NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Priced at $600

If you load the games settings from the AMD or Nvidia applications, and you just tell it to give the optimal settings for the game for your system it will have either DLSS or FSR on 100% of the time if the game has it available. Very few PC gamers actually manually tune their games settings, the bulk just use Adrenalin or GfE, and those will default it to on.
The driver based version isn't on by default in Adrenalin(globally or in individual game profiles), even after using the factory reset option. Most games I've played with FSR default to it being off in the in-game settings as well though I have seen a game or two that defaulted to it being on.

I'm so glad AMD is where it is now on the graphics side. Next go around for me, and my stepson, will be AMD cards. If you don't speak with your wallet Nvidia will never learn it's lesson.

The driver based version isn't on by default in Adrenalin(globally or in individual game profiles), even after using the factory reset option. Most games I've played with FSR default to it being off in the in-game settings as well though I have seen a game or two that defaulted to it being on.
Not that one but the majority of users be it AMD or Nvidia just use the recommended settings that Adrenaline or GForce Experience recommend as Optimal. Most of the Optimal profiles will turn on either DLSS or FSR for game titles that support it.

Not that one but the majority of users be it AMD or Nvidia just use the recommended settings that Adrenaline or GForce Experience recommend as Optimal. Most of the Optimal profiles will turn on either DLSS or FSR for game titles that support it.
I'm not aware of AMD having anything like that but I always customize my settings anyway and fsr(or dlss) would be one of the first things I turn off along with any DOF or motion blur.

I'm not aware of AMD having anything like that but I always customize my settings anyway and fsr(or dlss) would be one of the first things I turn off along with any DOF or motion blur.
I am not sure how you don't know about it given how much time AMD spends talking about it but ok.
It should be noted it is now required software for anybody running the new x3D parts along with the Xbox game center.
This is why in Linux gaming benchmarks it generally falls behind the 7700X in performance but can sometimes touch close to the 7950x, so hopefully they get some driver teams on that and stabilize things a little, but I expect that Valve will get something done in Proton sooner than not that will correct the issue before AMD can get their drivers in order.

I am not sure how you don't know about it given how much time AMD spends talking about it but ok.
It should be noted it is now required software for anybody running the new x3D parts along with the Xbox game center.
This is why in Linux gaming benchmarks it generally falls behind the 7700X in performance but can sometimes touch close to the 7950x, so hopefully they get some driver teams on that and stabilize things a little, but I expect that Valve will get something done in Proton sooner than not that will correct the issue before AMD can get their drivers in order.
The only game profiles in adrenalin are the driver based settings(overrides), there are no recommended settings available through it like what you're mentioning. AMD doesn't have a separate software like gforce experience and the xbox game bar is used to keep games on the 3d cache portion of the 79X0x3d CPUs so I'm sure how that or the related chipset drivers are involved in gpu game settings profiles.

I'm quite familiar with the hardware and software mentioned but not the recommended graphics settings you're talking about on AMD.

Nah most turn it on by default (upscaling, if available) to get the most frames/performance right out the gate - then add in if also because of ray tracing or not
Most games have motion blur turned on, but guess what most players do? Motion blur is used to cover up the stuttering you see with low frame rates. DLSS and FSR are turn on to cover up that your graphics card that costs almost as much as a used car, can't play Ray-Tracing at 4k without dipping into 24fps territory.
rj9h1kigiln61.jpg

Most games have motion blur turned on, but guess what most players do? Motion blur is used to cover up the stuttering you see with low frame rates. DLSS and FSR are turn on to cover up that your graphics card that costs almost as much as a used car, can't play Ray-Tracing at 4k without dipping into 24fps territory.
View attachment 563563

Almost like they're each/all optional options or something....odd...

View attachment 563563
There's good motion blur too, per object blur like the giant fans in The Callisto Protocol, makes the animation far more natural.

Almost like they're each/all optional options or something....odd...
FSR was on by default for Gold of War and I was wondering why the graphics looked so washed out. Then I did a bit of digging and found that FSR was on performance mode. Turned that off and graphics look so much better. These features are not something I would leave on unless you really have performance issues or use Ray-Tracing.

These features are not something I would leave on unless you really have performance issues or use Ray-Tracing.

So then you yourself go ahead and make sure you turn them off for yourself when playing your games on your computer

Optional options...

Edit: And just seeing as you said it was FSR that looked bad to you, you might want to give DLSS a try yourself one day and see how it looks to you; in person, in comparison. Never know, maybe you'll be surprised, or maybe not.

1681282472121.jpeg

Last edited:
4070s went live on Newegg 10 minutes ago and they seem to all still be in stock.

Still waiting for them to go live on Best Buy.

