NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER and 2060 SUPER Review Roundup

They're good cards for the money. Barely faster than a 1080Ti for $500 isn't a bad deal. AMD would be smart to drop the price on Radeon VII to $500 and rethink their pricing strategy on the new NAVI cards coming out.

think I'll wait for the 2080Ti Ultra Mega FTWWTFBBQ Super Sayan OC Extreme Shroud Edition

I was hoping they'd have something beat the 2080ti on the high end.

Guess not.

The whole point is playing spoiler to the Navi Launch, so 2060 Super to spoil 5700, and 2070 Super to spoil 5700XT is all they need now. 2080 Super follows later because regular 2080 is now made redundant, but it isn't needed this week to spoil Navi.

OTOH, 2080Ti faces no update pressure at all.

Our boy Brent J, keeping it real over at FPSReview. Nice.

About as expected. Super models are a ~10-15% increase and $100 less (than launch MSRP) over their older models. This is what the RTX launch should have been last October, but I guess nV needed 10 months of giving consumers the business.

The whole point is playing spoiler to the Navi Launch, so 2060 Super to spoil 5700, and 2070 Super to spoil 5700XT is all they need now. 2080 Super follows later because regular 2080 is now made redundant, but it isn't needed this week to spoil Navi.

OTOH, 2080Ti faces no update pressure at all.

Oh, I know.

But these mid range parts just aren't interesting to me.

I currently have a Pascal Titan, and it is just barely fast enough for 4k60hz in some titles, and not fast enough by far in others.

The 2080Ti is faster, but not by enough to make it worth the investment for me.

I guess I'll go all in on the next gen replacement for the 2080ti.

They're good cards for the money. Barely faster than a 1080Ti for $500 isn't a bad deal. AMD would be smart to drop the price on Radeon VII to $500 and rethink their pricing strategy on the new NAVI cards coming out.

think I'll wait for the 2080Ti Ultra Mega FTWWTFBBQ Super Sayan OC Extreme Shroud Edition

I don't know if AMD can afford to drop the price of the Radeon VII. 16GB of HBM2 is already damn near half the cost of the card.

I don't know if AMD can afford to drop the price of the Radeon VII. 16GB of HBM2 is already damn near half the cost of the card.

They're more likely to just stop selling the parts as Radeons and keep them for Instinct cards- perhaps even if they have to make a new model for 'lower performing' dies.

Of course, they could just slow production and keep it at the same MSRP too, because it's still a competitive compute product for consumers.

I like that 2060 super. Both those cards appear like that are built well. Nie performance boost over their predecessors.
Anyone else curious about the 2060 possibly manufactured by Samsung at 11nm?

Anyone else curious about the 2060 possibly manufactured by Samsung at 11nm?

It would be an interesting development; Nvidia has historically moved smaller parts over first as a hedge against yield issues while they work through production with the foundry. So the RTX 2060 makes sense.

Nice refresh, and except for the 2060, keeping the prices the same as the base models. Disappointed that they raised the power draw. I wonder if you could tweak these (undervolt perhaps?) to draw the same power as the non-super versions, to see how much improvement is by refinement and how much is due to pumping more electricity through them.

I just installed my referb 1080Ti that I got from Zotac for $440 which is still looking like a good deal as I don't play any games that would use the RTX features.

Nice refresh, and except for the 2060, keeping the prices the same as the base models. Disappointed that they raised the power draw. I wonder if you could tweak these (undervolt perhaps?) to draw the same power as the non-super versions, to see how much improvement is by refinement and how much is due to pumping more electricity through them.

These are the same chips, so to get more performance, it's going to take more power.

These are the same chips, so to get more performance, it's going to take more power.
If that were the case, then these are nothing more than OC'd versions of the original. Reading TFPSR article, there was certainly some differences, such as additional ROP's and CUDA cores, which would indicate some level of refinement over the original chips. If it's just a case of "feed more power" than isn't that what people were so angry at AMD for doing during the 290 and Fury days?

If that were the case, then these are nothing more than OC'd versions of the original. Reading TFPSR article, there was certainly some differences, such as additional ROP's and CUDA cores, which would indicate some level of refinement over the original chips. If it's just a case of "feed more power" than isn't that what people were so angry at AMD for doing during the 290 and Fury days?

Not really- they did bring one of the larger dies to a lower-end SKU, but otherwise, they're just disabling less of the cores for some products, and in both cases this increases power draw.

My understanding is they just used the next larger chip up of the existing process.

That said, considering the process must be pretty mature by now, they probably bin better, so they can do more with less voltage and heat.

It's just a better cut of the original chips (RTX 2060 Super = only slightly cut 2070, with full 256-but bus), and the RTX 2070 Super steps-up to being a cut-down 2080. Add in higher boost clocks to complete the upgrade.

There is no new silicon, only different cuts (due to better yields).

2070 Super FE has my interest.Will pony up 500 for one.Still waiting for AMD to do something,but not for long.
Yea for Brent Justice review.

