NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 is ~10% faster than RTX 3080

All this confirms is that you just can't beat the bots. I also had nowinstock turned on for notifications on top of website notifications. They didn't even get a chance to pop and send a notification before the bots already had them.

Pretty funny. Hopefully no one actually thought this would do 8K @ 60fps. I didn't believe it, this confirms it.

I would have to agree, I myself never even took that 8k shit seriously. I knew it had to be with DLSS on or something.

If the 3080 FE increases CPU and RAM temps by about 15c depending on configuration. I wonder what the 3090 FE will do?

The only honest straight up review I found this morning. A stark difference from LTT’s Jensen ass kissing.

GN it is moving forward for trustworthy information.
GN is probably the most "trusted" tech tuber as he is the least likely to be a complete kiss ass. I wouldn't put it past him to still not be completely truthful about everything though to avoid losing any partnerships/sponsorships.

I called it in my previous post, this was not a gaming card.

You and just about everyone else on this forum.

The only honest straight up review I found this morning. A stark difference from LTT’s Jensen ass kissing.

GN it is moving forward for trustworthy information.

Agree but you have to be fooling yourself if you don't think NVIDIA gave GN the greenlight to make this "scathing" video. The marketing guys at NVIDIA are top notch so they of course would want that one reviewer who is the rebel and they've chosen Tech Jesus to be that guy.

Agree but you have to be fooling yourself if you don't think NVIDIA gave GN the greenlight to make this "scathing" video. The marketing guys at NVIDIA are top notch so they of course would want that one reviewer who is the rebel and they've chosen Tech Jesus to be that guy.

I don't believe that. GN has clashed with several companies in the past based on their reviews.

I don't believe that. GN has clashed with several companies in the past based on their reviews.

I don’t think he’d risk jeopardizing his relationship with NVIDIA, it could potentially kill his website/YT off if he got blacklisted by them. FrgMstr would know more about this than anyone else here though.

If they have sufficient inventory before Nvidia has lots of stock, absolutely.

The only way to beat the bots, is to wait a couple months.
The way to beat bots is to have actual quantities available... then there is no profit to be had from buying and reselling. When you have a very limited quantity, it enables and rewards this kind of behavior.

I thought it was going to be available starting 9am PST?

That should be in about 28 minutes from now?

It was 6am PST.. which was 9am ET... think you got your time zones wrong.

Look at that cod piece in 8K!!!

DoomCod.PNG

That's what I assumed. I figured I should at least give it a try though.

I put forth a good 30 minute effort for the 3080 with zero luck. I gave this one about 3 minutes and decided it was more of the same. I don't really want one of these though. I probably would have tried to trade it for a 3080+cash.

When is big Navi supposed to launch again?

It would be funny as hell if they marketed it with a slogan like "The fastest GPU you can actually buy" or something like that :p

Reveal on Oct 28th. I would guess availability in November sometime.

When is big Navi supposed to launch again?

It would be funny as hell if they marketed it with a slogan like "The fastest GPU you can actually buy" or something like that :p
I fully expect that if AMD produces a competitive product from both a performance and pricing stand point then they'll suffer the same availability issues. This isn't exclusive to the 30x0 series cards and has happened with the PS5 and XSX as well. Even if AMD came in at launch with more stock than Nvidia did I can almost guarantee that most of the stock will still go to botters/scalpers. Briefly browsing through GitHub will show you just how many different types of bots are available with step by step instructions on how to get them running. I personally wouldn't trust running random code, especially code asking for login credentials and credit card information, but I'm guessing several of the bots are probably legit.

And if you take yourself over to eBay right now there's already a whole slew of 3090's with "confirmed orders" going for 3k.
What crazy person is buying these at this price? Yeah Yeah there are people with tons of money but that just down right absurd.

Reveal on Oct 28th. I would guess availability in November sometime.
You are probably right as I see AMD wants to get the Black Friday crowd. The real question is, how many will be available at launch? And will bots win again?

What crazy person is buying these at this price? Yeah Yeah there are people with tons of money but that just down right absurd.
People with more money than sense or troll bids. Hopefully the latter than the former.

GN pointed out that it's probably pretty good as a workstation/render card, but for some reason it was marketed as "8K gaming" which is a huge misstep.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-review?page=6
Some tidbits:
"Which brings us on to the 24GB of useable memory offered by the RTX 3090. Do you need it for games? No, not now. Perhaps you will in the future, but for now, most of that RAM lays dormant. However, I use a 24GB GPU for the video editing work I produce for Digital Foundry and I consider it essential. Working with Adobe Premiere Pro, layering 4K videos, running effects of that, employing expensive transitions I paid a lot of money for quickly overwhelms 8GB and even 12GB GPUs. Only by exporting pieces of the video and re-importing them back into the main project, am I able to make 4K video editing work for me on a lower VRAM card. And if I don't do this, there's a strong chance I will encounter crashes when the final video is exported. Using a high VRAM GPU, I'd say that there's a 95 to 99 per cent chance my edit will successfully export. On a lower VRAM GPU - even an RTX 2080 Ti with 11GB - my edits stand a good 80 per cent chance of failure. On the one hand, the software should tell me of issues ahead of time but on the other, you have to handle the cards you're dealt. Exporting video is a time-intensive enterprise. It can take hours on the most complex projects and losing that time is unacceptable. That's my personal use-case and justification for investing in a card like this. Nvidia provided a bunch of examples of rendering programs and 8K video workflows to test, so I am sure there are others too."