Lots of factors in play currently. Such as the shift upwards in vram requirements to how midrange cards are now $600 to people tightening up on non essential spending and so on. I agree though that it is surprising to see what should be a compelling launch have stock sitting on launch day.

Hour and a half later, every model still in-stock. tbh I'm surprised.
Nearly two hours after they were supposed to launch (i.e, 6am Pacific), Best Buy finally went live. They still have the 'high demand product' hoops to jump through enabled for some GPUs, but I was able to order a FE, the 10% off coupon worked, and the 10% back in Best Buy rewards promo applies. I think it's reasonable to pay $540+tax - $50 back at Best Buy for this GPU.

Last edited:
4070s went live on Newegg 10 minutes ago and they seem to all still be in stock.

Still waiting for them to go live on Best Buy.
Seems Best Buy still sticking with the "get in the queue, and then we'll let you know if there is a video card available in your region" approach to selling them... probably allowing people who pay the $200 premium plan to get them immediately though, regardless of where they are.

Nearly two hours after they were supposed to launch (i.e, 6am Pacific), Best Buy finally went live. They still have the 'high demand product' hoops to jump through enabled for some GPUs, but I was able to order a FE, the 10% off coupon worked, and the 10% back in Best Buy rewards promo applies. I think it's reasonable to pay $540+tax - $50 back at Best Buy for this GPU.
That's awesome that you have basically 20% off the card at launch... which I agree makes it a better priced product as it's essentially the same price as the 3070 price. That said not all of us have coupons or reward deals. But yeah use 'em if you got 'em.

What is the 10% coupon if you don't mind sharing?

MSI has a $600 version, but I wonder with a single 8 PIN if that will limit over clocking potential.
card5.jpg

Edit: Looks like that is the case.

MSI has chosen to not allow any manual power limit increases on their card, no idea why. They are not alone though, PNY and Gainward have locked their cards down, too. Manual overclocking is still possible of course, but having a bit of additional headroom for OC could come in handy for advanced users. NVIDIA's Founders Edition allows increasing the power limit up to 220 W, ASUS allows up to 216 W.

TPU review for the MSI Ventus 3x.

Kind of lame. ASUS offers an MSRP model that does allow you to change the power limit, but I prefer MSI. Looks MSI, PNY and Gainward are trying really hard to up sell the non-MSRP models.

I'm not really into manual over clocking, all my previous cards I just upped the power limited, added to the core and memory clocked, saved, tested, and all worked fine with moderate performance jumps so not having that ability at MSRP is disappointing.

Last edited:

MSI has a $600 version, but I wonder with a single 8 PIN if that will limit over clocking potential.
View attachment 564009

it's only if you have a BB credit card

If you have a Best Buy credit card, you should be able to use code mar24emob25 at checkout for 10% off. And you should also have an offer for 10% on any purchase made on your Best Buy credit card you can activate. So the FE and the other $600 models will be $540 + tax plus $50 in Best Buy rewards. That's effectively $490.

That said not all of us have coupons or reward deals
Even then, I assume those work on any card at best buy? Could put those towards their $650 6950xt as well.

So in the end it really doesn't change the value/perf against any other cards in stock.

Well, they're actually at 599, including the limited AIB models that are available. Not the worst deal for 1440p. I think I'd still rather wait for a 500 dollar 6800 XT or just get the 6950 XT, but I wouldn't blame people for wanting this instead.

Just for kicks, I got in the queue for the FE this morning...waited for 45 minutes, and never advanced out of it.

So from up here in Canuckistan I can say the following.
An RTX 4070 is cheaper than either a 3060 or a 3070, it is at least $200 cheaper than the cheapest RX 6950xt that I can find that isn't "Open Box".
The RTX 4070s are ranging from $810 to $900 depending on the cooler and OC options, so based on options I can find the price is directly competing against the RX 6800xt if they have rebates available or the RX 6700xt.
I am not sure about the rest of you but that is a pretty clear-cut decision on which card to get.

I am not sure about the rest of you but that is a pretty clear-cut decision on which card to get.
You guys just have a broken market :D In the US, at best buy at least, a 6800xt is cheaper and a 6950xt is $50 more. 3070 is cheaper but almost as much as a 6800xt.....

You guys just have a broken market :D
Canada's supply of GPU were mostly brought in by the few importers we do have at the height of the pandemic and they haven't exactly moved since then, so they overpaid for the majority of the GPU's from that generation, so unless they get rebaits from either AMD or Nvidia directly they have to sell them at a loss.
The new cards coming in are obviously not marked up by pandemic pricing and are just marked up from the AMD and Nvidia fuck you taxes, so that is coming in slightly less.

Even then, I assume those work on any card at best buy? Could put those towards their $650 6950xt as well.

So in the end it really doesn't change the value/perf against any other cards in stock.
It seems the dirt-cheap PNY models aren't working with the code - I tried to get the $420 PNY 3060 Ti for $380 a week ago for a friend but it would not let me.

