NVIDIA GK104 Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's ULPS?

Ultra Low Power State, these cards have issues where they get stuck in it and won't flip off until you reboot, and then after awhile (hours) get stuck in it again. With the card sharing a PC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4, this is an unacceptable flaw, well past being an annoyance of having to reboot every few hours. The only fix available is an unofficial hack-job that may not even work in the next driver set.

As the guy above me said... if I'm paying in $1k or more to your cards, you better have the drivers to make them work well. It's not like these are two-dollar Matchbox cars. I expect and require an actual complete, fully-working product when I'm plunking down this kind of cash. I'm paying these prices to have a flawless, top-notch gaming experience, not fiddle with the drivers that keep crashing.

Your "single" 7970 works fine. Awesome. But you have no experience with CF in the 7970 series, judging from your post. Your 6900 series CF experience does not transfer nor apply. It "should" but it does not, because the drivers are so bad for the 7900 series cards. The amount of issues I encountered with CF and Eyefinity on the 2 7970s I bought was ridiculous.

If you read my posts you will find the part where I mentioned I had CF 6970s and found them to be far to problematic. So I know CF causes issues, more so for the 7970 due to the beta status of the drivers. On the other hand others have been having no serious problems. My point is that mine or yours, or indeed GoldenTiger's experience does not = everyone elses. So proclaiming ALL 7900 series cards as "boderline deffective" is fallacious.

I don't know what AMD did to their drivers, but they jacked up CF and Eyefinity badly. So badly, in fact, that I just returned them and went back to my old 460s until AMD gets their shit together (doubtful) or Nvidia releases their new cards. I'm not willing to wait around with $1100 worth of electronics that may or may not actually work correctly in the games I play at some distant point in time..

That is your prerogative, I felt the same way with my HD 6970s and my GTX 460s. I have vowed after having many different CF or SLI setups that I would never go multi GPU again. Yet I naively end up going multi GPU sometime down the line when I think, "surely they must have this working better since the last time".

The issues I encountered in the short time I owned them included, but was not limited to:

Stuttering and dropped frames (Star Wars TOR, which went away if I turned off CF and Eyefinity)
Tearing... bad tearing (every game)
Graphical glitches (Skyrim)
Graphical glitches and anomolies (Civ 4)
Poor performance (Dungeon Defenders)
Did I mention tearing?, Eyefinity broken, general poor performance (Dungeon Siege 3)
during boot, I never even got to see the POST process because the damn cards took so long to sync with my monitors. That's just unacceptable.

And in case you're wondering, this is all after I reinstalled Windows....

I had many of the same problems with both SLI and CF in the past.

Graphical glitches
Negative scaling
Serious stuttering even though FPS was high.
Game lockups when multi GPU was enabled.
Sometime have to wait months for proper working CF or SLI profiles.

My experience is that multi GPU works well for most AAA games, but for sims it sucked big time.

After I sent those cards back, I reinstalled Windows again, reinstalled all my games... and all those problems listed above went away. Sure, my framerates might not be great with my 460s, but framerate isn't everything. Hassle free and glitch free gaming is more important to me because that's what I got these for.

I agree, that is why I always prefer single GPU setups. I think it us unforgivable that AMD released 7970 drivers in such a shoddy state for CF and Eyefinity users. I will not, and should not defend them for this behaviour. What I won't do is proclaim the 7900 series as "borderline deffective" because of it.

What I won't do is proclaim the 7900 series as "borderline deffective" because of it.

I said I would call the cards I have had that in my experience, not that the whole series was :rolleyes:. Don't make things up.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665063 was my 7970, since returned. You people... Wow. I'm no fanboy, I try what is good at the time and return it if it sucks. The 7950 I am now using is going back soon... Ulps issues ahoy! Still I wonder why you're in the nvidia forum when you clearly don't care for them or care at all about gk104?

Ah, the old faithful, "stop posting on our forum if you aren't interested in Nvidia". I am interested in GK104 and any new GPU that Nvidia will produce, after all if they are good enough I will purchase one in a heartbeat.

Kepler is never coming, not even in the middle of this month.

The two of you better take your bickering to PM or you will no longer have access to this forum. May I suggest the Ignore feature as well?

I think NVIDIA put a bunch of disinformation out here very recently as to clocks and prices and such. Not sure what is going on yet. But we hear from China that GPU have been delivered in very small quantities and building should be moving forward very soon. So things are rolling and getting much much closer.

Haha :).

Sounds like a plan ;).

