NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti is real

Armenius

Extremely [H]
EDIT: Adding link to NVIDIA's CES address, which starts today at 11:00 EST/08:00 PST. Original post below the video.

Videocardz got the scoop on pics of the 3090 Ti and its specs. It will be officially revealed at CES today. The card comes with 21 GT/s GDDR6X and a 10% higher boost clock of 1860 MHz compared to 1695 MHz on the original 3090. That higher clock speed comes with a 100W higher TDP and a recommended PSU capacity of 1000W.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-ti-pictured-specifications-confirmed

The new card will utilize the full GA102 GPU with 10752 CUDA cores. For RTX 3090 Ti, NVIDIA is adding 24GB of faster GDDR6X memory clocked at 21 Gbps. Such a memory attached to a 384-bit memory bus enables 1 TB/s of maximum theoretical bandwidth, nearly 7.7% faster than RTX 3090.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti Founders Edition, Source: VideoCardz

The RTX 3090 Ti Founders Edition is a triple-slot design, pretty much identical to the original model. The card will make use of a single 16-pin power connector which will feed up to 450W of power. We have already seen custom models with recommended 1000W power supply so this SKU is definitely not for mid-range spec’ed systems.

According to our information, the card will have a significantly higher base clock of 1560 MHz and a boost of 1860 MHz. This is respectively 12% and 10% higher than RTX 3090 non-Ti. What this means is that the card will offer up to 40 TFLOPS of single-precision compute power.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti obviously won’t be cheap, but NVIDIA is yet to confirm the MSRP of this model, possibly during its CES 2022 special address tomorrow where the card will be presented for the first time.

1641308397987.png

1641308220100.png

Last edited:
"The card will make use of a single 16-pin power connector"

Another new connector? Or is that a typo, I wonder.

Here is the "special address" stream, which starts in 20 minutes from this posting (11:00 EST).

That a "perfect" chips if both the above and this are true:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-ga102.g930

Make sense to one day make it (wonder if they have kept over time every perfect chips they achieved to do and have some reserve or it is new that they achieve them)
If they're selling these to consumers in meaningful amounts it must mean their production rate for perfect dies is high enough to satisfy the various profesional customers who they could charge 2-10x as much as they do rich gamers.

They just showed the card during the address and said more information will be revealed later. They confirmed the specs revealed by Videocardz, at least.

Oh FFS. If the PCEe5 power connector is out now, they had to have known about if when coming up with the proprietary version they used in last years cards.
They certainly did, but the specification at that time wasn't finalized and many parts of it were still up in the air, so they based their proprietary one off the unfinished spec so that way it would at least be close when the final specification did launch.

I have a brand new EVGA FTW Ultra 3090 I can return til the 15th. I might get the $2,100 credit and see what happens on the 27th. Would be a stupid move on my part but, hey, the money is spent so who knows and why not.

They certainly did, but the specification at that time wasn't finalized and many parts of it were still up in the air, so they based their proprietary one off the unfinished spec so that way it would at least be close when the final specification did launch.
But they knew the updated official cable was coming, and all the 3rd party boards using them have proven that the cards will work just fine with several standard 8-pin cables. It's a bit messy looking, but creating a custom cable that you know will be obsolete after a single generation is a crappy move IMO.

But they knew the updated official cable was coming, and all the 3rd party boards using them have proven that the cards will work just fine with several standard 8-pin cables. It's a bit messy looking, but creating a custom cable that you know will be obsolete after a single generation is a crappy move IMO.
But now all they have to do is change the pin connector and one or two pinouts and their PCB's are already for the new standards, which ultimately made their design process cheaper and got them 2 years worth of data which ultimately helped finalize the PCIE specifications so somebody had to do the leg work, might as well have been them.

So an absolute minimal incremental upgrade over a 3090 or am I seeing this wrong? All while adding a 100W TDP to the mix. The only positive thing here is hopefully they will be available at msrp.
18 months, small tweak is all you get. They don't need to do much else when there is no competition and while GPUs are easier to sell than gold.

