Nvidia in your cell phone?

Impulse

[H]F Junkie
Heh, I was just over at NVidia's site and I noticed they have this PR article about how they've developed a mobile phone graphics processor... Hadn't heard they'd branched in those directions, kinda surprising. Didn't read a whole lot into it but it did say that the processor apparently even has shader processing capabilities, whoa, among other things such as optimizations for driving a digital camera, etc.

Anyone else read about this? It'd be somewhat amusing/disturbing if suddenly there's people walking around with cell phones that have faster GPUs than the secondary computer here at home (1GHz P3 / GF2 GTS 32MB, the Radeon 9600 on it died)! What is Intel's XScale PocketPC processor running at now? More than a year ago when I bought my Toshiba i305 it was already 400MHz IIRC.

still looks to be 400Mhz (quick scan on egg, but i know diddly on pocketpcs)

PR rocks :D

Impulse said:
Heh, I was just over at NVidia's site and I noticed they have this PR article about how they've developed a mobile phone graphics processor... Hadn't heard they'd branched in those directions, kinda surprising. Didn't read a whole lot into it but it did say that the processor apparently even has shader processing capabilities, whoa, among other things such as optimizations for driving a digital camera, etc.

Anyone else read about this? It'd be somewhat amusing/disturbing if suddenly there's people walking around with cell phones that have faster GPUs than the secondary computer here at home (1GHz P3 / GF2 GTS 32MB, the Radeon 9600 on it died)! What is Intel's XScale PocketPC processor running at now? More than a year ago when I bought my Toshiba i305 it was already 400MHz IIRC.

Read about it a while ago, ATI are doing it aswell. Mobile/Cellphone gaming is MASSIVE in the UK. Well anything mobile/cellphone related is really. Polyphonic ringtones and java/mobile gaming being the biggest.

I did see a demonstration of the original quake on a cell phone actually, I don't recall which companies graphics chip it was using, but it was quite kool none the less!

hehe that is cool now think of the day you can run Doom3 on your cell or pocketPC :cool:

Samsung developed a 667mhz cpu for cell phones, that combined with the nv/ati/powervr mobile chipsets and samsungs new 8gig flash card it sounds like old school games are coming to a cell phone near you.

Sounds like they should've arrived quite a while ago... :p 400MHz is more than enough to run true classics, it'd just be a bear to get them to actually run properly I bet (speaking of old DOS games here), probably impossible. I wonder if you can run SNES emulators and stuff tho...

I bet any company that got licensing to a couple of actual classics would rake in the moolah with this stuff, there's probably two dozen suits trying to develop some spin on tired puzzle games instead or a shoddy port of a newer game.

Oh and yea, Samsung's all coy... They've also developed higher megapixel-count cameras for cell phones faster than anybody, but the images are too big to transfer effectively... oh hey, what do you know, they make memory too! How convenient. ;)

MetalStorm said:
I did see a demonstration of the original quake on a cell phone actually, I don't recall which companies graphics chip it was using, but it was quite kool none the less!

sure it was quake?

Doom (not 3 :p ) runs on my P900 and some Nokias just fine

273BeLow said:
sure it was quake?

Doom (not 3 :p ) runs on my P900 and some Nokias just fine

Doom runs fine on my Nokia 6600 too, brings back memories :) gotta be a Series 60 handset tho, Symbian operating system.

Quake is very playable on my father's Axim. Quake 2 is supposed to be playable on it too, haven't tried.

Back