Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Detailed

The price of graphics cards at the moment is ridiculous. The GTX 660 is way overpriced for a mid range budget card. I only paid £180 for my ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II TOP and I refuse to pay more than £200. How much you betting Nvidia brings out a new GTX 660 some time later with extra cores. I'm skipping this generation. :(
Which would be known as the 680 SE...

Seriously though, the 660 ti is not exactly a mid-range card, considering how closely it performs to the 670 (and if you want to get into more specifics, it's veritably a 670 - same cores, same PCB, only missing one 64-bit controller)

A closer parallel would be the 560 ti 448 than the 560 ti proper.

Any idea when this bitch is going to be for sale? Need to upgrade very badly...

Last edited:
Any idea when this bitch is going to be fore sale? Need to upgrade very badly...

The MSI ended up being 320 instead of 330/350 on top of a $10 rebate and they all include a copy of Borderlands 2 (which I imagine you can sell for a decent sum if you do so quickly). It's already on sale. Unless you'd prefer to wait and get no free game I guess.

The MSI ended up being 320 instead of 330/350 on top of a $10 rebate and they all include a copy of Borderlands 2 (which I imagine you can sell for a decent sum if you do so quickly). It's already on sale. Unless you'd prefer to wait and get no free game I guess.

If you can show me a 660ti for sale on Newegg I would appreciate it, there aren't any listed that I can find. I don't care for a free game, i don't have time to play another :D

I have a MSI 7850 that I paid $250 for 2 months ago, I feel like selling it (probably can get about $200) and getting this card, Borderlands 2 is a BIG draw to me as I will be getting it no matter what.

Do you guys think that's a logical thing to do? I mean was able to OC the 7850 to 1290 core which is a 50% OC and basically 580GTX, but there's just constantly been crashes in game due to driver issues...

How does it work? I don't see anything bundled with my Galaxy 660ti 3GB preorder on NCIX.

Is it anything like the MSI 560 ti where the boxes themselves were packed with copies of NBA 2k11?

Are they going to ALL be multi-fan cards? Almost two years later, stock for stock, $300 buys +19% faster than the past $300 570 card on average, per from TPU perf summary chart (just sayin').

Not sure about every retailer, but the Borderlands 2 offer is on Amazon for pretty much every 660/670/680, as well as some other sites (such as the first one that started selling 660s early which broke the news).

Purchase any qualifying NVIDIA GeFroce GTX 6-series graphics cards and you will receive an e-mail within 7-10 business days with a game code for a free download of Borderlands 2.

The promotion applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. It does not apply to the same products sold by other sellers. Offer ends September 27, 2012, at 11:59 p.m. or while supplies last.

Probably not boxed then. But Amazon isn't the only one with 'em.

MSI 660 Ti for $300 AR looks like the way to go, right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

It's $20 less than the similarly clocked Gigabyte card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125440

Yes, imho the best card together with DCII variant.

The GB cards look cheaply build comparing to other custom cards.....they are reference cards with only better cooling, DCII/PE are fully custom.

Why the snippy callout?

He started in the other thread, and its getting really boring.

Is there an early lead yet as far as quietness / temperature?

I'd go ASUS DC2 on this one. I think their 670 and 680s had some very nice memory overclocks, if I recall correctly. I'd be looking for a card that could do at least 7000mhz on the memory to make up a little bit on the 192-bit bus. MSI PE would be a very close number 2, due to it possibly having unlocked voltages like its older brother.

I have an Asus GTX 580 DC II and I'm itching for an upgrade. My case is too small (and the GTX 580 too big!) to SLI another GTX 580.

Having read some of the reviews (anand, Tom's), it seems like at my resolution (1920x1200) the GTX 660 Ti outperforms my card (slightly) in BF3, my main game.

I can sell my card and for an additional outlay of $60 I can get the Asus GTX 660 Ti DC II version, with a view to getting a second 660 Ti for SLI around Xmas - what do you guys think?

Interesting, after reading around the net, about 7 different reviews, So far the websites are 50%-50% on the card either beating a 7950, or in between a 7950/7870.

I have an Asus GTX 580 DC II and I'm itching for an upgrade. My case is too small (and the GTX 580 too big!) to SLI another GTX 580.

Having read some of the reviews (anand, Tom's), it seems like at my resolution (1920x1200) the GTX 660 Ti outperforms my card (slightly) in BF3, my main game.

I can sell my card and for an additional outlay of $60 I can get the Asus GTX 660 Ti DC II version, with a view to getting a second 660 Ti for SLI around Xmas - what do you guys think?
I think you are being silly to do that. the 660ti is a side grade and can be even a frame or two slower in some games with AA. even a gtx670 is not a great improvement in some games but that would be the lowest card I would upgrade to from a gtx580.

