Nvidia GPU game promos will now be tied to the GPU + GFE

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
No more selling/trading your promo games. You also have to use GeForce Experience to claim the codes.
It might still work if you already own the GPU being used in the bundle.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-promo-games-tied-to-gpu

“Game coupon codes offered as part of a qualifying GPU or PC purchase are intended for use by the purchaser,” says the Nvidia FAQ.

“As part of the coupon redemption process, Nvidia uses GeForce Experience to perform a hardware verification step to ensure the coupon code is redeemed on the system with the qualifying GPU.”

“Game coupon codes offered as part of a qualifying GPU or PC purchase are intended for use by the purchaser,” say Nvidia. “Redeeming the code on a qualifying system helps Nvidia verify the game is redeemed by the purchaser.”

You can see the redemption process here:
http://www.geforce.com/redeem-instructions

Last edited:
Well if the new For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands are for 1080 cards, I have nothing to fear :D

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

No more selling/trading your promo games. You also have to use GeForce Experience to claim the codes.

“Game coupon codes offered as part of a qualifying GPU or PC purchase are intended for use by the purchaser,” says the Nvidia FAQ.

“As part of the coupon redemption process, Nvidia uses GeForce Experience to perform a hardware verification step to ensure the coupon code is redeemed on the system with the qualifying GPU.”

“Game coupon codes offered as part of a qualifying GPU or PC purchase are intended for use by the purchaser,” say Nvidia. “Redeeming the code on a qualifying system helps Nvidia verify the game is redeemed by the purchaser.”

Well that has me sighing.
Annoying to say the least, all they are doing is ensuring their deals only entice some buyers as others will be put off the idea of installing GFE and so the software is meaningless to them and not seen as being cost competitive.
Yeah some may say you can install and then uninstall GFE, but crap like this is just that... it will leave a skid mark on the system that needs thorough cleaning :)

Cheers

That sux but then again, never really bought a card because of its game bundles. And when I did which was Qauke, kept the game.

That sux but then again, never really bought a card because of its game bundles. And when I did which was Qauke, kept the game.

Same. I buy the card at launch, evga step or used. Game bundles come after I have made a purchase.
I'm sure the pubs wanted this more than Nvidia though. They want more retail buyers of the game.

Game codes do come in handy when a game I'm not that excited for is being sold for $25.

Not liking this at all. I don't want GFE since it requires an account sign up and agreement to a ToS that I don't agree with. Yeah you could technically just install, sign up, get your game(s), then uninstall but you can't exactly unsign up for that GFE account as they keep your info forever.

NVIDIA continues to lose my respect...
Your respect is not needed, Nvidia does not care about your respect. ;)

Can't say I'm surprised. There have been countless games over the years that you could buy for $25-$30 either before or shortly after release. The second hand key market was probably hurting crucial launch-window sales, which in turn surely makes it harder for Nvidia to secure those games. For y'all upset about this... the choice for Nvidia was probably to create measures to keep the games from being resold, or stop bundling in games. If you don't want to use GFE, the net result is the same for you either way, no free game. But really, you can't be surprised. Also, getting upset with Nvidia for doing what they are likely being forced to do to continue to give people free stuff is a bit stupid.

Just brainstorming, but what if you installed GFE on a VM long enough to register your code, then deleted that machine? Wouldn't help those without the proper card to register, but should allow those with the proper gear to register their code without messing up their system with bloatware.

I'll ask my buddy this tonight when he gets off.

Can't say I'm surprised. There have been countless games over the years that you could buy for $25-$30 either before or shortly after release. The second hand key market was probably hurting crucial launch-window sales, which in turn surely makes it harder for Nvidia to secure those games. For y'all upset about this... the choice for Nvidia was probably to create measures to keep the games from being resold, or stop bundling in games. If you don't want to use GFE, the net result is the same for you either way, no free game. But really, you can't be surprised. Also, getting upset with Nvidia for doing what they are likely being forced to do to continue to give people free stuff is a bit stupid.
It is not really free though, it is an alternative incentive to lowering prices.
If AMD end up doing the same I would agree, until then I think it is fair to be critical of Nvidia now forcing this incentive to use another service (that not everyone wants) from Nvidia.
Cheers

The games aren't free at all. They are a part of a promotion to entice you to purchase the card. I see them as a discount on the video card. If you had a $60 mail in rebate would you be happy to toss it in the trash? Would you install bloatware for a $60 discount on a video card?

For those that don't want GFE, it is considered bloatware to them. For others it might be the best thing that happened to their PC. Both groups are 100% right as their opinion should matter to them and Nvidia.

Now I agree that it's to keep publishers happy. It is what it is.

It is not really free though, it is an alternative incentive to lowering prices.
If AMD end up doing the same I would agree, until then I think it is fair to be critical of Nvidia now forcing this incentive to use another service (that not everyone wants) from Nvidia.
Cheers
The games aren't free at all. They are a part of a promotion to entice you to purchase the card. I see them as a discount on the video card. If you had a $60 mail in rebate would you be happy to toss it in the trash? Would you install bloatware for a $60 discount on a video card?

For those that don't want GFE, it is considered bloatware to them. For others it might be the best thing that happened to their PC. Both groups are 100% right as their opinion should matter to them and Nvidia.

I get what y'all are saying about it being an incentive to buy. I also understand that there are plenty of people who don't want to install GFE. Either way, I don't think getting GFE on your machine is the primary motivator here. There's no way these GPU tie-ins didn't affect retail sales on the games they included. This is a way to entice publishers to continue to work with Nvidia, which was probably getting challenging (or expensive) for them. I truly believe the choice was this or not at all.

Fuck the publishers, I'd rather have the price of the card lowered than forced to subsidize a shit game. And there are a host of other reasons this is bad. What if you already own the game, are not interested in said game, etc etc. They are taking away your freedom to use bundle as you see fit. Not sure how this is kosher.