Didn't realize the regular 2080 and 2070 are now going to be EOL (at least according to Anandtech), but I guess that makes sense.

MavericK - I'm a bit pessimistic about the 2080 Super, considering it gets the tiniest bump in SPs (+4.3%) compared to both the 2060 Super (+13.3%) and 2070 Super (+11.1%).
I recall Buildzoid saying all RTX skus, except for the 2080Ti, are power limited. So what the heck is possible with the 2080 Super, if not ramped up clocks, but still stuck under the power limiter?

While rumors had suggested a cutdown TU102 for the 2080 Super, based on the Techpowerup table, that's not the case either; it's just another TU104.

Why is "street price" funny to me?

hello-sir-id-like-to-purchase-some-drugs-please-life-41478880.png

not that impressed honestly. They basically made it swap blows with 5700xt I guess + rtx. I guess we can Thank AMD for the prices because if there was no 5700xt Nvidia would have likely priced these 50-100 above the price this price.

if 5700 XT OC's and gets close to VII which I think it might. I think it's worth the 450 I think.

Last edited:
The RTX 2070 super appears to be more power efficient than 1080ti at least on gaming.

Looking at anandtech reports here and here, my guess is that the 2070 super might be a good crunching card and perhaps might perform close to 1080ti. Hope to see more compute comparison beside gaming which is the primary driver.

I really want to upgrade from my 980ti, thinking the 2080 super might be it but now I think I'll keep playing the waiting game. Only game on the horizon that'll force me to upgrade is cyberpunk.

MavericK - I'm a bit pessimistic about the 2080 Super, considering it gets the tiniest bump in SPs (+4.3%) compared to both the 2060 Super (+13.3%) and 2070 Super (+11.1%).
I recall Buildzoid saying all RTX skus, except for the 2080Ti, are power limited. So what the heck is possible with the 2080 Super, if not ramped up clocks, but still stuck under the power limiter?

While rumors had suggested a cutdown TU102 for the 2080 Super, based on the Techpowerup table, that's not the case either; it's just another TU104.

Perhaps, I am curious to see how it matches up to the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti, as well as the original 2080.

Without a 2080TI refresh the VII is still the card to get for a lot of pro workloads. Its already a bargain.

Those look good for the money. I have a 1080Ti sitting here that I may sell and it looks like these cards really didn't hurt the market on that card much. As others have said I would be curious where the new 2080 Super stacks up.

still looks to me that buying a used 1080 TI/TI FE is still the better deal than any RTX cards. ray tracing is meh and kills performance still. Until that isn't a problem, would bother when a 11gb TI FE can be found for 450 bucks.

Didn't realize the regular 2080 and 2070 are now going to be EOL (at least according to Anandtech), but I guess that makes sense.

According to the press briefer, they aren't officially EOL yet but the expectation is that the market will speak as to whether they continue.

Translation? They are EOL and will be priced to move considering how they compare to the SUPER cards and will disappear when stock runs out.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I just installed my referb 1080Ti that I got from Zotac for $440 which is still looking like a good deal as I don't play any games that would use the RTX features.
Hotter. No rtx. Slightly slower. Only 90 day warranty instead of 3 years. I'd have to recommend anyone from here on out skips the 1080ti, since the 2070 super is here.

Hotter. No rtx. Slightly slower. Only 90 day warranty instead of 3 years. I'd have to recommend anyone from here on out skips the 1080ti, since the 2070 super is here.
The first 2 don't matter at all to me, the 3rd depends on the game, and the warranty I can live with. There haven't been any Super cards for sale so you can't really make a value comparison until third party cards are available. I wager I saved $50-150 over a 2070 Super and it was worth it for me to jump on it 11 days ago and I still think it was worth it today (although a little less so). If RTX matters at all to you then I would agree that a 2070 Super would likely we a slightly better choice but I that isn't relevant to me. Plus I wasn't willing to spend over $450 (pretax and shipping) so a 2070 Supper wasn't in my price range anyway.

Man, I really need the 2080 Super benchmarks to be released. Been sitting on my 1080 since launch (3 years now? damn) with nowhere to go bang for buck-wise until maybe now.

Maybe the 2080 Super will be my answer. I'd really like something somewhat affordable before CP launches... want that max(ish) 1440p 144hz goodness back in my life on AAA games. idk, one can hope :unsure:

I'd have to recommend anyone from here on out skips the 1080ti, since the 2070 super is here.
Solid recommendation. I just wish the 2070 Super had like 12GB of vRAM. Oh well. Also woulda been nice if the 2070 Super was $400 but that's not the kind of world we live in today. I agree with most that the Super series is what the original RTX launch shoulda been like.

So is the 2070 Super better than the 1080Ti at 1440p and just overall?

With less vram?

Also 1080Ti 3504 CUDA cores vs 2500 or so CUDA cores of the 2070 Super?

Last edited:
Back