NVIDIA GPU End of Life Rumors

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
For those wondering if the almost-just-launched GeForce 9800 GX2 would be sticking around for a while, don’t bet on it. Seems as if it will go EOL somewhere around the end of June or July, depending on sales, or lack thereof. The just-launched GeForce 9800 GTX will be evaluated for EOL in the same time frame. Should AMD’s RV700 performance look to be a threatening part to Team Green, we will then see the “9900 GTX” be brought to life. So this would all seem to tell us that we should expect AMD’s next-gen Radeon around the end of Q2 / beginning of Q3 time frame…this year. The ever-popular GeForce 8800 GT will be renamed the 9800 GT and be given some of the additional, but not yet functional features of Hybrid SLI. There will be some lower end migrations of 8600 series parts to GDDR3 memories and they will get bumped to 9500 series names. And certainly the GeForce 9600 GT will be left the hell alone through year end in order to continue its marathon sales crusade! And some of those 100,000 “8800 GS” GPUs are still floating around after having been out of the reach of even folks with 10 foot poles…enter the GeForce 9600 GSO (Gpu Still Offensive?).

Update 04/03/08 - 8:41amCDT: http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzE1NzUsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Our NVIDIA GPU EOL Rumors post got some people talking yesterday and asking questions, so we wanted to help out with some more specific answers.

We mentioned that the GeForce 8800 GT will be renamed the “9800 GT” gaining some Hybrid SLI features. Along with that, you will see the GeForce 9800 GT represent a die shrink to 55nm as well. It seems as though the 55nm changes will be running and will possibly stretch across both model numbers. Yes, smaller, cooler GT cards which is certainly a good thing. It is also being rumored that the 9800 GTS will be a 55nm part as well.

9900 GTX and 9900 GTS are rumored to be brand new parts, not re-spins of current GPUs, but this is far from being confirmed through multiple sources. I am expecting to see these parts return to $450+ levels depending on what we see AMD do with R700.

It is still just a bit too early for solid details but we will of course pass along what we can when we can.

How would this affect the 3850X2, 3870 and 3870X2 EOL as well with RV700 being brought out?

I've made a thread about it, but I will say it again. I am NOT happy with the way things are going for either company. I am tired of all seeing all of these "sidestep" cards that are being released. I think Nvidia should have stopped with the 8800gt until they actually had something that was a true upgrade to the Ultra.

I agree with you on that, though the 9800gx2 does server its purpose well in my rig.

When you say tat the 8800gt will be renamed at the 9800gt, do you REALLY mean renamed? Do you mean it will be roughly the same, or EXACTLY the same. Like same hardware with hybrid sli added?

If it's just the addition of hybrid sli, I don't like that. I would rather see a re-released 8800gt "hybrid" or "green" edition, not a new name. It's deceiving...

Such a quick card change lineup is not too surprising since the Geforce 9 series in most part, is just a "enhancement" of the Geforce 8 series of cards. I'll be interested what the 9900 series can do. (Man, I just bought a 8800GTS 512......) ;)

so no 8800gts 512mb refresh? its not like I need it, but it would be nice if a new card came out within my step up period (80 days) that gave same performance but with lower temp and wattage usage

Hm... so perhaps if one of us ever had to RMA a 9800GTX and it's already past its EOL, PERHAPS.. they could upgrade us to a 9900 card? :D

Not that I'd plan on doing that. Seriously.

This looks like a late April 1st fools joke, but hey, stranger things have happened.

8800GTS refesh is already here. You may know it better as the 9800GTX.

Hmmm....hopefully we will see this new "9900 GTX" card before July since I just bought a 8800GTX at the end of March and hoping to see a reason to use the EVGA "step-up" program.

With the life of the 9800 GX2 so short will we see another GX2 style card with the 9900 series then?

wtf - when did it become "okay" to rename a card to make it "sound" better with the future product line?

When is the last time you heard of BMW releasing a 3-series car and then 6 month later slap a tiny pointless accessory on it and call it a 5-series?

If you are going to come out with a new product PLEASE do - but dont rename the shit you already have just to confuse people even more.

I like nVidia - i really do, but they are testing my patience with bullshit like this.

well this is all a little fucked. oh well it's not like we haven't seen this before. Just nvidia milking their customers as much as they greedily can. Or it could just be them throwing ideas out there can seeing what sticks.

