NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 is ~10% faster than RTX 3080

So is there a general "time" that cards go for sale on retailer sites? Or does it vary?

The marketing for 3090 has been "8k60". We're already seeing that a 3080 isn't that much faster than 2080ti at low resolutions. I wonder if 8k is the only use case that makes sense for a 3090, or if it really is only 19% faster than a 3080.

Not the only use, but definitely the main one for 'mainstream' users (if mainstream means people who can splurge on an 8K TV or monitor. anyway). More RAM helps for GPGPU tasks, but you're probably buying a Quadro if that's what you need.

10% faster then a 3080...100% more expensive

Why is this such a shock to everyone, literally every other generation has had the same gains to cost.

As I said earlier, you are paying a premium for the full Ampere performance upfront rather than waiting a year for a ti model which will be on the way out anyway.

You don’t buy a Titan / 3090 because its value for money, you buy it because you simply want the best.

The 3090 was never going to be stellar as the 3080 is already less than stellar gains over last gen.

I remember going from a watercooled 980ti to a Titan XP with an 80% single gen jump in performance and no increase in power consumption. Now that was a real boost in performance!

You don’t buy a Titan / 3090 because its value for money, you buy it because you simply want the best.

but is it worth having the best at a 100% markup for a 10% gain?...usually the Titan cards have more then a 10% performance improvement...the 24GB VRAM is mostly irrelevant for gaming

but is it worth having the best at a 100% markup for a 10% gain?...usually the Titan cards have more then a 10% performance improvement...the 24GB VRAM is mostly irrelevant for gaming

10% gains in gaming doesn’t mean that is all these cards offer. They aren’t designed specifically for gaming first, that is just one side benefit of the larger die and more memory bandwidth...

These are not mainstream consumer cards meant only for gaming. Just like the Titans of old.

and yes Titans generally haven’t offered huge gains in gaming. The performance jump of Ampere is already pretty average so the next step up is proportionally lower also.

Just because a 3090 or Titan exists, doesn’t mean you are the target audience for it.

Honestly I believe the 3090 is the TI. They changed the name so they could justify the price increase. If they released it as a 3080ti at $1500 people would of flipped their shit. The Titan going to come out later. I don't think there will be a TI this gen. We might get a super early next year if AMD brings the heat.
3090 is titan 3080ti is 3080ti

These are not mainstream consumer cards meant only for gaming.
I mean, they're kinda half in consumer, half in professional. These are shaping up to be prosumer parts, which some people will find refreshingly approachable and others tremendously expensive.

Apart from that overlapping middle ground, they're also not going to make either market really happy, I think that's already obvious.

Going to wait till i see the official reviews then decide on what to get. Not like any games i'm playing right at the moment aren't running fine so far with my 2080Ti. :D Plus, if i'm not happy with the 3090 reviews, i don't have to buy it...lol Can always pick up a 3080/3080Ti (Possibly?) down the road or see what AMD has in store.

So, my good old fashioned linear sanity check seems to suggest we should be getting just under 20% improvement over the 3080 at stock boosts.

10496*1700 is 19.9% higher than 8704*1710.

Of course this assumes linear scaling, which you usually do get pretty close to, unless VRAM bandwidth insufficient.

Even 20% is not very much for the money though...

So, my good old fashioned linear sanity check seems to suggest we should be getting just under 20% improvement over the 3080 at stock boosts.

Of course this assumes linear scaling, which you usually do get pretty close to, unless VRAM bandwidth insufficient.

3090 is a lower clock rate and probably hotter, which means less time at boost clock.

3090 is a lower clock rate and probably hotter, which means less time at boost clock.

It's not lower by much, 1400 vs 1440 base clock (2.7% lower) and 1700 vs 1710 boost (0.6% lower).

I do buy that it generates more heat, and that may impact its ability to boost, but it also has a much larger heatsink, and, that's what water cooling is for :p

Ur right, the 3090 is a complete rip off by NVIDIA, no one buy one...:geek:

Reactions: erek
like this
Pretty much guarantee you these reports are from nub users who cheaped out on their power supplies and only have a 750w etc...

Well for the record, there are boosting issues on some of the cards. This is causing the black screen issues. But, yes there will be nubs who do cheap out and get a $50 750w thinking it will work.

Well for the record, there are boosting issues on some of the cards. This is causing the black screen issues. But, yes there will be nubs who do cheap out and get a $50 750w thinking it will work.
and it probably would work fine. Not everyone needs seasonic 1000w psus. If the card calls for 320w and the power supply can safely provide that, the problems are with the cards. If I had a car that stalled any time I put anything but Shell 93 octane in the gas tank, it's still a problem with the car, not the gas.

and it probably would work fine. Not everyone needs seasonic 1000w psus. If the card calls for 320w and the power supply can safely provide that, the problems are with the cards. If I had a car that stalled any time I put anything but Shell 93 octane in the gas tank, it's still a problem with the car, not the gas.

320W + Extra for boost clocks + the rest of your system. You cant run your PSU at 100% constantly and expect everything to work fine.