But now all they have to do is change the pin connector and one or two pinouts and their PCB's are already for the new standards, which ultimately made their design process cheaper and got them 2 years worth of data which ultimately helped finalize the PCIE specifications so somebody had to do the leg work, might as well have been them.
packing the power connection pins more densely than in the old style connectors isn't going to generate much in the way of valuable data vs the old setup. If anything was to be learned it'd be in whatever the 4 data pins do; but the NVIDIA connector doesn't have them. Assuming they're not just sense pins to measure actual voltage levels at the card anyway. That would've been my first guess; but Armenius called them signal pins so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So an absolute minimal incremental upgrade over a 3090 or am I seeing this wrong? All while adding a 100W TDP to the mix. The only positive thing here is hopefully they will be available at msrp.
It's a mid life cycle update, adding a few more core clusters and messing with power consumption is about all that is expected.

packing the power connection pins more densely than in the old style connectors isn't going to generate much in the way of valuable data vs the old setup. If anything was to be learned it'd be in whatever the 4 data pins do; but the NVIDIA connector doesn't have them. Assuming they're not just sense pins to measure actual voltage levels at the card anyway. That would've been my first guess; but Armenius called them signal pins so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, I can't find any documentation on what those 4 signaling pins actually do, but from looking around it seems that the NVidia connector used for the 3000 series is a straight plug-in, no adapter required. But I really want to know what those signaling cables can do, are they going to start making USB interfaces to the PSU standard so we can get some meaningful reporting out of them in regards to power draw and other such metrics. I get those in my servers and I really do appreciate them when I need to troubleshoot things.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8208...ws-up-to-600w-of-for-next-gen-gpus/index.html
"Correction: the 12-pin PCIe power connector on the Ampere cards is compatible with the new PCIe 5.0 high power connector, so the Ampere connector is not useless."

Yeah, honestly it looks barely better than a factory overclock. But I'm sure some people that want "the best, spare no expense" will be happy. I'm over that.

Any guesses on msrp? I bet FEs right around $2k, +$3-600 for AIB cards.
I'd go with that as a likely point. Then again, given the MASSIVE secondary market for GPU's right now, I'd consider coming in extremely strong - maybe ridiculously so.

Yeah, I can't find any documentation on what those 4 signaling pins actually do, but from looking around it seems that the NVidia connector used for the 3000 series is a straight plug-in, no adapter required. But I really want to know what those signaling cables can do, are they going to start making USB interfaces to the PSU standard so we can get some meaningful reporting out of them in regards to power draw and other such metrics. I get those in my servers and I really do appreciate them when I need to troubleshoot things.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8208...ws-up-to-600w-of-for-next-gen-gpus/index.html
"Correction: the 12-pin PCIe power connector on the Ampere cards is compatible with the new PCIe 5.0 high power connector, so the Ampere connector is not useless."

If it is plugin compatible that would greatly reduce my objection to NVidia jumping the gun. It also means that the 4 smaller pins are almost certainly not voltage sense pins because they'd be left unconnected. While 4 pins is right for a USB2 header if that's what they are it'd probably be intended to allow the GPU to send data to the PSU rather than the other way around; sending data about the PSU to the system would make way more sense as an optional expansion of ATX 12VO instead.

It is so fucking stupid even NVIDIA only talked about it for about 60 seconds out of the entire presentation.
Yeah, this card is going to be stupid expensive. Unless you're just crazy desperate and you happen to see one available I don't get it.

Last edited:
It is so fucking stupid even NVIDIA only talked about it for about 60 seconds out of the entire presentation.
Right, 2 years later we get what is basically a factory overclock and probably a new outrageous price. Not interested.

$1800 will be the MSRP for Nvidia's founders/reference. Almost all AiB will be close to the $3k mark the top tier being well over $3k.

Back