerked out video card for 3 grand. First thing I said when I saw that? "GTFO you goofy bastard."

Fuck you too, Nvidia. 3k for that shit.

Fuck you too, Nvidia. 3k for that shit.

You think $3K for a workstation card with dual GK110 GPU's, 5760 cores, 12GB of GDDR5, and fully unlocked double-precision performance is expensive?

Wow... I hope you never look at the price of comparable Quadro and Tesla hardware...

Edit: Yes, I realize people will purchase it as a gaming card. But people also should have learned by now that the "Titan" name comes with additional workstation-class non-gaming features (and matching price tag) attached.

Don't worry. The Titan $ price will drop in half in no time just like the original Titan.

Since when do multi GPU setups run the GPUs at different clock speeds unless one throttles down because of overheating?

Saying the is a new thing is quite misleading.

You believe in their marketing?

If I told you that a F15 can go through a McDonalds drive thru, will that be your next form of transportation?

Give it two months. The 790 Ti or whatever will be here. Just like the 780 was right after the Titan.

Hmm, new video card or a 2005 Honda Civic? Let me mull that one over.

I wonder what the clocks will be. Will two Titan blacks side by side be faster than one of these?

You think $3K for a workstation card with dual GK110 GPU's, 5760 cores, 12GB of GDDR5, and fully unlocked double-precision performance is expensive?
I don't think it's valid to consider the Titan series "workstation" parts. They aren't even ECC-backed. Titans are typically billed as entry-level compute parts, or, more aptly, prosumer compute parts.

And, yes, I think $3k is a bit much for what is effectively the fusion of two Titans. Premiums in dual-GPU parts are expected and reasonable, but this is a fairly significant and questionable premium. For certain prosumer customers, it may still make sense, but I find the price difficult to comprehend.

Wow... I hope you never look at the price of comparable Quadro and Tesla hardware...

Edit: Yes, I realize people will purchase it as a gaming card. But people also should have learned by now that the "Titan" name comes with additional workstation-class non-gaming features (and matching price tag) attached.

This. I have seen some workstations where 80% of the cost was the GPU(s), and the WS cost 30k. Dem Numberz.

This pretty much seals the deal. Nvidia is the new Apple.

Yeah making money is for losers. :rolleyes:

AT least NVidia is taking their profits and creating new techs that are incoming. More than can be said for Apple.

Don't worry. The Titan $ price will drop in half in no time just like the original Titan.

The Titan has never dropped in price since it was released. The card has been replaced by the Titan Black and pushed the older Titans off the grid completely. All the e-tailers did not cut the price of the orig titan at all.

Addition: The cards have always retailed for $999.99 to $1,049.99...when the black was released, it kept the same price...

Just not seeing how this will sell. I'm hazarding a guess here, but I expect that a pair of Titan Blacks SLI'ed for a full grand less will easily out perform this monstrousity. Would have been nice to hear some big Maxwell news... This just smacks of further delaying/stall tactics. Sort of a glitzy, overpriced car model that no one ever buys. If this thing handily outperformed a pair of Titan Blacks, then I could see selling it for perhaps $2200 - 2300. But $3k? Get real Nvidia and put down that pipe.

In before Vega reviews these in quad-sli

Can someone help me with this:

2X titan blacks have in total 12gb of RAM but can use only 6GB and not 12.

Can Titan Z use 12GB at once, as stated by Nvidia or it can only use 6GB as 2x Titan black in SLI do?

Thanks

The Titan has never dropped in price since it was released. The card has been replaced by the Titan Black and pushed the older Titans off the grid completely. All the e-tailers did not cut the price of the orig titan at all.

Addition: The cards have always retailed for $999.99 to $1,049.99...when the black was released, it kept the same price...

You need to check and fix your sarcasm detector. It's broken.

Would be cool to have yet it is way too expensive for my blood. I'd rather get two GTX Titan Blacks and if I get in a pinch I could sell one off and still maintain reasonable gaming performance coupled with decent double precision performance.

I really wanted a more affordable dual GPU. $1500 was my threshold, but 3k is a waste for me.

Back