The coupon code takes 10% off the regular price of most items, not the sale price. So, it takes 10% off the $600 regular price of the 4070s, but it would take 10% off the $930 regular price of the XFX 6950 XT - not the $650 sale price. It changes the value/perf against any other regularly-priced card.

Edit: Looks like that is the case.

TPU review for the MSI Ventus 3x.

Kind of lame. ASUS offers an MSRP model that does allow you to change the power limit, but I prefer MSI. Looks MSI, PNY and Gainward are trying really hard to up sell the non-MSRP models.

I'm not really into manual over clocking, all my previous cards I just upped the power limited, added to the core and memory clocked, saved, tested, and all worked fine with moderate performance jumps so not having that ability at MSRP is disappointing.
There is no profit margin for the AIB partners on MSRP cards since nVidia started taking a bigger slice of the pie, hence EVGA's exit. It seems like most of the time they make & release a batch of these MSRP cards at launch, then they disappear.

It seems the dirt-cheap PNY models aren't working with the code - I tried to get the $420 PNY 3060 Ti for $380 a week ago for a friend but it would not let me.

The coupon code takes 10% off the regular price of most items, not the sale price. So, it takes 10% off the $600 regular price of the 4070s, but it would take 10% off the $930 regular price of the XFX 6950 XT - not the $650 sale price. It changes the value/perf against any other regularly-priced card.
Ah ha, didn't know the limitation of that. Thanks for the update. So much for thinking I could roll up to BB for a sub-$600 6950xt :(

There is no profit margin for the AIB partners on MSRP cards since nVidia started taking a bigger slice of the pie, hence EVGA's exit. It seems like most of the time they make & release a batch of these MSRP cards at launch, then they disappear.
That was disproven as bunk, EVGA had no margin because they contracted out every aspect of their cards manufacturing and testing processes and constantly attempted to "improve" Nvidia's base designs which ultimately cost more and had side effects that often proved expensive.
Their customization of the 3090 series for example was the direct cause of the New Worlds failures but also cost them nearly their entire GPU profit margin for that year and was likely the cause for their exit. EVGA's mini meltdown was more caused by the fact Nvidia didn't reimburse them for those failures as they were caused by design modifications Nvidia did not approve of.
Gigabyte and MSI both commented that their GPUI margins were at least double EVGAs, in an interview with some European tech sites when they were asked how they felt about EVGA's comments toward Nvidia.

Possibly, unless you want "shiny new generation" card, and perhaps have a bit more anemic of a PSU which if you had to upgrade need to take into account for the 6950xt. Plus power costs could add up over time, I live in the land of nearly 40 cents/kWh power. So a 200 watt difference in power usage while gaming could add up over the course of a year, if I assume 10 hours of gaming per week between me and my kiddo , .2kw x 10hrs/week x 52weeks/year x $0.4/kWh = $41.60 per year. Now will it be exactly 200 watts difference? maybe? no? yes? back of the napkin calculation but that difference could/should be added to the total value/perf of the card ... doubly so for me because I don't upgrade terribly much.

That said, I still have a hard time convincing myself to buy this at $600, if I had a BB credit card and all that then at $500 I'd be in on it.

That said, I still have a hard time convincing myself to buy this at $600, if I had a BB credit card and all that then at $500 I'd be in on it.

Same. I am looking at reviews. The MSI 3X Ventus in the TPU and I believe Guru3D benchmark performs slightly worse than the FE edition, although has a better performing cooler. And you cannot change the power limit. ASUS has a 2 fan cooler for the same price and you can up the power limit but it seems to perform a bit worse in terms of thermals.

Hard to choose, and it seems like the MSRP model will of course have cuts to them. Seems like all of the AIBs except ASUS are limiting power limit changing on their MSRP models.

EVGA had problems but at least their lower end models came with good coolers and didn't deal with power limits being locked. They seemed to just remove back plates for their cheapest models, or you could pay $20 more and get a back plate.

(For MSRP cards) you can choose between hot and quiet or cooler and a bit louder. What you prefer, you then have to decide for yourself

https://www.igorslab.de/en/geforce-...-when-the-compulsion-to-uvp-defeats-reason/3/
I love this
"No, the board partners can’t be blamed for the price issue and I don’t want to discuss the special agreement with the chip manufacturer so that such MSRP cards were available in the first place. Let’s call it gentle pressure and such. However, the fact that you can’t get anything exciting for this extremely tightly calculated price is, unfortunately, only rightly the logical consequence. No one can do magic. In times where even screws cost up to 100% more, price discussions and comparisons with the RTX 2xxx or RTX 3xxx are rather idle. Then we could also discuss butter and meat prices from 2020. Or about toilet paper."

Back