Nvidia has no new cards planned for 2013 either?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark974

Limp Gawd
Is this the case? I'm confused. Whats the latest Nvidia roadmap?

Edit: I mean besides this old delayed GK110 thing we've been hearing about for two years now.

That card has been delayed and talked about over and over for the past year. I'm talking about you know, new silicon across the board. Hell I think GK110 has literally caused global warming with two years and hundreds of thousands of posts about it in those past years.

What would I like, more than one "new" card that costs less than $800.

delayed GK110?

is this guy inhaling smoke from burned up amd gpu's?

That card has been delayed and talked about over and over for the past year. I'm talking about you know, new silicon across the board.

What would I like, more than one "new" card that costs less than $800.

Why? is there not a card out now that will do what you need?
Do you want a new card for the sake of having a new card?
Why develop a new card when what you have out now is more than adequate for today's needs?

There are plenty of cards out for less than $800.00 but I suspect you already know that

WTF?

I've been reading about GK110 for LITERALLY a year! Would you like me to search and link some posts????

I mean, wow...

The andandtech headline for GK110 Tesla was "GK110 arrives at last" And the article was written last November!

Heres a post about GK1110 from April 2012, I guess at that time it was expected in Q3 12 http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1684499&highlight=gk110

Last edited:
Why? is there not a card out now that will do what you need?
Do you want a new card for the sake of having a new card?
Why develop a new card when what you have out now is more than adequate for today's needs?

There are plenty of cards out for less than $800.00 but I suspect you already know that

I want new cards like we are supposed to get!

Brainwashed by the past 10 years....:D

for real.....unless someone is rocking a 4 year old card, there are probably very few people who really need a new card.....the last few generations are pretty damn powerful ..I'm still using a pair of 580's and they blow through anything I throw at them.....I know there are a few people who need more power, but they are certainly not the majority

All the money is in mobile. No one gives a shit about a few thousand desktop users who want an new GPU. You guys don't make shareholders happy.

New cards= lower prices on old stock, same prices for faster, more efficient designs.

Yeah, anyone who wants that is brainwashed..

I've also reached the point of diminishing returns...my single GTX 580 is fine for me at 1920 x 1200 in 95% of games...even the occasional Crysis 3 or Metro 2033 is still playable above 40 fps...Nvidia realizes this and that's why there are longer times between refresh cycles

there's no new cards in 2013. There's only the GeForce Titan.
The new upcoming GTX 700 series will come out in 2014...Possibly between March - May 2014. That's usually the roadmap for nvidia nowadays...1 new generation GPU every 2 years.

Normally I would be surprised that someone made a thread about this, but, given today society and the average person's IQ, I am not surprised at all...

Normally I would be surprised that someone made a thread about this, but, given today society and the average person's IQ, I am not surprised at all...

As it turned out, he was just a butthurt AMD fan, that's all.

This is pretty dismissive. There's something else that doesn't sit right with this either.

I'm a little shocked that there aren't any new cards out just for the sake of competition. I look at the moves that each of these companies is making, and it's causing me to do some double-takes. First thought in my mind was "I thought these two companies (AMD and Nvidia) are competing?" If it's true that GK-110 was supposed to be Nvidia's true flagship card, then it raises even more questions. Like, why didn't you release it at the time when AMD's HD-7970 flagship was out? Sure, the "midrange" GTX-680 performed better, but isn't that what competition is? Assuming all of this is true, why didn't they go for a complete shut-out?

Of course, as a consumer I don't want there to be a graphics monopoly. But in my mind, this isn't what big business usually does. If they see a way to completely destroy their competition, they usually do so without thought. Also, the graphics card industry isn't regulated. No one can tell Nvidia not to make a card that's too high-end so that their competition can have a chance.

Am I missing something here? The cellphone companies did that with 3G a few years back. I remember that virtually overnight, EVERYONE had 5GB / $60-a-month plans. The only difference was in overage rates. To me, this doesn't make any sense.

Titan having 85% more performance than 680 if those early leaks are true i consider it as a new card, heck even if its 50% faster.

like i said, i think OP is just butthurt that AMD has nothing to attack Titan with until 2014.

First thought in my mind was "I thought these two companies (AMD and Nvidia) are competing?" If it's true that GK-110 was supposed to be Nvidia's true flagship card, then it raises even more questions. Like, why didn't you release it at the time when AMD's HD-7970 flagship was out? Sure, the "midrange" GTX-680 performed better, but isn't that what competition is? Assuming all of this is true, why didn't they go for a complete shut-out?
Have you paid any attention to the GK110 at all?

The GK104 beat AMD's top end GPU. Meanwhile, they are selling the GK110s as Tesla products for $3000 apiece, and the Tesla cards were sold out and backordered for months.

Why would they divert GK110s to the consumer space and lose money when they don't have to?

Welcome to business.

Have you paid any attention to the GK110 at all?

The GK104 beat AMD's top end GPU. Meanwhile, they are selling the GK110s as Tesla products for $3000 apiece, and the Tesla cards were sold out and backordered for months.