Fuck the publishers, I'd rather have the price of the card lowered than forced to subsidize a shit game. And there are a host of other reasons this is bad. What if you already own the game, are not interested in said game, etc etc. They are taking away your freedom to use bundle as you see fit. Not sure how this is kosher.

The keys with bundles have always been marked as "Not For Resell" you were not supposed to sell them in the first place. You do not have the right to do what you want with a game key. Keys are a licensing agreement between you and the publisher with specific limits placed on what you are and are not allowed to do with it. Publishers have the legal right to stipulate exactly who is allowed to use the key and how it is activated.

It's an unfortunate situation but given the amount of keys from these bundles being sold it was inevitable. Especially when we're talking about shit publishers like Ubisoft.

I have a 2nd test system on a separate hard drive so I'll install GFE on that to redeem the code, uninstall it and use the code on my main rig to play the game

GFE really has only one purpose: to convince you to give your data to nVidia so they can make money off of the collective you to third parties.

FWIW Microsoft gets tons of data off of me because I'm in the Insider Program and I get to use Windows 10 'for free' because I am willing to part with my data to Microsoft for whatever they want to do with it. Purportedly they're using it to enhance the 'Windows experience' but I am sure that data is released to third parties for profit. I don't use GFE because 1) I am used to setting up my own games thank you very much (been doing that for 20+ years), and 2) it's another process running on my computer that I don't need (yes, I turn off unused or unnecessary processes).

If you have an online presence and are not using a burner account, somewhere your data is being used for profit. So, unless you have zero online presence, the anger over GFE just seems a little excessive, IMO.

People can expect AMD to do the same.

Nvidia and AMD doesn't care what you do with your free game. The publishers however do care a lot because its those losing big money every time someone sells their code.

You can buy a 370$ GTX1070 with 120$ worth of games. And I can guarantee you Nvidia didn't pay 120$ for it.

Is this related to them requiring the Geforce Experience thing to activate the games? (I read about that the other day)

Last edited:
People can expect AMD to do the same.

Nvidia and AMD doesn't care what you do with your free game. The publishers however do care a lot because its those losing big money every time someone sells their code.

You can buy a 370$ GTX1070 with 120$ worth of games. And I can guarantee you Nvidia didn't pay 120$ for it.
Ironically, AMD already does it.

https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/

Download the AMD Product Verification Tool and follow the instructions to redeem your game.

Ok so no more free games says pubs because of resellers....
Forums will go wild.

Now what if they start to bundle 2-3 games because now the pubs are protected against resell.
Forms will still go wild because of said "spyware".

Lose lose when it comes to enthusiasts.

Why is it that Nvidia continues to try and piss off their customer base lately? If I were them I'd be minding my Ps and Qs with all of the hype surrounding Vega and it's upcoming release.

I haven't touched an AMD/ATI card in well over ten years (probably longer, since the X800XT era) and I'm honestly interested in what Vega will bring to the table, especially with the stupid shit Nvidia has been doing lately.

Why is it that Nvidia continues to try and piss off their customer base lately? If I were them I'd be minding my Ps and Qs with all of the hype surrounding Vega and it's upcoming release.

I haven't touched an AMD/ATI card in well over ten years (probably longer, since the X800XT era) and I'm honestly interested in what Vega will bring to the table, especially with the stupid shit Nvidia has been doing lately.
And yet you failed to read the post right above you.

"And yet" it doesn't make my question any less valid.

Jesus, I swear some people just sit around and practice the fine art of being a sarcastic asshole online...

Last edited:
Is this new redemption process retroactive? I have some codes for Watchdogs 2 from hardware purchased a couple of months ago that I've been meaning to give away. Nvidia's Terms & Conditions say nothing that would prohibit giving the game code away.

BTW, Samsung is still offering Watchdogs 2 with the purchase of select monitors and SSDs. This should be interesting. "To claim your new game, you must display Samsung's website on a qualifying monitor to successfully validate your code."

is Amazon no longer an Nvidia partner with these GPU bundles??...I don't see them listed as a partner anymore...maybe after the Gears of War 4 issue they dropped Amazon

Maybe worth changing the title to include AMD now.
Lots of sites picking up on Nvidia but all miss that AMD do this as well.
Cheers
Most people aren't aware of it because they don't buy AMD products or AMD doesn't run many game promos. I wasn't even aware of it when I made the thread!

I will say it's been hilarious to watch people crucify Nvidia over this, let alone the fact that it's most likely publishers forcing them to do it. Faux outrage at its finest.

Most people aren't aware of it because they don't buy AMD products or AMD doesn't run many game promos. I wasn't even aware of it when I made the thread!

I will say it's been hilarious to watch people crucify Nvidia over this, let alone the fact that it's most likely publishers forcing them to do it. Faux outrage at its finest.

Well now we know AMD does the same, they both should be criticised.
Although I appreciate this may be in response to people selling these to CDKeys/etc or even worst buy a card then redeem the game followed by returning the card next day.
Yeah seems some are doing that lol.
But I dislike the idea of them 'offering' games as a way to suggest prices are better while also forcing one to use their service, when the best solution would be to just lower the card MSRP in the 1st place and not bother with game bundle.
Cheers

"And yet" it doesn't make my question any less valid.

Jesus, I swear some people just sit around and practice the fine art of being a sarcastic asshole online...
Your question is conpletely invalid.
1. Publishers are the one who want things to be done this way.
2. AMD is doing that "stupid shit" too. Using the game code as a factor to justify switching to AMD made the whole question completely invalid.

I imagine it wouldn't be THAT difficult for someone to write a program to spoof your video card's hardware ID, etc. to GFE

Back