Nvidia GPUs made by Intel look like they're actually going to be a thing

erek

[H]F Junkie
Will it have a role in saving Intel?

“Admittedly, Nvidia did go to Samsung for its Ampere generation of GPUs including the RTX 3090(opens in new tab). So TSMC isn't literally the only option. But Ampere, though fairly effective in performance terms, was a pretty inefficient architecture, in no small part thanks to the characteristics of Samsung's 8nm node, which most industry observers consider far inferior to TSCM's 7nm technology of the time.

Anyway, it's not a nailed on certainty that Nvidia GPUs will be made by Intel. Heck, it's far from guaranteed that Intel will get its manufacturing technology sufficiently up to speed that Nvidia will even want to use it. But Nvidia graphics made by Intel very much seems to be the plan. And that will take some getting used to.”

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-gpus-made-by-intel-look-like-theyre-actually-going-to-be-a-thing/

You never want your fabs idling, so it makes sense if there is availability that intel would sell that time out and it goes to the highest bidder.

more like who ever will accept the heavily discounted fab time.. ;) if nvidia was to do it though i think it could be another ampere where the consumer sides produced by intel and TSMC continues to produce the enterprise products. other option is that if they're really thinking of going to an MCM design so part could be produced by Intel and another by TSMC like AMD was going with glofo and TSMC for ryzen.

I doubt GPU’s even Intel doesn’t have their own fabs making those chips any time soon.
But Nvidia makes a lot of other chips, their Grace CPU’s, their infiniBand networking components, all their NVLink hardware too.

TSMC does some things better than anybody else and Intel others. GPU’s belong to TSMC until Intel can tighten up their fin pinch which is a 2025 goal at the earliest assuming no setbacks. Intel does onboard error correction and hardware redundancy like nobody’s business. 2.5/5G aside because that whole “standard” is a mess, literally 3 goblins in a trench coat pretending to be a product, Intel does high speed network switching silicon better than anybody.

didnt know intel needed saving, outside of the AMD chug fest here.

Yeah I always thought this was gonna be Mellanox stuff and the like myself

Back