Why would they divert GK110s to the consumer space and lose money when they don't have to?

Welcome to business.

Yep, I've been paying attention. Tesla's a professional card. You pay for premium driver support with professional card. Kepler's got workstation models that cost a whole lot too. Unless... And I'm really asking (not being sarcastic) - Do video card manufacturers take a loss with consumer cards? And make up for it with workstation sales? Kind of like how console makers take a loss with the hardware (or at least they USED to) and made up for it in software sales?

Yep, I've been paying attention. Tesla's a professional card. You pay for premium driver support with professional card. Kepler's got workstation models that cost a whole lot too. Unless... And I'm really asking (not being sarcastic) - Do video card manufacturers take a loss with consumer cards? And make up for it with workstation sales? Kind of like how console makers take a loss with the hardware (or at least they USED to) and made up for it in software sales?
No they don't generally take a loss, but the margin is significantly lower than their margin on workstation products. The K20 and K20x Tesla cards, which use GK110, were completely sold out and back ordered. So for NVIDIA to release GK110 consumer products, they would have had to divert chips that would otherwise have gone to $3000 Tesla card sales, to sell them for <$1000 to consumers.

My guess is that they stockpiled chips that didn't pass validation for sale in Tesla products but were good enough for consumer boards, and now are releasing the Titan using those chips.

No they don't generally take a loss, but the margin is significantly lower than their margin on workstation products. The K20 and K20x Tesla cards, which use GK110, were completely sold out and back ordered. So for NVIDIA to release GK110 consumer products, they would have had to divert chips that would otherwise have gone to $3000 Tesla card sales, to sell them for <$1000 to consumers.

My guess is that they stockpiled chips that didn't pass validation for sale in Tesla products but were good enough for consumer boards, and now are releasing the Titan using those chips.

So it could have been a production issue then. Your guess is probably a good one and a correct one, as Titan won't have all of the SMX's enabled. Can't remember the number - but I think it's 14 out of the 15. Still, if it's true that Nvidia won't be coming out with new cards this year, it'll be disappointing. No, we don't "need" new graphics cards as we have plenty of power now for anything really. But still, it would have been nice to have some faster/stronger/better cards for the $200 and sub-$200 range. :(

So it could have been a production issue then. Your guess is probably a good one and a correct one, as Titan won't have all of the SMX's enabled. Can't remember the number - but I think it's 14 out of the 15. Still, if it's true that Nvidia won't be coming out with new cards this year, it'll be disappointing. No, we don't "need" new graphics cards as we have plenty of power now for anything really. But still, it would have been nice to have some faster/stronger/better cards for the $200 and sub-$200 range. :(
Yes, the disabled SMX is what leads me to believe that's the route they took.

I would imagine prices will continue to fall throughout the year. The prices on the 7000 series and 600 series are much lower now than last March for example.

I'm a little shocked that there aren't any new cards out just for the sake of competition. I look at the moves that each of these companies is making, and it's causing me to do some double-takes. First thought in my mind was "I thought these two companies (AMD and Nvidia) are competing?" If it's true that GK-110 was supposed to be Nvidia's true flagship card, then it raises even more questions. Like, why didn't you release it at the time when AMD's HD-7970 flagship was out? Sure, the "midrange" GTX-680 performed better, but isn't that what competition is? Assuming all of this is true, why didn't they go for a complete shut-out?.

The GK110 was never meant to be their high end part. The GK100 was and it had to be scrapped because of yield and build issues. The GK110 is a HPC card, and it wasn't ready until the middle of December last year.

I think this is the case too.

Yes there was production issues, on both sides. Titan won't have all the SMX cores enabled but I don't think you can read anything into that, neither did the K20x which is built from the best of the best.

I can't believe neither AMD or Nvidia won't have cards out this year. But we will see.

Yes, the disabled SMX is what leads me to believe that's the route they took.

I would imagine prices will continue to fall throughout the year. The prices on the 7000 series and 600 series are much lower now than last March for example.

As I said above, the K20x has one core disabled too. The Titan parts probably failed on other criteria, most likely power efficiency.

Can't see the price of the Titan cards falling, I can't see them been in stock for very long. 10,000 worldwide isn't a lot of cards.

As I said above, the K20x has one core disabled too. The Titan parts probably failed on other criteria, most likely power efficiency.

Can't see the price of the Titan cards falling, I can't see them been in stock for very long. 10,000 worldwide isn't a lot of cards.
Ah, I was under the impression that the K20X in the Telsa line had all the SMX units enabled. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, basically this... no source, no facts, no truth at this time. And, crying fanboy indeed. :eek:

The GK110 was never meant to be their high end part. The GK100 was and it had to be scrapped because of yield and build issues. The GK110 is a HPC card, and it wasn't ready until the middle of December last year.

GK100 was never meant to be the GTX 680, as far as people have been able to tell. It was built, tried, and failed, so they changed GK104 up to be and then worked on GK110 for the HPC market. It appears they have now decided to use ones that couldn't make the cut, to fill a Titan card with before they release the GTX 7xx series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back