Nvidia GPUs Might Help You Cook Soon

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
While some Nvidia graphics cards were notorious for getting (nearly) hot enough to cook breakfast, Nvidia seemingly wants to help out in the kitchen in a different way. The company recently established the NVIDIA AI Robotics Research Lab in Seattle, just outside the University of Washington. One of the stated goals of the lab is to "enable the next generation of robots that perform complex manipulation tasks to safely work alongside humans," and in that vein, they've opted to test an Nvidia robotics platform (that's presumably powered by Nvidia machine learning hardware) inside a kitchen. in an interview with IEEE Spectrum, the head of the lab said that the kitchen is a "rich, challenging environment" for a robot, and that it's easy to standardize for robotics research.

Check out the video of Nvidia's kitchen bot here.

The mobile manipulator in the video is Franka Emika's Panda arm mounted on top of an NVIDIA development platform. The plan is to eventually upgrade the robot to dual arms, probably an omnidirectional base, and definitely more integrated sensors. The sensors in particular are key to what NVIDIA wants to focus on, which is getting robots to safely and effectively work around (and with) humans. But there's a lot more research that goes into making useful human-friendly robots: grasping, manipulation, computer vision, object recognition, human-robot interaction and collaboration-the company has plenty of work to do.

When they burn, you could cook on it. Admittedly, that's be the bad touch bacon - I wouldn't want to eat anything heated over the smoldering remains of some poor [H]'s prized rig.

All they are doing is teaching them more creative ways to KILL US ALL!

yas8gg9dms111.jpg

So when people were asked what they would do if Netflix removed one of the main draws to Netflix, people basically said screw you!

Who woulda thunk it? :rolleyes:

While some Nvidia graphics cards were notorious for getting (nearly) hot enough to cook breakfast, Nvidia seemingly wants to help out in the kitchen in a different way. The company recently established the NVIDIA AI Robotics Research Lab in Seattle, just outside the University of Washington. One of the stated goals of the lab is to "enable the next generation of robots that perform complex manipulation tasks to safely work alongside humans," and in that vein, they've opted to test an Nvidia robotics platform (that's presumably powered by Nvidia machine learning hardware) inside a kitchen. in an interview with IEEE Spectrum, the head of the lab said that the kitchen is a "rich, challenging environment" for a robot, and that it's easy to standardize for robotics research.

Check out the video of Nvidia's kitchen bot here.

The mobile manipulator in the video is Franka Emika's Panda arm mounted on top of an NVIDIA development platform. The plan is to eventually upgrade the robot to dual arms, probably an omnidirectional base, and definitely more integrated sensors. The sensors in particular are key to what NVIDIA wants to focus on, which is getting robots to safely and effectively work around (and with) humans. But there's a lot more research that goes into making useful human-friendly robots: grasping, manipulation, computer vision, object recognition, human-robot interaction and collaboration-the company has plenty of work to do.

I hate to break it to you but nVidia's been helping people cook since the Maxwell(or was it Fermi?) days

halfway thru it opening that drawer I would have said fuck it and went to Wendy's.

No Nvidia, no. If this ever works to any extent is becuase the humans around this shit are adapting to it, not the other way around.

But people have been stewing for years over the many different controversies that Nvidia has caused so you could say that they have been helping with cooking for years. To be fair, AMD has been as well. :ROFLMAO:

This is a really big field right now and nVidia would be silly if they didn't look into it, a very large population of the planet is getting old and they already know we don't have enough "younger" people to help out in assisted living and other facilities, getting robots into play is a literal race against time and will be a multi billion dollar market in the next 10+ years.

This is a really big field right now and nVidia would be silly if they didn't look into it, a very large population of the planet is getting old and they already know we don't have enough "younger" people to help out in assisted living and other facilities, getting robots into play is a literal race against time and will be a multi billion dollar market in the next 10+ years.
There is going on 8 billion people in the planet.. lack of 'people' is not an issue.

There is going on 8 billion people in the planet.. lack of 'people' is not an issue.
Something like 40% of the worlds population will be over 70 in the next 10 years, so while there are a crap load of people there still wont be enough assisted care givers and other trained professionals.

Pretty sure a friend still has one of his old 8800 Ultras. Nvidia did a good job helping people cook with those cards, especially when you had them in SLI.

Western and Asian nations are all aging and shrinking. Most Population growth is coming from Africa.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...in-africa-grasping-the-scale-of-the-challenge

I think that's his point. Because populations are aging and shrinking there are no young people to take care of the mass of old decrepit people created when the population was growing. It's the same reason social security will fail soon. Instead 100 people supporting 10 people you will have 10 people trying to support 100. (except in Africa lol). Sufficiently sophisticated robots could help make up the slack.

I think that's his point. Because populations are aging and shrinking there are no young people to take care of the mass of old decrepit people created when the population was growing. It's the same reason social security will fail soon. Instead 100 people supporting 10 people you will have 10 people trying to support 100. (except in Africa lol). Sufficiently sophisticated robots could help make up the slack.
That is exactly my point.

When they say kitchen, they mean fast food and commercial volume kitchen. Real, upscale, 50-100 seat restaurants won't likely afford this in my lifetime.

Something like 40% of the worlds population will be over 70 in the next 10 years, so while there are a crap load of people there still wont be enough assisted care givers and other trained professionals.
The only thing we lack is proper priorities.

Nvidia GPUs Might Help You Cook Soon

I've already posted in the past how I thawed some frozen steaks on top of my HAF 932 case back when it had 1080 SLI. Took a couple a hours and my wife kept coming in to ask why it smelled s good. I'll update this summer with the 2080TI. :)

Part of me really wanted this to be a GPU flamethrower ala:

Would make PCIE extenders suddenly way more awesome.

I for one think this is pretty cool! I can't even pretend to understand the math which is at work here. From a laymen's perspective it looks like robotics are replacing processing power as the new bottleneck.

Good old GTX 480, at least Nvidia learned not to have exposed metal connected to HSF of an extremely hot GPU. It take a few hours, but can literally cook an egg on that thing.

One of my mates still uses his GTX 480 daily. Can't believe it still runs after all this time.

Teenagers in 2029: "What do you mean you first job was a line cook? What's a line cook? No way, everyone knows robot hands didn't cut the vegetables for the chefs of the world.

Oh, I'm sure dad. Next you're going to tell me you unpacked the boxes of new product and put them into the cupboards, shelves and refigerators yourself and there was no such thing as a stocking robot."

Last edited:
Back