NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 is ~10% faster than RTX 3080

The things people will do to find outrage. "This $700 card is only slightly faster than last year's $1,200 card pushed to its absolute limits! Shock!"
Nvidia's marketing and naming schemes are partially responsible for this. They not only launched with lofty performance gain numbers, they stressed that these were really happening at the new, lower price.

That's turning around to bite them, since they're not going to make the people excited about performance, and that's not going to make people happy about the new pricing coming off the old pricing.

As much confusion as it's made for AMD in the past, a newer, not just simpler, naming scheme could have helped Nvidia out a lot.

The things people will do to find outrage. "This $700 card is only slightly faster than last year's $1,200 card pushed to its absolute limits! Shock!"

Indeed, especially when the $700 card is hard to find, the custom models are pushing $750+, only have 10GB of ram and highlights how overpriced last gen was now that Nvidia apparently has fear of some competition.

Nvidia's marketing and naming schemes are partially responsible for this. They not only launched with lofty performance gain numbers, they stressed that these were really happening at the new, lower price.

That's turning around to bite them, since they're not going to make the people excited about performance, and that's not going to make people happy about the new pricing coming off the old pricing.

As much confusion as it's made for AMD in the past, a newer, not just simpler, naming scheme could have helped Nvidia out a lot.
If people can't see past the marketing then they need to start only replacing things when they can't do what they want it to do. That way they can just Google what they want done and buy based on some one else's recommendations. You have all this information available to you how in the world are you making worse buying choices than people that had to rely on magazine's for reviews.

Its simple the prices didn't get better, the 70 series is still $499+, the 80 series is still $699+ and the next card over he 80 series is now $1500 instead of 1 card that had an Msrp of $999 with most $1199+. They did zero favors and won't anytime soon. The blood in the water from mining days mixed with the new chum with this launch has lost us the option of turning the prices back.

The blood in the water from mining days mixed with the new chum with this launch has lost us the option of turning the prices back.
All the more reason to hit the reset button on the naming scheme.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
All the more reason to hit the reset button on the naming scheme.
If I worked for Nvidia product marketing I would re brand the levels so you can eschew level comparisons and factor rtx and dlss capabilities in the naming scheme.

Reactions: Axman
like this
I’ll be honest, if ray-tracing didn’t exist in current and upcoming games I want to play I’d just hold onto my 1080 Ti for another generation. But by getting RTX features plus almost doubling performance of my 1080 Ti I thought Ampere was a worthy upgrade.

this is a really good and up to date take on the whole debacle / scenario !!

From AdoredTV

Back