Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition review

Any device out of the box set to higher than reference clocks is overclocked.
What is the reference clock? Is anyone, including nVidia, going to sell it at that speed? Is it still the reference speed, if even the reference card doesn't use it?

This is [H]ard|OCP, not Smart|OCP lol. The cards will sell well because despite how a handful of people feel about the cards, there will be people that want the latest & greatest. Since AMD will have no answer for some time, there is nothing really stopping these cards from flying off shelves other than those that choose to wait for the next big performance leap. They will be waiting awhile for that.

Yep, simple economics. Not sure why people are so surprised about the pricing. Upset, sure. But this should be no surprise, especially with no real competitor.

Capitalism 101.

What is the reference clock? Is anyone, including nVidia, going to sell it at that speed? Is it still the reference speed, if even the reference card doesn't use it?

I am not sure. When nvidia says it upfront it’s overclocked out of the box. It’s overclocked to me. Founder is set to +90 MHz core then reference blower edition cards you will see and also AIBs can’t overclock certain chips. So may be nvidia is pushing founders edition hard. If AIBs don’t get the binned chips they will have to ship the cards at standard reference speeds they can’t even touch it at at all.

I'll wait and see if they go down to the MSRP in 3-4 months then decide if to buy one. (Or if the next gen is close, wait and see on that) Part of me IS hoping that enough negative reviews about the 2080's pricing will force them to lower it..lol But i seriously doubt that will happen for a good while, if ever.....:sneaky:

nope, not a single card will be sold at it's reference clock.. this is actually the first time i've ever seen nvidia do this where they set a reference clock for both cards in it's line up significantly lower than what any card will be clocked at when it's sold.. my guess is this was done intentionally so that they can use the same argument that NKD is using. the FE's are the base line clock(which is still considered an overclocked card based on nvidia's official reference clocks) all 3rd party cards will be clocked similarly or higher than the FE.

nope, not a single card will be sold at it's reference clock.. this is actually the first time i've ever seen nvidia do this where they set a reference clock for both cards in it's line up significantly lower than what any card will be clocked at when it's sold.. my guess is this was done intentionally so that they can use the same argument that NKD is using. the FE's are the base line clock(which is still considered an overclocked card based on nvidia's official reference clocks) all 3rd party cards will be clocked similarly or higher than the FE.

I am not sure about all. Word is Nvidia is not allowing non binned chips to be overclocked out of the box. So AIB can’t buy non binned chips and OC them out of box to sell em. It’s really little crazy this time. Looks like Nvidia is not even giving AIBs any wiggle room. Even they have to pay premium for binned chips it seems lol. So It may be so that they are trying to give the upper hand to FE cards so the AIBs don’t under cut em. Makes sense business wise If they are trying to maximize profits as much as them can while there is no competition.

tired of reviews turning down effects, the 2080ti will not do 60fps/4k ultra settings...ghost recon wildlands for one.
krap cards, give it three months and the ti will go down to 1k

I am not sure about all. Word is Nvidia is not allowing non binned chips to be overclocked out of the box. So AIB can’t buy non binned chips and OC them out of box to sell em. It’s really little crazy this time. Looks like Nvidia is not even giving AIBs any wiggle room. Even they have to pay premium for binned chips it seems lol. So It may be so that they are trying to give the upper hand to FE cards so the AIBs don’t under cut em. Makes sense business wise If they are trying to maximize profits as much as them can while there is no competition.

except that it's maximizing profits at the cost of the AIB's which won't sit well.. if that's what they're in fact doing they better hope AMD isn't able to ever compete with them because i think you'll see a lot of them jump ship just like XFX did after nvidia tried to heavy hand their AIB partners on 400 series gpu purchases to get access to 500 series gpu's. been looking around apparently reference clock 2080ti prices are all over the place, evga's charging 50 dollars less while some are charging 50+ dollars more than the FE for reference clock cards.. but the interesting thing is they're not selling them anywhere except their own websites which tells me they have zero interest in even trying to sell these reference clocked cards.

I get the feeling nvidia are going to keep the production and supply really tight with all these GPUs, with the intention of selling absolutely every single one as fast as possible.