QFT

I was thinking the exact same thing :)

I really hope AMD-ATI gets its act together and puts out some decent competition for Nvidia. Else, we will keep getting these re-hashed cards for a while..

*Hits the floor laughing*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

If ATI can get their next card to bitch slap the 9900GTX's there's going to be some serious ass whopping for nvidia when 08Q4 sales data shows up. Hopefully this is just some late April Fools.

When did it become okay to rename a product?
Answer.
Ever since everybody who bought a geforce 9800gx2 and 9800gtx. The only true card in the 9 series that was truly a 9 is the 9600. near 8800 gt performance but for 50-80 dollars less with a lot less shaders.

In all honestly nvidia should of named the 8800gt 9800gt right away and started from there with all the g92 core cards since there was quite a gap between the g80 cards.

Again, why I'm happy I bought my 8800GTS (G92) cards. Under $240 each at the time and no different then the 9800GTX other then name and clock speeds.

This fucking sucks.

I am 90% done building my new system that I went through TONS of shit deciding Crossfire, no SLi, no Crossfire, no SLi!

So I ditched the reliable, yet slightly slower ATI, for an SLi enabled motherboard with plans to purchase 2 9600GT's.

Now fucking nvidia is kicking all the shit to an EOL status?!

Man what the fuck guys?

Real question: What the fuck does it matter to you guys if its EOL or not? Its not like your cards will self-destruct, or that drivers will stop being updated. It only means that it will stop shipping them in quantity to retailers, and start shipping something else instead. People around here think everything is the damn end of the world.

I've also heard the rumour that there will be a 9900GX2 variant as well to replace the 9800GX2. Can you comment on this Kyle?

Real question: What the fuck does it matter to you guys if its EOL or not? Its not like your cards will self-destruct, or that drivers will stop being updated. It only means that it will stop shipping them in quantity to retailers, and start shipping something else instead. People around here think everything is the damn end of the world.

It also means if that you have to RMA your card you might just get a better one for free. :D

My "refreshed" 8800GTS only cost me $10.59. I can live with that... 'til the 9900 series or ATI makes a big comeback.

Dam I was planning on upgrading. Looks like I'll wait another 6 months..

GS, GT,GTS,GTX,SLI,CROSSFIREX,TRIPLESLI,QUADSLI,3870,3870X2,8800,9900,3850,9600,CROSSFIRE. YIKES!

Wo let me take a puff of my Asthma pump!!!

So let me get this straight...

8800 GS = 8800 GT 256MB < 8800 GTS 320MB < 9600 GT < or = 8800 GTS 640MB < 8800 GT 512MB = 9800 GT < 8800 GTX < or = 8800 GTS 512MB < 9800 GTX < 8800 Ultra < 9900 GTX

Thanks for not making it confusing Nvidia.

8800 GS = 8800 GT 256MB < 8800 GTS 320MB < 9600 GT < or = 8800 GTS 640MB < 8800 GT 512MB = 9800 GT < 8800 GTX < or = 8800 GTS 512MB < 9800 GTX < 8800 Ultra < 9900 GTX

My head hurts again...

This is what happens when there is no *serious* competition.

Nvidia only rises to the occasion when they are under pressure. IMO they don't know how to "coast" or take a breather, so they suck at it. We need AMD to drop a bomb card and wake their asses up.

If we could get charts like this for both companies agreed upon and stickied, half the threads on this board could be answered before a new thread is started.

What a cluster... now why can't I get any of those cards in AGP??

8/9-series chips are not compatible with AGP. For whatever reason Nvidia decided it would be too much work to design a bridge chip that would work for it. Even ATI's latest AGP models are a little more... glitchy than their PCI Express counterparts, due to a bridge chip also being required.

Time for a new mobo friend ;)

so does this mean that the "life time" warranties will be next to useless if they are going EOL

so does this mean that the "life time" warranties will be next to useless if they are going EOL

Nope, warrantys don't expire when a card goes EOL. Thats why I'm not understanding why so many people seem upset about this.

In fact, it means that if you wait long enough and have to RMA your card, you may get a newer model back. (Since they may no longer have any of these to give out.)

Seems like the 7800-->7900->8800 series is playing out again, with a couple of months shorter this time. After I snagged a pair of 7800GTX512s on there debut only to see it's EOL occur 4 months later (and support seemingly) and then again with a 7950GX2 for another system, it sorta threw a wrench in any future video card enthusiasm for myself.

Back