Nvidia GTX GPU sales up 51% since last year.

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/06/n...in-high-end-graphics-cards-1-15b-in-earnings/

The company reported second-quarter earnings were up 5 percent year over year, mostly driven by growth in GeForce GTX GPUs for gaming PCs. That product line was up 51 percent year over year, even though built-in OEM graphics chip business was down. The company said it expects revenue to stay roughly stable for the next quarter and gross margins, currently hovering around 56 percent to 57 percent, to remain steady.

Translation of all that fluff:

OEMs continue to charge exorbitant prices for "gaming" PCs. Sales of those have been flat.

Gamers either build their own, or buy $400 Core i5 system on markdown and puts their own graphics card inside.

Nvidia sees surge in sales from retail add-in-board market, especially after they carefully design and market a 1080p-capable card for $149 with low power, and design a card that can play comfortably at 1440p for $330. And then they release the world's best HTPC card with solid 1080p power for $40 less and 40% lower power than the snoozefest R9 285.

So yeah, nothing big I think :D

Last edited:
Nvidia is kicking AMD's ass right now. Their top end is faster and across the board they offer more attractive GPUs. The Fury runs hot and slower than the 980 TI and all the other cards are old cards rebranded. Last year AMD had a price/performance lead. In fact, you could actually get more performance for less from AMD than you can right now.

Nvidia is kicking AMD's ass right now. Their top end is faster and across the board they offer more attractive GPUs. The Fury runs hot and slower than the 980 TI and all the other cards are old cards rebranded. Last year AMD had a price/performance lead. In fact, you could actually get more performance for less from AMD than you can right now.

Actually the 290's and 290X's are a steal right now, when you can get either for $240 or $260/70 new respectively and they're more than enough card for anyone not running 4k with eye candy or high FPS.

3xx series are a stupid buy right now IMO.

Actually the 290's and 290X's are a steal right now, when you can get either for $240 or $260/70 new respectively and they're more than enough card for anyone not running 4k with eye candy or high FPS.

3xx series are a stupid buy right now IMO.

Yeah, this won't last though, the sales are mainly due to retailers clearing off remaining inventory.

Hopefully once that occurs, AMD cuts prices to make the 3xx series more appealing. I have seen a lot of recent deals on the 970 and 980, and when you consider NV is throwing in a free copy of MGS as well, the 390/390X are a hard sell right now.

If I got a new video card right now I would choose a weaker fury x over the 980 ti. For drivers alone, nvidias drivers are a travesty. Especially on win 10.

If I got a new video card right now I would choose a weaker fury x over the 980 ti. For drivers alone, nvidias drivers are a travesty. Especially on win 10.

How so? I'm running dual 980tis and everything is fine and dandy in Windows 10.

I don't have a problem on Win10 with my GTX 750 Ti. Played games, watched videos, and everything.

Dual 980s here. No problems with Windows 10... And I'm using a monitor that requires custom EDID overrides to work properly.

Go check the Nvidia subforum on reddit, I'd rather not take my chances.

Don't really need to. Mine and the vast majority of people on [H] and Anand are doing just fine. But feel free to spend your money how you feel you should.

Win10 has been perfectly fine on my 980 since I upgraded. I didn't do do a fresh install of the OS (yet), just an in place upgrade and it's all good.

And regardless of that fact, most people had this sorted out already. He's made no comment on having these problems himself, and would willingly make a worse investment based off of shit he's probably only read and not experienced while the grand majority of people running Nvidia cards have been just fine.

Utter nonsense.

Just like the grand majority of people didn't have TDR issues...? Even though Nvidia released an official driver fix for it.
Just like Kepler didn't suffer performance degradation...? Even though Nvidia released an official driver fix for it.
Just like the 3.5 GB issue is exaggerated...? Even though Nvidia had to backtrack and retroactively alter their spec sheet.

People will try to sweep anything under the rug.
Anyhow, the problems with Win10 were fixed a while ago. But everytime an Nvidia owner says something like "That problem is exaggerated" / "The majority of people have no problems" I can't help but laugh. Sweep any harder and your arms will break off. Just acknowledge when problems happen and when they get fixed, and we can all move on with our lives.

Just like the grand majority of people didn't have TDR issues...? Even though Nvidia released an official driver fix for it.
Just like Kepler didn't suffer performance degradation...? Even though Nvidia released an official driver fix for it.
Just like the 3.5 GB issue is exaggerated...? Even though Nvidia had to backtrack and retroactively alter their spec sheet.

Anyhow, the problems with Win10 were fixed a while ago. But everytime an Nvidia owner says something like "That problem is exaggerated" / "The majority of people have no problems" I can't help but laugh. Sweep any harder and your arms will break off. Just acknowledge when problems happen and when they get fixed, and we can all move on with our lives.

