Nvidia HDMI EDID issue workaround for windows 7

Valset

Supreme [H]ardness
title says it all, is their workaround for the issue like their is in vista? I am still looking but hoping that their are some other window 7 beta users here with the same issue.

I can't believe Nvidia STILL hasn't fixed this. bastards.

title says it all, is their workaround for the issue like their is in vista? I am still looking but hoping that their are some other window 7 beta users here with the same issue.

I can't believe Nvidia STILL hasn't fixed this. bastards.

Not an NVIDIA problem. It's an issue with the monitor's EDID.

I did a google for "ATi EDID problem" and found something I hadn't seen before, posted in 2005:

http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/

This was very interesting because the author actually talked to both nVidia and ATi about this problem. It appears that the decisions they made back in 2005 still stand today. To quote a small part of the article:

Again nVIDIA’s driver design philosophy was to rigidly uphold the outlines of the EDID provided by the display device. ATi on the other hand still uses the EDID information to generate the list of allowed resolutions; however it does not constrain you to them. If I wanted to run my HDTV out of spec the ATi Catalyst drivers would let me as long as I agreed to the proper warnings first.

I asked nVIDIA about this too and their main reason for enforcing the EDID and its limitations was because they wanted to protect the average consumer from frying his or her monitor accidentally. By preventing the user from changing into display modes and scan rate frequencies which are unsupported by the EDID, they basically created the safest drivers that they could release. However the side-effect of this built-in limitation is that it ended up marooning those who had deficiently-designed EDIDs.

The rest of the article will be of great interest to anyone experiencing the EDID problem, even if it is an older article.

I did a google for "ATi EDID problem" and found something I hadn't seen before, posted in 2005:

http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/

This was very interesting because the author actually talked to both nVidia and ATi about this problem. It appears that the decisions they made back in 2005 still stand today. To quote a small part of the article:

The rest of the article will be of great interest to anyone experiencing the EDID problem, even if it is an older article.

actually there is a work around, and this problem (the one I have) is only an issue using HDMI, if I had a DVI it would work. regardless I was wondering if there was a similar to patch the registry in widows 7 to fix the issue.

Same issue here on the LG246WP monitor.

Overscan like a mofo in Windows 7. Registry hack worked for Vista 64, but not for Windows 7...I've tried it.

Still waiting/looking for a solution to a problem we shouldn't have. :(

they have different registry in window 7. I don't think the same one will work . at least I know I am not the only person with issues

they have different registry in window 7. I don't think the same one will work . at least I know I am not the only person with issues

Yup...I've got a thread on this issue as well. The only way to run Vista in native resolution for me is to uninstall the Nvidia drivers through add/remove programs.

Yup...I've got a thread on this issue as well. The only way to run Vista in native resolution for me is to uninstall the Nvidia drivers through add/remove programs.

for vista 64 you know their is a registry hack to fix this right?, it will run in the native resolution with the drivers, you just have to lie to it.

for vista 64 you know their is a registry hack to fix this right?, it will run in the native resolution with the drivers, you just have to lie to it.

My bad...I meant Windows 7 in place for Vista. I fixed the problem in Vista. Sorry for the confusion.

My bad...I meant Windows 7 in place for Vista. I fixed the problem in Vista. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, I wonder if this is something we should ask MS about? it is a nvidia issue but the same workaround should be available?

Ok, I wonder if this is something we should ask MS about? it is a nvidia issue but the same workaround should be available?

I'm not sure that MS recommended the registry tweak in Vista so they might be hesitant to do so for Windows 7. :confused:

I'm not sure that MS recommended the registry tweak in Vista so they might be hesitant to do so for Windows 7. :confused:

well I know they they didn't but I am wondering who to even report the issue to. its not MS fault but do they need to know or care about it? , Nvidia keeps dancing around the issue (I am wishing I had held out for the 4870X2 right about now) and hannspree points out that their monitors work fine with other video chip sets (kinda hard to argue that point, both ATI and intel don't seem to have this particular issue)

Val- You're absolutely right and that's why I'm frustrated. I'm pretty sure MS knows about it, but if it's not a HUGE problem, they won't care enough to fix it.

Everybody points fingers at the other guy (MS vs. Nvidia vs. monitor manufacturer.)

Val- You're absolutely right and that's why I'm frustrated. I'm pretty sure MS knows about it, but if it's not a HUGE problem, they won't care enough to fix it.

Everybody points fingers at the other guy (MS vs. Nvidia vs. monitor manufacturer.)