This is feeling more like an AMD launch than an NVidia launch. Super limited stock, lots of hype, black screens, lol... am I in the twilight zone? Sorry, couldn't resist myself, I'll move along.

You say that, but a lot of cheap "750w" PSU's aren't able to provide anything near claimed. I ended up with a non-name brand "850w" PSU... coupled with a pentium G4560 and an AMD 280x... it would shut down if I launched a game. The system load was less than 1/2 the rated. Cheap PSU's gonna be cheap. I don't even remember where that thing came from, probably in a trade or a lot with other stuff, my other 5 desktops have real PSU's. That one got relegated to use for a neighbors kid with an rx560 that it could actually drive. Anyways, when people talk about $40 700w+ PSU's, this is the example they're talking about. Any half decent branded PSU should be able to come close to their rating even if it's not the most efficient thing in the world. It's the really bottom basement stuff that isn't even close to maintaining their ratings and I'd be surprised if any of the power rails actually held ATX spec ;).

You say that, but a lot of cheap "750w" PSU's aren't able to provide anything near claimed. I ended up with a non-name brand "850w" PSU... coupled with a pentium G4560 and an AMD 280x... it would shut down if I launched a game. The system load was less than 1/2 the rated. Cheap PSU's gonna be cheap. I don't even remember where that thing came from, probably in a trade or a lot with other stuff, my other 5 desktops have real PSU's. That one got relegated to use for a neighbors kid with an rx560 that it could actually drive. Anyways, when people talk about $40 700w+ PSU's, this is the example they're talking about. Any half decent branded PSU should be able to come close to their rating even if it's not the most efficient thing in the world. It's the really bottom basement stuff that isn't even close to maintaining their ratings and I'd be surprised if any of the power rails actually held ATX spec ;).

I agree, which is why I said if the PSU can safely provide the power. I'm more talking about rigs with lower end PSUs, be it cooler master, thermaltake, low end corsair, etc, the name brands that are not usually recommended. I know there are psus out there that can only push 400w but rated for 700+, I am not speaking to those particularly. My point is just that it's easy to blame the PSU for a problem, but if there are widespread issues of black screens and crashes with 3080s, it probably isn't all due to no name PSUs.

I agree, which is why I said if the PSU can safely provide the power. I'm more talking about rigs with lower end PSUs, be it cooler master, thermaltake, low end corsair, etc, the name brands that are not usually recommended. I know there are psus out there that can only push 400w but rated for 700+, I am not speaking to those particularly. My point is just that it's easy to blame the PSU for a problem, but if there are widespread issues of black screens and crashes with 3080s, it probably isn't all due to no name PSUs.
I understand that's why I said low end namebrands are normally fine (just don't expect 80+ platinum efficiency), it's the bottom of the barrel off-brand that actually do have these issues. As you noted, the issues those are seeing aren't due to the power supplies but an issues with either drivers or bios which are causing the cards to shut down when they boost. I really hope the solution isn't to turn the boost down, lol.

Well,

I am going to give the Nvidia store a low key try at noon, but I am fully expecting to bit get anything.

Figured I'd at least give it a shot.

Bullshit. Had one in my cart, disappeared, from both Best Buy and Newegg. Bots win again.
botssuck.jpg

Last edited:
Bullshit. Had one in my cart, disappeared, from both Best Buy and Newegg. Bots win again.
flipping bots :(

well definitely feeling the reality sink in more than ever... NVIDIA doesn't care about the enthusiasts, only the $$$$

lol sold out and I am still looking for some real reviews.

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-review?__twitter_impression=true

cc erek Schro

EDIT:

This is very much a GPU designed for 4K ultra gaming, and at those settings, it's 12% faster than the 3080 on average in our existing test suite, and 14% faster in our bonus test suite. Drop down to 1440p ultra, and the 3090 is only 8% faster than the 3080. If you're running at 1080p? Don't bother, seriously

Bullshit. Had one in my cart, disappeared, from both Best Buy and Newegg. Bots win again.View attachment 282262
At least you were actually able to get to the checkout. I had multiple pages up, constantly refreshing, and never even saw an Add to Cart option. Went immediately to sold out.

The only time I actually was able to get to a store was when someone posted a link 5 minutes later to get it added to your cart, and by then, it was sold out.

I had the 2 gigabyte carts and one of the PNYs in my cart, but couldn't get to checkout with any of them. No dice this round.

At least you were actually able to get to the checkout. I had multiple pages up, constantly refreshing, and never even saw an Add to Cart option. Went immediately to sold out.

The only time I actually was able to get to a store was when someone posted a link 5 minutes later to get it added to your cart, and by then, it was sold out.

Honestly I only went for the 3090 because I figured at it's price point it would be less sought after - but the bots obviously don't care. I'm sure we'll see this on eBay very shortly going for much more.

and LOL I managed to get another Zotac in my cart from Newegg and got all the way to checkout and placed the order and then it was removed from my cart. I'm not that pissed because I loathe Zotac, but really, WTF.

Back