Welp GT, I apologize about the somewhat inflammatory comment earlier. I guess we all have our reasons for rooting for the brands that we do, I like rooting for the underdog and i'm sure you have your reasons as well. I can totally understand why some people really like nvidia, they really built a great user experience with their products. I do stress that performance trumps all of this, for the past 3 generations i've always bought nvidia cards because they beat ATI (except for 5870), even though I do like pulling for ATI/AMD. There, so sue me :( You got your reasons. I do look forward to GK104 though, hopefully the answers will be put to rest soon :cool:

I was hoping Nvidia would have released some information by now, because my 7970 is nearly a month old now. When I bought it I was like, sure why not? It's a great card, and hell Nvidia is supposed to release some information on Kepler over the next month to stay on top of the game. So if Kepler really does dominate the 7xxx series, I'll just return it! Nope, that plan sure as hell failed. Haha

Welp GT, I apologize about the somewhat inflammatory comment earlier. I guess we all have our reasons for rooting for the brands that we do, I like rooting for the underdog and i'm sure you have your reasons as well. I can totally understand why some people really like nvidia, they really built a great user experience with their products. I do stress that performance trumps all of this, for the past 3 generations i've always bought nvidia cards because they beat ATI (except for 5870), even though I do like pulling for ATI/AMD. There, so sue me :( You got your reasons. I do look forward to GK104 though, hopefully the answers will be put to rest soon :cool:

I appreciate your apology :), and we'll have to just agree to disagree as you said.

March 23rd?

http://www.techpowerup.com/161587/GK104-Based-Products-Arriving-March-23.html

and...

Large fan cut-out...
gk104a.png

...with stacked PCI-E power connectors to add more room for it?

gk104c.png

gk104b.png

Interesting.

Sources originally from (have been taken down now):

Olivon said:

Thanks Olivon of XS for finding these.

Stacked power connectors would be ok...as long as it fitted within the space of a single slot. Otherwise it would be annoying for watercooled setups (the slot below would be encroached on). The top diagram does show a 8 pin with a 6 pin next to it, as does the board, so it might be optional? Still this is all still rumors. :D

I wish they'd make all the components green on a black board...

March 23rd?

http://www.techpowerup.com/161587/GK104-Based-Products-Arriving-March-23.html

and...

Large fan cut-out...

...with stacked PCI-E power connectors to add more room for it?

gk104b.png

Interesting.

Sources originally from (have been taken down now):

Thanks Olivon of XS for finding these.

Nice find man. March 23rd....interesting. Of course could just be opinions.

Either way im waiting!....but I REALLY HATE that stacked PCI-E Idea....Yea I do not like it at all.

But a stacked PCI-E wont stop me from getting kepler if the price/performance is there.

Last edited:
I'd be happy if it did have 2 DVIs though mainly because I currently use 2 DVIs for my monitors, and don't want to use one HDMI and one DVI... I dunno...

I don't think anyone is projecting gk104 to beat 7970, and even if it does, who cares? You're not going to sperg over PC hardware are you? :cool:

It's going to have to be a great card to beat the hot deal I got on my GTX 560 ti 448.

Thanks for those pictures

Looks like it really is happening this time. ;)

Geez.. I hope they will ditch this stacked power sockets idea....

Why? The stacked DVI makes any single slot asperation pointless, anyways. Speculation points towards this being the second highest card, so SLI wouldn't even be very high on the importance list.

The 4 display outputs has me really hoping for native NV Surround out of the box. :D

Im sure either the HDMI or DP are tied to one of the stacked DVI outputs, so in reality it will only have a maximum output of 3 monitors, but still its hell of an improvement over the previous generations.

Honestly one of the main reasons I wanted to buy an AMD card was because of Eyefinity out of the box.

If Nvidia has finally added this feature, then I see no further reason to buy AMD (ofcourse if everything else is equal). :cool:

I am seeing information out of China this morning showing 45% to 50% performance increase over 580 in canned benchmarks.

It will have NV Surround out of the box on a single card.

Am i seeing 15 vrms? If so that should fix the exploding vrms that some people have reported on the 500 series

Last edited:
Geez.. I hope they will ditch this stacked power sockets idea....

Why? The stacked DVI makes any single slot asperation pointless, anyways. Speculation points towards this being the second highest card, so SLI wouldn't even be very high on the importance list.

He is talking about the 6 pin PCIe power connector, and how those two are stacked on top of one another.

Personally, I can't imagine why one would be better than the other. Oh... I guess when you are plugging the power connectors in it's better to have them separate so that the force you put on the solder joint is closer to the circuit board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back