I see Amazon has EVGA 3GB 660 ti cards listed but says temporarily out of stock. Anyone know when they'll be available? Newegg only has 2 versions.

I think you are being silly to do that. the 660ti is a side grade and can be even a frame or two slower in some games with AA. even a gtx670 is not a great improvement in some games but that would be the lowest card I would upgrade to from a gtx580.

I am considering it as a longer term way of getting GTX 660 Ti SLI, would that not be a decent upgrade?

Interesting, after reading around the net, about 7 different reviews, So far the websites are 50%-50% on the card either beating a 7950, or in between a 7950/7870.

I think the takeaway is that the choice between the 7950 and 660 Ti isn't a straight up performance choice. Game selection and other factors such as power consumption, heat, and fan noise will come into play more. I would say from what I've read that the 660 Ti is a better choice all around because its performance is at least competitive if not better and its physical characteristics measure better (power, heat, noise), unless you play one of the games where the 7950 is clearly faster. There are some games where the 7950 is only a few fps faster where the balance would tip back in favor of the 660 Ti due to all of its other benefits. That's just my opinion from reading (mostly skimming the charts) these reviews.

I think the takeaway is that the choice between the 7950 and 660 Ti isn't a straight up performance choice. Game selection and other factors such as power consumption, heat, and fan noise will come into play more. I would say from what I've read that the 660 Ti is a better choice all around because its performance is at least competitive if not better and its physical characteristics measure better (power, heat, noise), unless you play one of the games where the 7950 is clearly faster. There are some games where the 7950 is only a few fps faster where the balance would tip back in favor of the 660 Ti due to all of its other benefits. That's just my opinion from reading (mostly skimming the charts) these reviews.

The 1 review i did see was shocking when AA was involved.

2 660ti's in SLI with 4XAA were only 6% faster then a stock 7970 GE.

$600 for 2 660ti's, $470 for a 7970 GE

Edit: Cannon beat me to it. Shocking

The 1 review i did see was shocking when AA was involved.

2 660ti's in SLI with 4XAA were only 6% faster then a stock 7970 GE.

$600 for 2 660ti's, $470 for a 7970 GE

Edit: Cannon beat me to it. Shocking

Yeah, SLI is another consideration. Straight up single card vs. single card though, and it looks like the 660 Ti is a really good choice.

Yeah, SLI is another consideration. Straight up single card vs. single card though, and it looks like the 660 Ti is a really good choice.

Depends on the website you go to.

Some say its on par with a 7870. Some say its faster then a 7870, but slower then a 7950. Some say its as fast as a 7950.

So its really up to you IMO. The only Kicker is a free Borderlands 2!

P.S. I would like to add, that im seriously think of returning my g/f 7950 MSI to newegg for a refund, and get her a 660TI, Just so I can get a free borderlands 2 LOL

xbitlabs review really shows where the 660ti stands IMO

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-660-ti.html#sect0

Shows the HD7950 with the updated bios, a reference GTX 670, 660ti with a slight factory overclock and max overclock, and a 7870 GE @ stock and max too.

I think Nvidia priced this card exactly where it should be based on those benchmarks.

I would say that the HD7950 is still a better value once you factor in overclockability and even with the slightly high price.

If they priced this a little more aggressively @ $279, it would be a no brainer.

Depends on the website you go to.

They never make it easy, do they?

Some say its on par with a 7870. Some say its faster then a 7870, but slower then a 7950. Some say its as fast as a 7950.

So its really up to you IMO.

Numbers I've seen put it as definitely better than a 7870, and better or worse than a 7950 depending on the game but not by a huge margin either way most of the time. I'd say this card is solidly in the ballpark of the 7950, not the 7870.

The only Kicker is a free Borderlands 2!

P.S. I would like to add, that im seriously think of returning my g/f 7950 MSI to newegg for a refund, and get her a 660TI, Just so I can get a free borderlands 2 LOL

Nice!

I would say that the HD7950 is still a better value once you factor in overclockability and even with the slightly high price.

Could be. Has anybody pushed the 660 Ti yet to see how high it goes though? Kind of a question mark until then.

If they priced this a little more aggressively @ $279, it would be a no brainer.

You can get an Asus for $299 right now at Newegg. I don't think a $20 price drop would make it a no-brainer.

Thinking about upgrading from 5850 to this card but does anyone know if I can run 3 monitors in extended instead of all 3 in one large resolution?

Anyone know what the msrp on the 3gb evga card is, and if there are any reviews for it yet?

Back