"GeForce RTX 3090 is also being marketed as an 8K gaming card, and thanks to its HDMI 2.1 support, this means you'll be able to run at native resolution output at 60Hz on the latest high-end televisions. I do plan to test this and I do think that properly experiencing this is the only way forward. Right now, without a screen, the only way to get some sense of the RTX 3090's capabilities is to use DSR and effectively downscale from 8K internal rendering to a 4K display. Using DSR does incur a three to five per cent performance hit and potentially causes issues you may not have with a native screen, but I did find the RTX 3090 to perform fairly well."

"At high settings, Dirt Rally 2.0 with MSAA disabled and TAA active could allow you to lock at 60 frames per second at full 8K resolution. Meanwhile, at ultra settings, Doom Eternal varies between 45 to 60 frames per second - which is fine but not quite the experience you would hope for. Not to worry though: dynamic resolution scaling solves most of the problems, meaning that frame-rate sticks mostly at 60 frames per second but can hit a little down to 57fps. Nvidia DLSS can certainly help a great deal. Death Stranding at 8K60 is possible using DLSS performance mode, upscaling from 60fps - however, I did note regular 'pulsing' down to 45fps which I couldn't explain. Control at 8K60? It's possible via DLSS but I found using RT features as well could add instability. This is all rather inconclusive testing right now because benchmarking via DSR downsampling or using it at all even in standard gaming introduces variables to the equation you won't get while rendering on an actual 8K screen. I also think that assuming memory can be managed, 8K gaming on an RTX 3080 may be manageable simply through decent settings and memory management - it's something I'm looking forward to trying out."

I am very late to this thread. Is there a zero missing in the headline ?

erek Schro

It looks like a few games are seeing 25% gains

Our Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 performance analysis found this to be one of the most taxing games around, particularly for CPUs. Still, having lots of VRAM and running at 4K ultra mostly pushes the bottleneck back to the GPU.

The RTX 3090 delivered 46 fps, which is still 13% faster than the 3080 and gets close to the 52 fps limit of the ultra settings that we ran into at 1080p and 1440p. The game has a DX12 patch supposedly coming, which might boost performance beyond 60 fps at ultra quality, but we'll have to see it to believe it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-review?__twitter_impression=true

We also did a Horizon Zero Dawn performance analysis and found it to be more demanding than Death Stranding, despite using the same engine. Blame the port, or the open world design, or whatever. The 3090 is the first GPU to fully eclipse 60 fps at 4K ultra — meaning even minimum fps stays above that mark. Performance is also 16% higher than the 3080, and minimum fps (99th percentile frametime fps) is 25% faster than the 3080, suggesting this might be a game that's actually making use of more than 10GB — or that it's caching more data into VRAM to smooth out the occasional stutter, more likely.

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-review?__twitter_impression=true

I'm guessing a lot of streamers who feel the need for online attention by having the latest hard to get gear to show off to their subscribers?

...and since every kid out there is a wannabe streamer these days...

Told you it would be (nearly) 20% faster at stock wattage.

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

But there's not much untapped performance to be found.

The top card is still ludicrously overpriced, but someone has to pay for developing GDDR6x :D We will have to wait and see if the 128mb cache on Big Navi turns out to be the cheaper option.

Last edited:
And yet many of the other real-world gaming scenarios I've seen seem to indicate between 5-15%. Wonder why that is.

Because you need 4k gaming to make this thing spread it's wings (and everything lower will compress the graph down to 5-10%)

If you're not GPU-limited, then you're wasting your $1500.

At 1440p, the delta drops to 12%:

average-fps_2560_1440.png

And here at 1080p, the delta drops to a measly 7%!

average-fps_1920_1080.png

The reason this card needs more than 1440p to really shine: in 1440p, it's still CPU-limited in half the games.

Look at that> 60fps rate IN EVERY GAME THEY TESTED AT 4k ultra! AVERAGE fps = 115!

average-fps-3840-2160.png

It's still ludicrously expensive, but for those who demand the NO-COMPROMISE BEST,, NVIDIA is providing it!

Total performance improvement over the 2080 Ti is a little over 50%

Last edited:
Back