I am about to sell my 280 and buy a 4850X2 here. I Know this should not bug me but that fact that Nvidia flattly refuses to even provide a workaround for this is just a deal killer here. I don't like vista as much as windows 7 (didn't take long) and my video card will go long before my monitor will.

really I can't blame MS though, it isn't their issue.

I'm not sure I would sell a GTX 280 (and probably take a loss on it) just because I can't use W7 yet. Just hang in there for now and use Vista.

Vista 64 works just fine with the registry fix and plays my games without any problems. You're right W7 is "cleaner" than Vista though.

I'm not sure I would sell a GTX 280 (and probably take a loss on it) just because I can't use W7 yet. Just hang in there for now and use Vista.

Vista 64 works just fine with the registry fix and plays my games without any problems. You're right W7 is "cleaner" than Vista though.

your probably right, its just on my nerves. and W7 does look like what vista should have been.

*********************Okay, I found the overscan fix for Windows 7 after navigating many google searches.*********************

I did the following registry edit for my GTX260 and LG246WP:

**Obtain the EDID numbers from your monitor using the Phoenix Utility (for those using the LG246WP, the first four numbers are 1E,6D,3F,56)

1. Let Windows 7 update the Nvidia drivers through Windows Update or download them from Nvidia.
2. Run regedit and go here: HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
3. Check each subfolder called "0000" until you see:
>Settings
>Uninstall
>Volatilesettings
4. Once you find that, click the "0000" and select "new" followed by "binary value"
5. Rename the value to OverrideEdidFlags0 and hit enter/okay
6. Right click OverrideEdidFlags0 and select "Modify Binary Data"
7. Don't mind the "0000" already in the key- just manually type in "1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00" without the quotation marks/commas and click okay. If you are using a different monitor than the LG246WP, the first four values (or maybe all) of that string will be different.
8. Close regedit and reboot. Your overscan problems should be fixed.

I've attached a picture of my registry edit: http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7462/regsp6.jpg

More info here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...ows 7&st=100

*********************Okay, I found the overscan fix for Windows 7 after navigating many google searches.*********************

I did the following registry edit for my GTX260 and LG246WP:

**Obtain the EDID numbers from your monitor using the Phoenix Utility (for those using the LG246WP, the first four numbers are 1E,6D,3F,56)

1. Let Windows 7 update the Nvidia drivers through Windows Update or download them from Nvidia.
2. Run regedit and go here: HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
3. Check each subfolder called "0000" until you see:
>Settings
>Uninstall
>Volatilesettings
4. Once you find that, click the "0000" and select "new" followed by "binary value"
5. Rename the value to OverrideEdidFlags0 and hit enter/okay
6. Right click OverrideEdidFlags0 and select "Modify Binary Data"
7. Don't mind the "0000" already in the key- just manually type in "1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00" without the quotation marks/commas and click okay. If you are using a different monitor than the LG246WP, the first four values (or maybe all) of that string will be different.
8. Close regedit and reboot. Your overscan problems should be fixed.

I've attached a picture of my registry edit: http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7462/regsp6.jpg

More info here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...ows 7&st=100

hum, that looks a lot like the vista one, I didn't think it worked in W7. I will try this tonight. I couldn't get this one to work in vista at first anyways, had to make a reg file and add it that way for some reason.

Did it work? It's such a dumb issue that nvidia needs to fix. I shouldn't have to run a reg batch and edit a driver file to get my expensive ass video card to work correctly.

Same issue here on the LG246WP monitor.

Overscan like a mofo in Windows 7. Registry hack worked for Vista 64, but not for Windows 7...I've tried it.

Still waiting/looking for a solution to a problem we shouldn't have. :(

Forgive my ignorance, but what is this overscan issue of which you speak? I have the same monitor, and was planning to upgrade to Vista/W7 pretty soon. I haven't noticed any problems in XP, but I don't want to be surprised when I switch.

Not yet, I have added the line in (like last time) but I can't find the same entry as xxshawnxx, I will have to try and find the right sub folder. I have spent all the patience I right now and will try again latter. the entry is the same as I used last time only I think I have to add it somewhere else.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is this overscan issue of which you speak? I have the same monitor, and was planning to upgrade to Vista/W7 pretty soon. I haven't noticed any problems in XP, but I don't want to be surprised when I switch.

nvidia drivers have issues with some EDID that they have not bothered to fix. Of course ATI has some issues as well but THEY are considerate enough to provide a work around. basicaly the drivers misread the monitor info and display an incorrect screen size or ratio. for instance my GTX280 displays something like 2134 by 1200 instead of the correct 1920 by 1200.

nvidia drivers have issues with some EDID that they have not bothered to fix. Of course ATI has some issues as well but THEY are considerate enough to provide a work around. basicaly the drivers misread the monitor info and display an incorrect screen size or ratio. for instance my GTX280 displays something like 2134 by 1200 instead of the correct 1920 by 1200.