I'm not sweeping anything under the rug. Anyone transitioning to W10 was bound to run into some issue, i'm not saying it was flawless - but like you said, his statement is way exaggerated. To say that their drivers are a travesty? Absolutely rofl.

I would describe the last 6 months as an overall travesty for Nvidia. But not the Windows 10 problems in particular. Those were fixed in a matter of days... Who even cares.

Ever increasing sales and 980Ti's flying off shelves like it's a fire sale surely constitutes an overall travesty for Nvidia. Please, share whatever it is you're taking because it sounds fantastic.

Ever increasing sales and 980Ti's flying off shelves like it's a fire sale surely constitutes an overall travesty for Nvidia. Please, share whatever it is you're taking because it sounds fantastic.
I already told you the issues. None of which are their sales figures.
If the Fury X can survive its lack of HDMI 2.0 and pump whine issues I would think Nvidia could survive some Kepler driver problems.

If a company can fuck up as much as Nvidia has so far in 2015 and yet still increase their sales, that is not something to be celebrated. Funny thing, as I was typing my last post I knew someone would go straight for the sales numbers. Too predictable.

you're delusional and full of hyperbole. If nvidia let those issues go without a fix you would be a 100% right. However, nvidia didn't and they fixed and addressed the issues like they should have.

Amd is in the exact same position and we're just waiting for them to fix their issues.

No one was giving nvidia a free pass, only telling the poster the issues aren't as widespread as he has read. Then here you come trying to white Knight Amd and act like nvidia is the boogeyman. :rolleyes:

you're delusional and full of hyperbole. If nvidia let those issues go without a fix you would be a 100% right. However, nvidia didn't and they fixed and addressed the issues like they should have.

Amd is in the exact same position and we're just waiting for them to fix their issues.

No one was giving nvidia a free pass, only telling the poster the issues aren't as widespread as he has read. Then here you come trying to white Knight Amd and act like nvidia is the boogeyman. :rolleyes:
Before the driver updates came out, you bet your sweet ass people were giving them a pass.
Saw it with my own eyes.

Now that the issues are fixed everybody thinks they're safe to backpedal on that... Nope, lol.

Before driver: "I'm not having any problems with my Nvidia card so those people might just have an issue with their rig, no big deal. It's exaggerated."
After driver: "Nvidia fixed it already so it's a non-issue."

So it's not a real problem up until the point where Nvidia fixes it, at which point it becomes a solved problem so who cares? I wish the community would show AMD that kind of leniency. 80% marketshare speaking loud and clear.

Last edited:
Before the driver updates came out, you bet your sweet ass people were giving them a pass.
Saw it with my own eyes.

Now that the issues are fixed everybody thinks they're safe to backpedal on that... Nope, lol.

Before driver: "I'm not having any problems with my Nvidia card so those people might just have an issue with their rig, no big deal. It's exaggerated."
After driver: "Nvidia fixed it already so it's a non-issue."

So it's not a real problem up until the point where Nvidia fixes it, at which point it becomes a solved problem so who cares? I wish the community would show AMD that kind of leniency. 80% marketshare speaking loud and clear.

As opposed to the apologists that gave AMD a free pass for not having drivers for three months? Or how about the apologists for the grey screen of death issue early on in the lift of the 7950 and 7970? Oh, or all those people that like to apologize for AMD's shitty marketing tactics and lies (yes, I know people have done the same for Nvidia so no need to bring it up). Fanboys exist on both sides of the field bud and they're all fucking annoying.

As opposed to the apologists that gave AMD a free pass for not having drivers for three months? Or how about the apologists for the grey screen of death issue early on in the lift of the 7950 and 7970? Oh, or all those people that like to apologize for AMD's shitty marketing tactics and lies (yes, I know people have done the same for Nvidia so no need to bring it up). Fanboys exist on both sides of the field bud and they're all fucking annoying.
For every 1 AMD apologist there are 10 Nvidia apologists. Just trying to even the playing field.
Probably picked the wrong forum to do it. But hey, the discussion popped up, so here we are.

For every 1 AMD apologist there are 10 Nvidia apologists. Just trying to even the playing field.
Probably picked the wrong forum to do it. But hey, the discussion popped up, so here we are.

Well a lot more people own Nvidia cards so naturally there are going to be a lot more apologists for them.

80% market share. Go figure. No one was giving nvidia a free pass until you popped in and started the conversation. I gave my experience and others chimed in. If we don't have problems how are we supposed to talk about our problems?

Simple fact of the matter is you're the only one in this thread giving a company a free pass. Ironic really.

Back