How do you figure that? We're getting close to the end of the road on process with GPU's just like with CPU's. What happened with past performance isn't an indicator of future performance anymore unfortunately.

Also, 12nm isn't a node jump at all. Just a refined process. That doesn't make for much uplift there. NV is getting all of their uplift from a bigger chip. Of course they could have used more of that real estate for rasterization, but they see RT (and so do most developers) as the next step in graphics. We're not going to see 70% rasterization uplift in a 7nm Turing successor either IMO.

I wasn't specifically talking about rasterization uplift. Pascal didn't have 70% rasterization uplift. It was Cuda cores and clock speed mostly. However, I do expect that AMD can make a big leap in rasterization GCN hasn't been replaced in ages. Their next gen in 2020 I expect it to make improvements in rasterization. Nvidia had the last major uplift with Maxwell. If AMD can improve their per core performance with next gen on top of major node shrink to 7nm and uplift in clock speed we can have a really decent chip. One of those scenarios where a company has no where to go but up since they have had an architecture in place for so long. It happened with ryzen and will probabbly happen with next gen gpu chip since GCN has been beaten on for so long.

I am one of those with a 1080Ti that was going to move to a 2080. The operative word being "was". I cancelled my pre-order. From the several reviews I have looked at now, the 2080 barely keeps pace with the 1080Ti. $800 for a card that barely matches a card that has been out 1.5 years. No thanks Nvidia. You won't get my money this time.

Ditto. Pre-order canceled. 1080Ti+$400 in my pocket FTW.

This 2080 TI is the card to have if you game at 4K. Period. It is a winner in that regard. 1440p pedestrians can skip it as they’re CPU bound. This is where you see the dismal 25% jump.
2080 TI is a solid 35%-40% jump @ 4K. HUGE for 4K guys like myself. Only the most brutal, punishing games might not see 60FPS constantly. Once DLSS hits in force, the 10-series will that much more obsolete.

Reactions: amenx
like this
This 2080 TI is the card to have if you game at 4K. Period. It is a winner in that regard. 1440p pedestrians can skip it as they’re CPU bound. This is where you see the dismal 25% jump.
2080 TI is a solid 35%-40% jump @ 4K. HUGE for 4K guys like myself. Only the most brutal, punishing games might not see 60FPS constantly. Once DLSS hits in force, the 10-series will that much more obsolete.

You, Dayaks, SixFootDuo seem like you're all the same person. You're all in your own echo chamber trying to justify your $1200+ purchase. It seems like the prudent thing to do is wait and see what happens with DLSS profiles if you all believe that is the magic bullet. See if pricing corrects itself, etc. At this point, you're just paying $1350 (I see you got the evga FTW card in another thread) to get 30-35% more performance over a 1080Ti. You could literally buy 2 1080Ti's for less than the cost of 1 2080Ti and be stuck in the same boat waiting for Nvidia to release SLI profiles instead of DLSS profiles, but you'd probably get better performance if you game at 4K.

You, Dayaks, SixFootDuo seem like you're all the same person. You're all in your own echo chamber trying to justify your $1200+ purchase. It seems like the prudent thing to do is wait and see what happens with DLSS profiles if you all believe that is the magic bullet. See if pricing corrects itself, etc. At this point, you're just paying $1350 (I see you got the evga FTW card in another thread) to get 30-35% more performance over a 1080Ti. You could literally buy 2 1080Ti's for less than the cost of 1 2080Ti and be stuck in the same boat waiting for Nvidia to release SLI profiles instead of DLSS profiles, but you'd probably get better performance if you game at 4K.
My justification for the purchase speaks for itself. 35%-40% increase @ 4K. That is what most 4K users have been waiting for. Pretty much 60FPS locked. I'm moving away from SLi, not toward it.

Ditto. Pre-order canceled. 1080Ti+$400 in my pocket FTW.

Cancelled my 2080 preorder as well. I was on the fence when it looked like 2080 would be ~10% faster than 1080 ti, now convinced 2080 has no value for me seeing it's essentially 1080 ti performance.

So I’ve been holding off on a new card for a long while and was thinking of getting a 1080ti but the price is pretty close to the 2080. I primarily game at 1080p but might be moving to 1440p soon. Would I be in any disadvantage from have less memory on the 2080?

Back