Nvidia HDMI problem

Oscar Meyer

Limp Gawd
I mostly game on my asus 24 inch monitor, but I decided to hook up my tv located in another room via hdmi. Its a cheapo walmart 32 inch vizio. First thing I notice are the colors seem slightly washed out. Games like Dead Space 3, the darkness and what should be black is slightly gray. I researched the issue on the web and it seems Nvidia drivers have had this problem for a long time. It sometimes outputs limited RGB via hdmi. You can fix it by using a hack or using a custom resolution which makes it send Full RGB thru hdmi.

So I did the fix and now the images on my tv look good. Blacks are black. But now, my asus monitor looks a little less bright. The contrast between light and dark is not as pronounced any more. For instance, in Skyrim, the colors and brightness at 11:00am looks like its 4:00pm. There is alot less contrast between light and dark. The only way to fix this is to completely uninstall and reinstall the driver. The tool I used to make the video card send full RGB signal is this http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371214 . It works great in fixing the tv color, but it makes the signal to my asus monitor look dull. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
What about adjusting the color settings in the NVCP? When you go to "Adjust video color settings", select NVIDIA settings, and then go to the Advanced tab, will it let you set the HDMI from limited dynamic range (16-235) to full (0-255)? What about manually adjusting the colors for each display in that same area?

What about adjusting the color settings in the NVCP? When you go to "Adjust video color settings", select NVIDIA settings, and then go to the Advanced tab, will it let you set the HDMI from limited dynamic range (16-235) to full (0-255)? What about manually adjusting the colors for each display in that same area?

Yeah, I've tried that, it only affects playing video. It doesn't affect desktop or 3d games. It's not really the color that's off, but the absolute max black and white is being limited. When installing fresh drivers, output thru DVI is great, but thru hdmi is limited. If you perform the Full RGB hack, then hdmi gives full dark and light range, but then dvi gets limited. LOL. You can adjust gamma, contrast, brightness thru NVCP, but it won't fully make the picture correct, because the absolute black and white cannot be produced.

Back