Nvidia GTX 1080 Pre-Orders Sell Out In Minutes

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you managed to snag a GTX 1080 pre-order—congratulations, I guess. You can hit the link in the article for stock information.

Retail availability is set to occur on May 27th this coming Friday but several e-tailers started their first round of pre-orders today. Despite only popping up for a few minutes, Amazon, Newegg and Best Buy all sold out of their pre-orders within minutes. This went for all brands like MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, Zotac and PNY. I guess when they are all reference model Founders Edition, it doesn’t matter too much which card you buy.

never even saw the preorder option.

However - not sure I wanted the LOUD and LOCKED Founders edition

--At 100% the Founders Edition fan noise ramps up quite a bit and to put it plainly, it is very loud. We measure from 3 feet away at ear level with our crappy decibel meter and registered a 55dB reading.--

Last edited:
I can only hope that for me, the more people that pre-order, the fewer in que to step-up at EVGA sometime between 27 May and 20 June.

That's not surprising that it's sold out. The performance is definitely there and those that were able to snag one want to be the first to experience it.

never even saw the preorder option.

However - not sure I wanted the LOUD and LOCKED Founders edition

--At 100% the Founders Edition fan noise ramps up quite a bit and to put it plainly, it is very loud. We measure from 3 feet away at ear level with our crappy decibel meter and registered a 55dB reading.--
I don't believe the fan was meant to be set to 100% but it being loud at that setting should be expected especially for a blower type fan.

GDDRX is the greatest thing since HBM2 came along. lol

The new titan will have HBM2 and i bet one card will blow away two 980 ti in SLI

So if the founders edition cost 700.00 i bet for 400.00 more you get twice the performance

dam i knew those guys who pre ordered should have waited.

1080 power limitation is going to annoy so many people. It's a decent card no doubt but I think I will wait and see what amd brings to the table first. My 290x is doing the job for now tho.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
That's some horse-pooh moves there to do a timed & coordinated silent pre-order a week in advance. that wasn't an accident, that's marketing at work. They really should cancel those orders. Who the hell does that?? 5 manufacturers across 3 major online retailers... I'm sure that was just a accidental glitch.

popcorn-blank_zpssmc4zwx7.gif

Good luck to everyone with the slow sli bridge :)
I'll wait until we see new more with the bridge and faster pcI lanes

Reactions: N4CR
like this
1080 power limitation is going to annoy so many people. It's a decent card no doubt but I think I will wait and see what amd brings to the table first. My 290x is doing the job for now tho.

Right, "wait for Fury" all over again. How people don't understand by now that AMD will always be a day late and a dollar short is baffling. They just don't have the resources to even begin to try to compete. Sad, yes. Reality, yes.

Right, "wait for Fury" all over again. How people don't understand by now that AMD will always be a day late and a dollar short is baffling. They just don't have the resources to even begin to try to compete. Sad, yes. Reality, yes.

290x was better when it came out and then Nvidia went to a 780ti. This is why it pays to wait and see, but if you want to buy one just cause your a fanboy then step right up.

ebay_zps4aj827go.jpg

Most of them seemed to have landed on Ebay.

Pretty ridiculous some of these are selling, considering they won't ship until June 1 at the earliest and there will be plenty of chances to buy them at MSRP on the 27th.

I'm pretty sure all the people who were able to pretend order were using Intel cpus that loaded every th faster.

Really wish amd would catch up with the times.

:)

Oh, and I hate those blower-type coolers.

Something like this is a lot kinder to the ears and works great with a well-ventilated case:

Front-Bottom.jpg

So yeah, waiting to see what the partners come up with. In no hurry at all.

I see you are full of it as usual. Enjoy you $1400 video card that I am pretty sure you bought, right? How about removing that green paint from your face well you are at it? :ROFLMAO::rolleyes: Right now, I have a 980 Ti but, only because I am gaming at 4k and doing crossfire in my case with my former 290x would get to hot. (Not enough ventilation.) No, the 980 Ti does not run all that much cooler at full load well benching with real bench but, one card was at least doable. Personally, I think maybe I should have gone with R9 Nano Crossfire but, the 4GB ram limit would have been hit sooner rather than later.

What was the going price? The real one.
$699.99 USD, so eBay resellers literally doubling the price (plus a penny for that pure profit).

I don't get it... Will waiting a couple of weeks really kill people? Anyone buying from these idiots deserve to be ripped off.

Yes, the performance from a 1080 card is definitely droolworthy. So was the 980. My reaction at the time was "Shut up and take my money." But, I was NOT in the mood to get a reference card, especially when the non-reference GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X OC was so much better. This was part of a new system build (last system build was over seven years old), and made do with my old Palit NE5X460HF1102 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic Platinum Overclocking Edition 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 card (even replacing the heat transfer material) until the card was available in quantity in November, 2014. If I was upgrading from a 460 card now, I would consider getting a 1080.

I don't get it... Will waiting a couple of weeks really kill people? Anyone buying from these idiots deserve to be ripped off.

A fool and his money is soon parted. There are always those folks who have to have the "Day one" release of a product... including the iSheep who line up in front of a Apple store for the newest release of the latest iToy even though their current iToy is perfectly good. (FWIW, I have an Android LG G4, pand previously had a Samsung S3 and a Droid X).

Also, from my reading of the early reviews, it does not appear that, under my current configuration, I would see a benefit from upgrading from a 980 to a 1080 anyways. The big limiting factor is my current 1080p monitor which only does 60 FPS. My wishlist includes a G-sync IPS monitor. And, even then, it is not a priority. I want to build a new FreeNAS box first. Then, upgrade the SSDs to a 1TB capacity.

Yes, the performance from a 1080 card is definitely droolworthy. So was the 980. My reaction at the time was "Shut up and take my money." But, I was NOT in the mood to get a reference card, especially when the non-reference GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X OC was so much better. This was part of a new system build (last system build was over seven years old), and made do with my old Palit NE5X460HF1102 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic Platinum Overclocking Edition 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 card (even replacing the heat transfer material) until the card was available in quantity in November, 2014. If I was upgrading from a 460 card now, I would consider getting a 1080.

A fool and his money is soon parted. There are always those folks who have to have the "Day one" release of a product... including the iSheep who line up in front of a Apple store for the newest release of the latest iToy even though their current iToy is perfectly good. (FWIW, I have an Android LG G4, pand previously had a Samsung S3 and a Droid X).

Also, from my reading of the early reviews, it does not appear that, under my current configuration, I would see a benefit from upgrading from a 980 to a 1080 anyways. The big limiting factor is my current 1080p monitor which only does 60 FPS. My wishlist includes a G-sync IPS monitor. And, even then, it is not a priority. I want to build a new FreeNAS box first. Then, upgrade the SSDs to a 1TB capacity.

TBH, my single 970 at 1080p is perfectly fine. I can play doom with everyone maxed out and the frame counter never moves below 60fps

Back