*sigh* you're clearly a bit clueless on this topic.

There is no such thing as "misreading the EDID". The EDID has a specific purpose. Normally, you have monitors that have EDID information which included a mid-size and max size supported resolution and timings, and the video drivers scale things appropriately for all resolutions/timings in between them.

But some manufacturers fail to include proper resolutions (like they leave the max res out) built into the EDID, so the drivers can only support resolutions *up to* the highest resolution, since the drivers cannot safely assume that the monitor can support anything higher than that when the monitor itself sends information for. If thecompany making the monitor didn't correctly setup their EDID, that's their fault.

yeah it IS a problem with the driver, they were even suppose to fix it, they didn't

Clueless, it's not a driver problem. It's an EDID problem. Buy a brand name monitor next time that can correctly create their EDID.

Things wouldn't be as convenient as an EDID chip which is programmable in some way? Else popping open the monitor or so to reprogram the EDID would seem like a good approach, as 'fixing' this in drivers is just a hack.

Clueless, it's not a driver problem. It's an EDID problem. Buy a brand name monitor next time that can correctly create their EDID.

Dude, LG is a brand name monitor. Please troll somewhere else. Thanks!!!

odd really, intel and ATI don't seem to have an issue with it. I guess your right, Hannspree, LG, Intel, and ATI MUST have just gotten it wrong.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Go do some research before you pollute the thread. Thanks.

Dude, LG is a brand name monitor. Please troll somewhere else. Thanks!!!

same with my viewsonic 28" :(. Luckly nvidia made a patch for my specific monitor, since the edid registry edit didn't correct the problem.

this seems to be a pretty common issue all of a sudden

I'm having this exact same problem, but on an HDMI-equipped laptop running Win7 x86 via an ATI Radeon X1200. I'm running the latest drivers from windows update, and ATI's Catalyst refuses to install any new drivers.

I've tried the registry fix, no luck. Please help!

I'm having this exact same problem, but on an HDMI-equipped laptop running Win7 x86 via an ATI Radeon X1200. I'm running the latest drivers from windows update, and ATI's Catalyst refuses to install any new drivers.

I've tried the registry fix, no luck. Please help!

this thread is narco. I would post this in the ATI forum or the mobile computing forum. the other item is to use the ATI mobile driver. if your manafacture does not support it then go to driver haven and download the ATI mod tool.

this thread is narco. I would post this in the ATI forum or the mobile computing forum. the other item is to use the ATI mobile driver. if your manafacture does not support it then go to driver haven and download the ATI mod tool.

What, would you rather he make a new thread? and 5000 people post "search before you make a new thread?

People need to shut the fuck up about this shit.

PS. Try the FORCE settings from the CCC and see if it works or not, if that doesn't try the 1080p60 mode in CCC as well...

What, would you rather he make a new thread? and 5000 people post "search before you make a new thread?

People need to shut the fuck up about this shit.

PS. Try the FORCE settings from the CCC and see if it works or not, if that doesn't try the 1080p60 mode in CCC as well...

lets see, different manufacture, different driver, and large time frame difference (how many driver releases ?). damn your right, I have no idea what I was thinking. thank you for setting me straight there. :rolleyes:

its not like people (like I did to start with) search for "nvidia flat screen scaling" or in his case "ATI flat screen scaling issue"

I probably should not be feed the trolls here

What do you mean about FORCE settings? I would love to be able to force it to read the monitor as a DVI device and not HDMI device. It would solve the whole problem. I've spent HOURS playing with rewriting EDID's and INFs. No luck.

lets see, different manufacture, different driver, and large time frame difference (how many driver releases ?). damn your right, I have no idea what I was thinking. thank you for setting me straight there. :rolleyes:

its not like people (like I did to start with) search for "nvidia flat screen scaling" or in his case "ATI flat screen scaling issue"

I probably should not be feed the trolls here

What are you talking about? Search "EDID Overscan" and whats the first thread you get?

What do you mean about FORCE settings? I would love to be able to force it to read the monitor as a DVI device and not HDMI device. It would solve the whole problem. I've spent HOURS playing with rewriting EDID's and INFs. No luck.

Again, I haven't experienced this problem myself, but try this:

xxshawnxx's EDID registry edit made my GTX 470 finally work properly with my LG246WP-BN. Thanks!

Back