NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti is real

I feel like I have to draw the line around 300 to 350 w. In my opinion that's just an insane amount of heat that gets put out and I certainly would not enjoy that in the summertime here in the south. I am extremely impressed with all the coolers being used though as they all seem to handle the heat just fine without being loud and hot.

Also look at GeForce 200-series or earlier cards that had larger than 384-bit configs. Now while some did employ the front and back mounted chips, others like the GTX 285 did not.
Indeed, the GTX 285 is a NVIDIA example that had all 16 on one side.

1648666073119.png

Also look at GeForce 200-series or earlier cards that had larger than 384-bit configs. Now while some did employ the front and back mounted chips, others like the GTX 285 did not.
OK. I obviously forgot about a few counter examples, those were GDDR5 and GDDR3 cards.

However, both spaced the ram considerably farther away than the GDDR6 on RX 6xxx cards, with the GDDR6X on 30xx being even closer to the GPU die. That has me wondering if those layouts are still viable with newer/faster memory.

Got my evga 3090 ti queue notice. Just signed up for the hell of it to see. Pretty sure I'm going to pass on $2400 (tax, etc.)

Anthony at LTT's review, time cued to the most interesting part of the review in my opinion. Roughly 8m20s to 9m, with a mea culpa on Linus' influence with their 8k video they did on the 3090 last year. Interesting numbers he cites regarding Steam user survey of the high end RTX 3000 cards.

I don't hear a convincing argument in that video. Also, using Steam survey numbers to try and support some kind of conclusion is a quick way for me to throw out your opinion.

What exactly is he trying to say? Don't buy this card because too many people who participated in the Steam survey already own a "big" GPU?

ram on the backside of the PCB has been a common feature of high memory GPUs for a long time. GDDR needs to be placed extremely close to the GPU itself to maintain signalling integrity. The 12 chips around the 3090 is probably the upper limit. AFAIK all 16 chip models have been 8 on each side.
Oh for sure, but power and temperature keeps increasing but space on the backside of the card does not. At least on the front side you just keep eating up more slots to allow for additional cooling.

What exactly is he trying to say? Don't buy this card because too many people who participated in the Steam survey already own a "big" GPU?
I think what he's saying is that Nvidia is giving customers what they want, even if that means the top end card doesn't offer great value and it isn't a card he would buy himself. There are so many millions of legacy cards still connected to Steam that to hit 2% on the Steam survey is huge for any current gen silicon. The most popular current-gen AMD card on the survey, for example, comes in at only 0.21% despite selling in record numbers.

I think what he's saying is that Nvidia is giving customers what they want, even if that means the top end card doesn't offer great value and it isn't a card he would buy himself. There are so many millions of legacy cards still connected to Steam that to hit 2% on the Steam survey is huge for any current gen silicon. The most popular current-gen AMD card on the survey, for example, comes in at only 0.21% despite selling in record numbers.
I think it helps that buying a top end card, while expensive, can have some or all the cost (or all of it) offset by mining.

Back