Nvidia gtx 600 series with tripple DVI

Does one of these exist that isn't a GTX 690? I don't really want a SLI setup because I run linux but I do want a video card that has 3 DVI ports. Also don't need the 690 as it would be overkill and not to mention more power hungry.

Both the GTX 680 ($500) and the GTX 670 ($400) have two DVI ports, an HDMI port, and a Displayport. If single-link DVI is enough for your third monitor, you can simply use an HDMI->DVI cable for it. If $400 is too much, you could wait and see what a 660 has, whenever that comes out (I've no idea).

HDMI -> DVI adapter is all you need with a 680 for the third monitor. If your monitor does not have HDMI, it's either a. really old, or b. doesn't require the bandwidth of dual-link DVI. HDMI 1.4 is more than enough to support the large 2560x1600 30" monitors.

HDMI -> DVI adapter is all you need with a 680 for the third monitor. If your monitor does not have HDMI, it's either a. really old, or b. doesn't require the bandwidth of dual-link DVI. HDMI 1.4 is more than enough to support the large 2560x1600 30" monitors.

What about C, uses royalty free DisplayPort...

huh? Show me one high resolution monitor (over 1920x1200) which will take HDMI and run the full resolution? Every HDMI port on computer video cards I have seen will not drive past 1920x1200. Also no adapters (AFAIK) to convert HDMI to dual link DVI.

I specifically want 3 dual link DVI ports. Yes I know the display port can be adapted to dual link DVI but the dual link adapter is another $100 and can be very finicky so I prefered to get a video card with as many dual link DVI ports as I can have.

So far I have only seen the gtx 690 that has this =(

One of my monitors runs off two dual link DVI connections (3840x2400@48Hz).

All the newer graphics cards run HDMI 1.4. This started with the GTX 460/HD68xx and newer cards (in terms of time of release). These run up to a max resolution of 4096x2160 at 24 Hz, and HDMI 1.3 was already perfectly capable of pushing 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz.

Edit: I see now. Most monitors do not support it, even if the graphics card is able to support it.

Last edited:
Is this still the case that only the gtx 690 is an option? I believe the 690 is actually like 2 GPU's on a single card right? I wanted to avoid that situation in general but I actually need something that can drive 4 dual link DVI ports at once which means it either needs to have some combination of dual link DVI ports or display ports to add up to 4. HDMI ports will not work for me.

I think HDMI to DL DVI do exist.

You could also get a cheap video card for the extra DVI.

I know I've seen HDMI to DL DVI adapters myself, but I don't believe they change anything in how the two devices see the connection. Many (but not all) displays will likely still be limited to 1920x1080@60 using one of these adapters. Max resolution over HDMI depends more on the display than anything.

Your best bet to get a third DL DVI connection out of a single GPU card would be to get a GTX 660 or higher and use a Display Port to DL-DVI active adapter. Starting at about $85 they're not cheap, but they're a far cry more cost effective than getting a 690 for just this feature:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...l-Link/dp/B0030XMREG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am currently running two gtx 460's. The whole point of this was in order to be able to do it on a single video card which greatly reduces complications I run into on now with linux and composting/acceleration over one X session over multiple GPU's.

It is too bad that the gtx 690 is the only single nvidia card capable of driving four 2560x1600 dual-link DVI displays (with adapters) which is what I need.

Copying and pasting from a post I made elsewhere that explains why DVI Dual Link is not simple to convert to HDMI:

DVI Single Link uses 19 pins and supports up to 1920x1200 at 60Hz, but can't transmit enough data to support 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 at 60Hz, or 1680x1050 at 120Hz.

DVI Dual Link adds 6 more pins to the original 19 to support 2560x1600 and 2560x1440 at 60Hz, and 1920x1080 at 120Hz.

HDMI uses the same 19 pins as DVI Single Link for video (plus other pins for audio), but is able to support the higher resolutions and Hz through those 19 pins by being able to send more data down those 19 pins.

HDMI is able to pass DVI Single Link through its 19 video pins, making conversion extremely simple with no data loss. However, HDMI is not able to pass DVI Dual Link through because it has no way of passing through the extra 6 pins that DVI Dual Link requires. Therefore, when using an HDMI->DVI cable, you will have the same resolution and Hz restrictions as DVI Single Link.

By the way, I've passed along all the feedback here to our R&D team. Triple/Quad DVI sounds like a good idea for an output option to me-- it's one of the things I liked the most about our own MDT quad-display cards. Can't guarantee they'll make it but I at least made it clear you guys want it.

Back